H pipe or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
H pipe or not?

I am planning on putting on true duel exaust on my new truck. flowmaster says they strongly recomend a H pipe in the exaust system. their explaination of why didn't make real sense to me. is it really something nessessary and why? it sounds like to me they are just trying to sell me something more than I really need. any info on this would be appreciated. thanx

Old 09-09-2003, 10:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Actually don't waste your time with the H pipe, go with the X pipe.

If you are doing true duals, you should have some type of a cross over of some sorts, and the Modular engines seem to react best to a X pipe.

I did the Bassani "cat-back" for a L which is factory Duals, and the kit came with the X pipe. Neal did his with the Magnaflow parts, and did the Magnaflow X pipe.

This is for correcting the xhst gas pulses is the reason I understand to be the need for the X pipe, as well as with a X ( vs a H pipe ) you will get scavenger effect of the xhst gases that will actually help draw the xhst out of the system.

Keep in mind, to at least the input of the mufflers needs to be in SS pipe, perferably 16 awg 304 SS pipe, not aluminized steel pipe.

This is to keep the xhst gas temp up, which is part of what causes the scavenger effect.

Quick Reply: H pipe or not?