New Aero-Turbine muffler

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004 | 09:16 AM
from the pictures.. IMHO, they kinda look like the fart cans I see on all those 4 cylinder foreign cars..

Old 09-02-2004 | 09:45 AM
I have had them on my Porsche and my little Ranger. In addition to sounding great my gas mileage went up: 6 MPG on the Porsche and 5 on the Ranger.

I plan on getting them installed on my new F150 soon.

Great place to get them here is www.budsmuffler.com. Talk to Conrad

Old 09-02-2004 | 01:02 PM
APT
No exhaust system (or muffler for that matter) will improve fuel economy by 6mpg.

Old 09-02-2004 | 01:23 PM
Went to AeroTurbines site and did some looking around. Under the item 'Benefits', they had a picture of a '98 Vette that had like a 50HP gain.

Either my peanut butter sandwich was laced with something, or I'm just getting old, but if that is a '98 Vette, I must have been in hibernation for the last 20 years .... '78, I'll believe.

Old 09-02-2004 | 02:02 PM
Hey APT:

"No exhaust system (or muffler for that matter) will improve fuel economy by 6mpg."

Well when you have your Porsche done and test it for 10k miles with oposite results then you can talk. Otherwise your blowing smoke.

My car, My Results. You want to dispute my "claim" then show me your results.

Considering there are two mufflers on the 996 AND the amount of restriction (have you cut open a 996 muffler? I have) the free flow AND the pull from the turbines does work. Now I have no affiliation with AERO or Buds it is just the facts. So since you are just throwing an opinion out you might, just might want to consider I know what I am talking about. Real world experience hurts. I originally thought the MPG increas claims were BS as well but after seeing it is TWO different settings I am a believer.

Keep cool.....

Tim

Old 09-02-2004 | 02:49 PM
(have you cut open a 996 muffler? I have)

As a matter of fact .....................

Old 09-02-2004 | 03:19 PM
Le Pew

Where were you when I needed a cut away! That is excellent info.

I was amazed at the amount of restriction on those mufflers. My current C4S has a gutted set of stock mufflers on it. The guy I sold my C2 to (with the Aero's) loves the sound.

Thanks for the useful link

Old 09-02-2004 | 03:45 PM
Sorry Tim, I came across that site a long time ago but never actually had any use for 'till now.

If anyone ever wondered what your stock muffler looks like on the insides then click the linky. BTW, the site and pics are all thanks to Seebeew.

Old 09-03-2004 | 07:05 AM
APT
Originally posted by Tim W.
So since you are just throwing an opinion out
I stated a fact, not an opinion. It may not be true, but it was no opinion. I'll let you look up the difference at dictionary.com.

You have not scientifically proven your hypothesis, that this exhaust system (alone) has given this increased fuel economy. While your claim of getting 6mpg more before and after is probably true, I'm not convinced that is the only cause for this increase in fuel economy.

Just curious on the 911's, has anyone used a straight-through designed muffler, Borla, Magnaflow, Ultraflow, etc? How does that compare to the Aero-Tubine? I will argue that the Aero Turbine muffler has no quantifiable (flow rate, measured wheel torque, vehicle fuel economy) benefits over a some of the other through designs which cost less than half as much.

You have no idea what my experience is, so don't make assuptions about me.

Last edited by APT; 09-13-2004 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-03-2004 | 11:04 AM
Who made the first assumption? But I digress

I tried bypass pipes, i.e. straight pipe on the Porsch and although it sounds good it was to much for the long run. I even had a set of Magnaflows and they were to quiet.

Being in Denver it is paramount to do a CAI and Exhaust to allow the car/truck to breath easier.

Old 09-03-2004 | 12:11 PM
APT
Originally posted by Tim W.
I tried bypass pipes, i.e. straight pipe on the Porsch and although it sounds good it was to much for the long run. I even had a set of Magnaflows and they were to quiet.
How did they compare for perceived or measured performance and fuel economy?

Old 09-10-2004 | 03:51 AM
Banned for Use of Multiple Usernames
They are crap. Most of the technical information they have on their site is crap. This is part of a lengthy discussion we had about Aeroturbine mufflers on another board...

Dr. Lee says:

This is a fake.

1. Their explanation violates the Bernoulli Principle. When the exhaust expands and slows down, its kinetic energy is converted to potential energy and the pressure INCREASES, not decreases.

2. It violates the FIRST law of thermodynamics, as well as the Second law (which most scams do). The First law is conservation of energy. The incoming exhaust has a certain kinetic energy of mass times velocity squared. This muffler is a PASSIVE device - there is no additional source of energy input to it. Yet they claim the exhaust exits FASTER. Same mass, more velocity, more energy. VIOLATION !!

3. They talk a good game about being better than a straight pipe, but all the comparisons are to "stock exhaust systems". It is easy to make a muffler with less restriction than stock, even FloMaster can do it !! And a lot of the gains are fractional. Just test-to-test variations could account for that, and they could be cherry-picking the favorable tests, if they even ran tests.

Remember, the truth is an absolute defense to a libel charge, and Dr. Lee is not worried. But for the record, this is my opinion alone, and is not the opinion of TheDieselPage.com, or any other person or entity associated therewith.

Dr. Lee

Old 09-11-2004 | 09:53 PM
JEEPS come on man....

What is your case? Go buy a flowmaster or whatever you like and stop acting like a baby.

Old 09-12-2004 | 09:52 PM
Another ripoff, this sounds like one of the universal problems, in need of power but dont have the money for the right engine, I have a right engine but need to save on fuel, i have a nice tunned engine with the right sound but heck loud is in, eventhough your truck sound crapy, you dont take your truck off road but you want to raise it 5 inches, here is where the universal problem solver come handy, an exhaust that will save you gas but looking at it, will not increase H.P. strange, very strange, a chip that will only overrun the speed limiter, no gas decrease nor H.P. increase and the famous tornado, umm, umm, I will not mention the hundreds of gadgets that are in the market that will save you gas or increse you H.P..

Why the heck do we spend lots of bucks on a truck with a big engine and then complain about the gas comsuption, just got me a brand spanking new Lexus GX470 and was going to do the same B$ I did on my truck and all came back, I bought everything people here recommended for their truck which none worked sorry just the Borla worked the way I wanted the sound is there and is what I like about it, didnt see any fuel decrease or H.P. gain but sound is the right one for me mellow very mellow.

Old 09-13-2004 | 01:34 AM
Banned for Use of Multiple Usernames
Tys - who is acting like a baby? You feeling bad because I'm bashing something that you bought? Get over it. So you run one for the sound - that is great. All I'm saying is that if you are looking to run one because of their power and mileage claims, then you should look elsewhere.

Quick Reply: New Aero-Turbine muffler