Duals out the rear

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003 | 11:20 PM
|
Duals out the rear

I read from exhaust companies that duals out of the rear will not work on my truck. It is a 2001 Super Crew, 4.6liter with 17 inch wheels, 4wd. Is there anyone that makes dual exhaust that exits out of the rear? I don't want to have exhaust custom made. Want it louder than stock, but not screaming loud. What are my options?

Old 08-27-2003 | 09:35 AM
Flowmasters

Old 08-27-2003 | 11:22 AM
APT
Magnaflow and Borla make stainless dual out rear that will work just fine for you.

Old 08-28-2003 | 11:27 AM
I just had an exhaust shop use flowmaster mufflers and custom make me a system. Cost was about $350 for it.

Old 08-29-2003 | 12:53 AM
|
so magnaflow, borla, and flowmaster will all work without removing the spare tire, because i read some systems you have to remove your spare tire. In what order would you rate the systems by sound/price? What are the loudest systems, what are the quietest in that order? I am either looking at the Gibson super truck system, or whatever system I may find that will run out of the back with my truck with 17 inch wheels and i don't have to remove the spare tire. Thanks. Also, if you have any soundclips of your exhaust on a 4.6L, please post them. Thanks again.

Old 08-29-2003 | 01:24 AM
i had my stock muffler cut out and a Y pipe put in and duals out the back with chrome tips. Daaaam it sounds good. Its not ear-ripping loud, but nice and 'ballsy'

Old 08-29-2003 | 01:24 AM
i had my stock muffler cut out and a Y pipe put in and duals out the back with chrome tips. Daaaam it sounds good. Its not ear-ripping loud, but nice and 'balsy'

Old 08-29-2003 | 07:10 AM
APT
Super truck exits on the side, before the rear tire. There is a Gibson dual out rear, but it does interfere with 17" spares.

Magnaflow $400-500 for all stainless.
Borla $500-600 for all stainless.
Flowmaster Force II $375 for aluminized steel.

They will all be about the same loudness level, with three distinct tones. I consider Borla and Magnaflow equal in terms of power and quality. I happen to not like Borla tips on pickups. Also IMHO I don't like Flowmaster. I had it once and I liked it then, but that stage of my life is over. It sounds liek crap to me now.

There is always the custom route. You can get the dual tail pipes for about $80, some tips for $50/pair, and a SIDO muffler of whatever brand you prefer for $75-125. Installation should be under $100 at a decent shop. You can also decide how loud you want it as the sizew of the muffler is proportional to the loudness. The smaller the muffler (of the same design), then louder.

Old 08-29-2003 | 01:32 PM
|
I'm pretty much looking at flowmaster and gibson super truck now. Found them both for the same price. 299.99. The flowmaster forceII system is the only one they make for my truck. Is it any louder than stock? And how long would an aluminized system last? How does the gibson super truck sound in person? Louder than stock? Let me know.

Old 08-29-2003 | 07:52 PM
|
Now i've also heard good stuff about the dynomax super turbo system. Anyone heard or had experience with these?

Old 09-03-2003 | 05:01 AM
XC,

I had a set of the Turbo's on one of my cars several years back. Actually they were made by a different company then but the sae basic muffler. I had them on a true dual system w/headers behind a 360 c.i. in an AMX. I really loved the sound they gave and the way they reacted. Really low rumble at idle that was nice and suttle, similar to the idle of a bone stock Mustang GT. They got much louder under hard acceleration but still not as loud as say the 50 series flows. I kinda was looking for the stock sleeper effect which I think worked out nicely. IMO, if you are looking for the V8 rumble and performance with manageable sound the turbos are a good choice. Oh, the turbos that I used at the time did have baffles that would open up when under heavy throttle and become glasspack like in both sound and performance.

As for cost savings I think you would be better off just visiting a reputable exhaust shop and having them do a custom exhaust for you. Most shops could even do stainless if you want, although they may have to order the stainless stock. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Duals out the rear