Magnaflow Hype

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003 | 10:59 AM
|
Magnaflow Hype

What is all the hype about the magnaflow system? It looks like spintech, flowmaster,dynomax, and gibson show better #'s on the dyno. When magnaflow was used in some applications, they even lost power compared to the stock system. Just cause Mario Andretti endorses the product, doesn't mean it's the best, perhaps the best at being noisy, but definitely not performance.

Old 08-14-2003 | 01:26 PM
Show us those better numbers. The 15609 cat back from magnaflow has more tourque than the same style gibson catback.
Mike Troyer showed his numbers on that a long time ago. Flowmaster is for sound not performance with most of their catbacks. You may be able to put together a better system by mixing and matching parts but for a simple bolt on cat back none of the brands you mentioned "show better numbers" than the 15609 Magnaflow. Look at the RPM of where the tourque peak is. That is more important than the actual peak value. I would rather have 15 pounds down low than 20 pounds at 5000 rpm. A higher peak value is not necessarily a "better" number. Do some research.

Last edited by Norm; 08-14-2003 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-14-2003 | 02:00 PM
APT
fastgascar,

The hype we speak of is a properly designed system, not a muffler and hacked up piping. Comparing the full systems availible such as Maganflow #15609 vs. the brands you listed and their comparable full systems they market, I would like to see your evidence that shows which system provided better results over the useful engine operating speeds. Of course, this applies only to the F-150 system as I don't have or have read much experience for other vehicles. Also, i have heard of some "custom exhausts" using select components from many companies that have shown both positive and negative results vs. stock.

Old 08-15-2003 | 08:11 AM
|
I think if you really want the best you would get the spintech kit.

European car did a test on a variety of cat backs last year on a little 4cyl 1.8T and @ wheels the the car lost 8HP, is the V8 in the F150 so different that magnaflow would completely redesign a "wide open" system that would increase the HP?

The guys on stangnet, svtoa try the magnaflow systems and they usually end up with something else, the most common response is that the magnaflow isn't as good as the other systems.

So could we all be wrong?

If you want inexpensive, I would say the MAC is the best buy...throw in a CAI and you gain 24HP@RW...... for less than $400

Good luck

Last edited by fastgascar; 08-15-2003 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-15-2003 | 09:06 AM
You can get the magnaflow for less than 300 at some places like Full-Line Exhaust. It is not about cost, it is about proven performance. You cannot compare tests on a four banger with a 5000 pound truck. Show us numbers on f-150 versus f-150. The Spintech is a nice system and a few guys have them and enjoy them. They compare well to the Magnaflow, but the Magnaflow is Stainless and cheaper. Where does their tourque peak? Do they have a lifetime warranty?
"Magnaflow power gains typically average about 17-19 HP on the 4.6 & 18-21 HP on the 5.4 motor. Thanks to the largest peak power gains as well as more torque at any throttle position or rpm, this cat-back system is literally perfect for any kind of use, typical daily driver, *great* for towing, all the way up to actual drag racing, this exhaust adds more power all the time in any situation."

Last edited by Norm; 08-15-2003 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-15-2003 | 09:50 AM
Norm,

Where did you get your information that they average those gains?

I bet if you read carefully it says "Up to" those numbers.

That also sounds like a quote from Troyer Performance website.

Try asking for a guarantee for those numbers and see what kind of response you get!

Need to remember that the sites are all in business to make money. Don't always believe what you read in their advertisements.

Also most people are not going to admit that they didn't get much gain when they spent that much money on a system. Besides I doubt you can "feel" that amount of HP. Some websites have done dynos that show only a single hp gain from a catback system.

From a post Mike Troyer made:

You live long enough, you hear it all..............everybody with a product to sell hypes it, it's just a matter of how much (or how badly) they do it. That's one of the reasons we operate as we do, testing, both formal and informal, to determine which parts to carry. We don't waste time & money carrying every brand of intake, or every brand of exhaust, or every different CNC cylinder head program etc. We do our best to identify the parts that are generally doing the best job (when there a "best" one, I should say) and use that, so that when our customers order it we know we've provided them with the best part we could.

Notice he said everybody....I believe that includes him...he is in sales as well. Don't get me wrong....I have gotten all my stuff from Troyer Performance. For the most part, they have great customer service (I have only read of one problem on this site. My experience has been excellent). I just don't expect to "feel the power" from the mods I do. I would expect to feel a supercharger, not intake and exhaust mods though. I don't believe the engineers at ford would leave much HP in those areas.

Old 08-15-2003 | 10:13 AM
Thumbs down

amateurs!

Old 08-15-2003 | 01:41 PM
Chofu, that quote was from Mike Troyer, yes he is a salesman but those were proven results not advertisements. Mike spent a lot of time testing and tuning F-150s with various systems and found the Magnaflow to be the best. I trust him. Buy what you like, believe who you want, it makes no difference to me.

Old 08-15-2003 | 05:48 PM
Winning is proof enough for me...........

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=123264

Old 08-15-2003 | 09:41 PM
Norm,

Call and ask for a guarantee for those numbers!

Kenne Bell web sight says they have "proven results" as well.

AND that is my point "believe who you want".

Magnaflow may be the best.

I bought the magnaflow set up for that reason, I believed what I read. Did I gain 20hp, I don't know, I didn't dyno it. I like the sound...which is what I was after.

Like I said, I have bought all my mods from Troyer Performance, and will probably buy a few more. Their customer service has been excellent. I trust them too. I know when I ask them what to expect, they tell me to the best of there experience, but they also say they don't guarantee those numbers.

Last edited by chofu; 08-15-2003 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-16-2003 | 12:00 AM
Just to add to the controversy, exhaust specialties.com has a flow chart(unnamed source) showing flows for stock, flowmaster, dynomax, and flo-pro which shows flo-pro flows more. That should keep this discussion going lol.

Old 08-16-2003 | 05:57 PM
Since eberyone here is talking about magnaflow, what magnaflow muffler would be good for my 03 v6? i want to just buy the muffler and have a shop put it in with a dump right before the rear axle.

Old 08-17-2003 | 06:03 PM
My question is that on that 1.8 was it a complete system from magnaflow or was it just the muffler? I ask this b/c magnaflow syas that their systems (not mufflers only) are guaranteed to make more power over stock. Now this doesnt mean the mufflers wont but its not "guaranteed"....Myself, I think Magnaflow is the best for performance and I plan on goin w/ it on my truck. But if you want loud and not so much performance go w/ flowmaster. 2 cents.

Old 08-22-2003 | 07:19 PM
|
Custom Magnaflow

Okay I am going to break down and try it, but I am going to do it a little different, I am going to replace the "Y" with an "X" Pipe(10788), then I will run (2) 2.5" pipes to a dual in dual out muffler (12568) then I will run two more mandrel bent exhaust pipes exiting before the tire. Has anyone used these parts? What were the results? Pros and Cons? All opinions are welcome. I have the weekend to think about it, then the truck will go under the knife. This is being done on a '02 SuperCrew 4wd with the 5.4

Old 08-23-2003 | 08:59 PM
dlb
Re: Custom Magnaflow

Originally posted by fastgascar
Okay I am going to break down and try it, but I am going to do it a little different, I am going to replace the "Y" with an "X" Pipe(10788), then I will run (2) 2.5" pipes to a dual in dual out muffler (12568) then I will run two more mandrel bent exhaust pipes exiting before the tire. Has anyone used these parts? What were the results? Pros and Cons? All opinions are welcome. I have the weekend to think about it, then the truck will go under the knife. This is being done on a '02 SuperCrew 4wd with the 5.4
Check this thread out --> https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=123053

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Hype