Does going to Duals = Loss HP ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does going to Duals = Loss HP ??

I have a 01 Super Crew 5.4L and am switching my exhuast out with a Lightning ! And was wondering if I'll lose low end HP ? I know some of ya'll are probly thinking why do the switch ! Well, where I live they are very strict on emissions, so much that they have these exhaust booths set up on serivec roads or on ramps for highways, that sample your exhaust and if it shows you fail you can get a ticket ! Anyway going with a L exhaust will save me some money instead of going out buying new cats and pipe. I just want to know if I'll loss HP.

Old 08-09-2003, 01:13 AM
Not sure about the L's exhaust, but Mike Troyer advertises that the Magnaflows don't have the low-end HP loss. You can research this more at TroyerPerformance.com. He also sells Magnaflow high-flow cats.

Old 08-09-2003, 09:48 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would say no. My G-Tech 60' times are better with the Bassani "cat-back" for the L vs the Gibson ST exht that I has on for ~ 14 months. Also the cruising vac readins at 85 are in the 14 in/Hg area so I should still be pulling good mpg rates at high speed ( not the primary reason for the system, just something that I happen to notice after the "testing" of the WOT runs around town from the new system.

The talk of "Lost low end TQ" are from SOTP dyno runs, which maybe confusing a lack of back pressure with TQ. The almost objective ( more like subjective ) test was a complaint of towing with a new system, but that in itself is not a good indication, as there was no note of how long it hand been from the last time towing, and was the member just paying more attention to the towning then with stock ??

Just so you know, unless it is a dB level test, the after market system would not fail any EPA tests. The cats are what control the EPA part of the system, and with any dual system, it is not required to swap out the cats. That is a personal choice, and something like a MagnaFlow high flow cat, conform to the EPA guidelines for emission control. As for the dB level part, Magnaflow makes 2 different size mufflers for different sound levels, ask Mike Troyer.

If you do go with the stock L system, you are going to alot of work cutting out the factory Y pipe, and installing the individual dumps for the muffler, and maybe getting little return on the money spent. You might be better with a X pipe and 2 SI/SO mufflers.

Old 08-12-2003, 09:46 AM
I don't think its going to be alot of work. Because everything should match up ! except for the length and then I'll have to add some pipe to it. I think this is a relative cheap mod to do ! Most people pay alot $$ for a dual system, and if you can find one off a L' for cheap, your better off. I'll let you know when I'm finshed

Quick Reply: Does going to Duals = Loss HP ??