why doesnt flowmaster add gains

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003 | 12:03 PM
|
why doesnt flowmaster add gains

not an expert on exhausts, just arguing with a buddy why magnaflow add higher gains than flowmaster, can someone please explain to me why some exhausts have more performance than others, and why flowmasters are loud and thats about it, oh and why magnaflow is better(gains) than flowmaster

any info would be greatly appriciated, hopefully i
learn something today.

thanx again

eh eh alllll right!

Old 10-10-2003 | 07:38 AM
APT
I honestly think Flowmaster engineers do not design with performance as the number one criteria. Their sound sells them and any gains one may get are just a bonus.

The chamber design of muffler is going to flow less (ironic with the name) than a straight through design such as Magnaflow and some others.

Old 10-21-2003 | 04:34 PM
The reason Flowmasters do not put up gains, just noise, is because of their design. Go to a speed shop that has one cut open. You will see where the exhaust enters into the muffler it runs into a baffle plate. The exhaust is then pushed to both sides and slams into the side of the muffler which then directs it to bounce back into the center to hit another baffle plate and so on and so on. Basically the noise comes from the exhaust hitting every portion of the muffler and the lack of performance is because it has to change directions 4-5 times.

I prefer a straight thru or slight S-bend setup like Borla, They are sweet sounding and roar when you get on them. Plus, you can see daylight through them, try that with a flowmaster. It is simple physics, straight thru means less backpressure that the engine has to fight to get the exhaust out. But also remember, not enough back-pressure and the engine will lose power. So the choice is yours on what muffler you want, power, sound or both. With Borla I got both and I do not have that stupid droning sound at high speeds, just a mellow note from the pipes.

Brian

Quick Reply: why doesnt flowmaster add gains