Is it unsafe not to have a tailpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003 | 12:37 PM
|
Question Is it unsafe not to have a tailpipe?

I recently purchased a used 1995 Chevrolet Suburban. I noticed that the truck had a Nice mean sound to it, in which I thought were flowmaster. I looked under the truck and noticed that there is not a tailpipe coming from the muffler? It has the cat and muffler and from the muffler, there is about 3 inches and that's it. The muffler extends a little past the 2nd door on the passenger side (I can see it if I look between the passenger rear tire) I'm concerned about CARBONMONOXIDE poisening being that the exhaust is not exiting the rear. Do you know how safe this is......? Should I put a tailpipe on it?

Old 08-18-2003 | 01:15 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
That is illegal in Virginia, the pipe must be out from under the vehicle.

I would think that if you could get a ticket in VA for that then in California you would at least be dragged from the vehicle and beaten.

Old 08-18-2003 | 01:20 PM
|
Wow, do we Californians have a bad name or what?
Actually, I'm not concerned with it be illegal or legal, I'm concerned about it being safe...more than anything. A buddy of mine said that if the cat and muffler is on the vehicle then it's legal and safe but I need to be more convinced. I can put a pipe on there but if I don't need to then I'm not

Thx,
Dee

Old 08-18-2003 | 01:25 PM
Most places the legality is based on your safety concerns, in which tailpipes must extend PASSED all passenger compartments, so in my opinion, no it's not safe on your vehicle...

Old 08-18-2003 | 06:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I would only be concerned if you ever sit in traffic, and have xhst gas "pool" up under the body of the truck. If there is any place for it to rise into the passenger compartment, it will, quickly.

Just thinking of all the options of street use cars, all the pipe exit after the most rear window in the vehicle. Just thinking back to Lakers ( side pipes for you kids ) side exit xhst pipes, etc.

I would think you would want to add some pipe to get it out the sides of the truck.
Don't do the rear exits with a sub, if you ever want to drive with the rear window open, rear exits are a no-no.

Find a muffler shop ASAP, and get yourself 50.00 worth of pipe to have those exit either in front or behind the rear tires.

Good luck.

Old 08-29-2003 | 05:23 AM
My pal has a 93 5.0 Stang. He has the the exhaust dumped behind the rear seats. The smell is overpowering on hot day in traffic. but it sure does sound good.

Just a matter of what your priorities are...breathing clean air or having an amazing sound.

Old 08-29-2003 | 09:22 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Talking

Originally posted by mf150
...Just a matter of what your priorities are...breathing clean air or having an amazing sound.
Harp music is an amazing sound.

Old 09-01-2003 | 02:18 AM
im just checkin here but do u know your talkin about a chevy and its unsafe to drive anyway?

Quick Reply: Is it unsafe not to have a tailpipe?