Magnaflow w/stock pipes

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Magnaflow w/stock pipes

Hello all!

I am a new 2003 F-150, 5.4L, Supercrew 4x4 owner and love the truck. I use the Screw for family and business trips, and live in a neighborhood that is relatively quite.

My problem is the truck doesn't make as much noice as my wife's Sebring, and that is not right! I want a low deep noice at idle and I want people to know it has a 5.4L when I punch it, but still be able to have a conversation in the cab. I want to maintain a stock look, but have already put the K&N air filter in to get towards optimum performance.

I like what I read about the Magnaflow, but was wondering if anyone has installed the Magnaflow muffler but used the existing pipes to maintain a stock appearance? If this is the wrong thing to do, I may be the full catback, but interested in your thoughts.

Regards,
Bill

Old 09-15-2003, 08:54 AM
On my 02 FX4 Supercab I had the magnaflow muffler with stock pipes, and overall I thought it was average at best. It is very affordable, but you will not get much improvement over the stock noise level. The best way to describe it is a hint louder than stock, but a deeper tone. For the money it's not too bad.

On my 03 FX4 Supercrew I recently installed the Borla SI/SO system and I absolutely love it! It gives you a quiet in cab sound under normal driving conditions, and when you apply more than 1/2 throttle, a nice, deep yet unobtrusive growl is very audible, both in cab and out. Having had the Gibson SI/SO system on a 99 Supercab, Magnaflow replacement muffler on my 02 Supercab, and Borla SI/SO on my 03 SCrew, my choice is Borla. I would highly recommend you look into purchasing it at www.truckperformance.com as I got the system shipped to my door for $415.00.

Old 09-15-2003, 04:02 PM
W08FX4, I appreciate the feedback. Based on the proice you stated, I assume that your Borla was the complete cat-back...right?

I wish I had the opportunity to line up a few SCrews and compare the sound and performance of systems, but without that option, I appreciate the opinions of those like yourself who can offer your thoughts.

It looks like I will opt for a cat-back system, and I will seriously consider the Borla. There does seem to be many dealer options in the Raleigh NC area who offers the Borla, so this may be a "sight unseen" and "sound unheard" decision.

Old 09-17-2003, 07:11 PM
I had an 18" Magnaflow put on my truck about a month ago and it was the exact sound I was looking for. They simply cut out the stock muffler and welded in the new one. They had to add a short piece if pipe to make up for the length of the old muffler. Other than that it is stock looking. I have people tell me that they really like the deep tone and they want to know what I did so they can get the same thing done. It is not real loud but loud enough for people to say "now that is a good sounding V8". For $100 installed I couldnt ask for more.

Just my 2 cents worth!!!!!

Sean

Old 09-21-2003, 10:17 AM
I had a 4"x18" Magnaflow installed yesterday, and left the remainder of the system in place. I asked about replacing the pipe from the muffler back with 3" but the shop said I would not see any niticable different and it wasn't worth the money...so I took their advise.

The sound is perfect (deep but not enough to wake up the neighborhood) and the interior cab noice wasn't even noticable. I am very satisfied. Thanks for the comments for everyone.

Old 09-21-2003, 08:37 PM
Cool

Compare sound here
http://www.exhaustsoundclips.com/ford.html

I added a Flowmaster 40 series Delta Flow to my stock pipes and love it. See details and clips here
http://www.exhaustsoundclips.com/veh..._2000_150.html

Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Magnaflow w/stock pipes