Magnaflow 15609, lost considerable torque on low end

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003 | 03:32 PM
|
Magnaflow 15609, lost considerable torque on low end

I installed this thinking I would be going ahead in performance, but honestly I think I went backward. I had this kit installed about a month ago and did nothing else other than adding a K&N filter in the stock housing, to my 01 Screw offroad with 5.4 w/ 38k. I did not notice any gains or losses other than a nice sound which I was looking for in normal driving. I recently went on a fishing trip and I pulled my boat. It is just an 18ft fish & ski. It felt like I was pulling a 60ft yacht loaded with coal. It seemed like I had the anchor out when taking off from a dead stop up to about 50 then she started to beller. Maximum maintenance has been done to the boat trailer & the truck, so I am attributing the loss in low end torque to the exhaust.

Anybody else had this happen? What can be done to correct it other than the obvious?

A chip or micortuner are a thought, but would they give me low end torque back?

Old 07-18-2003 | 03:48 PM
Hmmm, Troyer Performance claims torque increase across the band. I'd hope there is no torque loss as I tow a travel trailer, and this exhaust is going on soon.

Old 07-18-2003 | 05:53 PM
Thats the reason I am taking off two of the four cats, and welding a 40 series to the stock pipes. It will sound awesome, and it wont affect performance too much.

- Rick -

Old 07-18-2003 | 06:00 PM
i was gating ready to do a catback with 3" and a magaflow but do not know if i want to now i have a Screw with a 5.4 to anyone alse know about plsaes let me know i don't tow bit would hate to lose any torque

Old 07-19-2003 | 10:40 AM
I installed the Magnaflow exhaust and the K&N drop in filter, and I feel that I gained greater throttle response and a small gain in torque across the the whole gain. You MUST reset the computer so that it can achieve the best settings for your new mods. I reset mine and I noticed a big difference.

Old 07-19-2003 | 08:00 PM
I thought I was crazy - I believe I've lost some low end power after installing the catback system. I used to be able to spin the tires easily from a stop (going in a straight line - no brake standing), now they rarely break loose...

I almost regret getting the system.

I've got a 2001 supercrew w/ the 5.4l eng & no other mods.

Old 07-19-2003 | 09:49 PM
I had a similar set up installed on my truck. 3" cat back but not the 15609, but just 3"pipe and an 18" muffler instead of the 24" that came with the 15609. I really like the sound, but I too lost low end torque.

I am with rball5. I used to be able to spin my tires from a stop, now I can't break them free.....

I have a the ignition performance upgrade kit (accel wires, denso plugs and accel coil packs), K&N drop in filter and superchip microtuner installed as well. I was going to go for an AF1, I haven't seen much from the mods I have installed. I am just going to save for a supercharger, and not mess around with the "up to ?? HP gained" type mods.

Old 07-24-2003 | 08:55 AM
|
hmmmm....

Maybe it is just all hype. I would sure hate to think so and that I wasted my money or need to spend more money to make it work. I am thinking about droping back to the original diameter pipe and see if that helps? I am just wondering where all of Pro-Magnaflow guys are that know so much about this system. I was hoping for their insight. Mike??

Old 07-24-2003 | 06:20 PM
sxmax:

I have a 3" SS Magnaflow Muffler, Mod#14219, 14" length with custom exhaust SI/SO on my 2001 5.4L and picked up good HP across the board, especially low end. I tow with my SCrew on occasion.

After talking to Mike T. a couple years ago, I did this mod, Superchip & K&N FIPK) and realized significant improvement.

Since then, I have underdrive pulleys and electric fan kit from Mike T. The only left to do (within current budget) is the Denso Iridium Plugs and Ignition upgrade.

Chirp the tires......oh, you betcha!!!

Hope you find out what's causing this. Is the kit a SI/DO or SI/SO like mine? Did it include a "Y" pipe to replace the factory?

When we cut off the OEM pipe on mine stock 2.5 "Y" pipe only had an opening bout the diameter of a 1/2 dollar. Talk about a restriction.

I've heard rumours where some go to a 3.5" system DO and lose backpressure.

I'd probably call Mike T. and ask him.

Good Luck

Old 07-25-2003 | 06:23 AM
APT
So you pulled this same boat before you did the mods and it seemed to drive better?

I would clean the MAF. I have heard of some K&N filters being overoiled from the factory. If that oil gets o nther MAF, it can dramatically affect the air to fuel ratio which impacts performance. It would be a good place to start.

Old 07-25-2003 | 09:00 AM
|
Cleaning MAF

Yep, it was the same boat.

I have heard alot of people talk about cleaning their MAF. How do I go about doing it? I talked to the local shops and they suggested not cleaning and that you could possibly wreck it if you try to clean it.

Any advice or instruction would be great?

Old 07-25-2003 | 10:33 PM
I think there is a higher chance of damaging this extremely sensitive unit if you use a Q-Tip with an aerosol cleaner than aerosol cleaner alone. Mishandling (when getting the thing off and on) of the MAF also increases risk of damage as well. Be careful!

Here's what I did: I removed the entire MAF housing with the MAF still attached, then sprayed "CRC QD Electric Grade Contact Cleaner-no residue and plastic safe (aerosol)" several times on the front and the back of the MAF. Got a drink, waited about 15 minutes, then resprayed it several times again (Note that I did not even physically the unit at all, not even with a Q-Tip) Waited till the unit was COMPLETELY DRY, wiped the housing down (still not touching the MAF), then reinstalled it back on the truck. Im not recommending that you should or should not do this procedure, I just stating what I did to give you some ideas. Be careful!

I usually use this spray to clean/refurbish sensitive circuit boards at work so I know it's effective.

Old 07-26-2003 | 08:28 AM
APT
Just follow what Kali said. No touching.

Old 07-26-2003 | 12:00 PM
Thumbs up Loss of Torque???

There has to be something else going on for you? I have a '01 5.4L SuperCrew and I'm methodically one stepping the HP...
Started w/ AirForce 1 intake; MagnaFlow 15609 CatBack SI/SO; SuperChips MicroTuner; Duel Electric Fans; under drive pulley system. I've seen very good (how be it, "seat of the pants") performance with each. Just relocated to New Mexico from Washington State...travel was 2950miles and I averaged 18.3mpg. I doubled checked then triple checked this and the high was 18.9mpg, with a low of 17.8mpg through the mountains; the last two items added two days prior to leaving was the Duel Electric fans, and under drive pulleys. I'd chat with Mike T. he will not steer you wrong...or at least I have to say I'm very happy with his advice and the performance I'm getting...just dusted a '03 RAM from light to light last week...he was looking at me very curiously, I just smiled...again, seat of the pants! but FUN.now on to the tranny! and ignition...
more to come!

Last edited by polingt; 07-26-2003 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-28-2003 | 05:08 PM
|
Maybe.....

it isn't the exhaust. My truck seems to fall on its face after it shifts into second gear unless you are really getting on it. It is like it is shifting in the wrong place or overdrive kicks in too soon. I noticed under the hood there was a sticker from trhe dealer that said they reprogrammed the PCM one of the last times I had it in. Do you think they screwed up on the program and why would they change it? I brought it in for the check engine light coming on.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow 15609, lost considerable torque on low end