New Aero-Turbine muffler

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003 | 09:06 PM
|
Thumbs up New Aero-Turbine muffler

Has anyone else tried one of those new Aero-Turbine mufflers. I had tried a Flowmaster on my old '97 Expo. It was way too loud. I saw the Aero-Turbine in the local Midas shop. They said they had just taken on the new muffler line. They reported 10 to 15% fuel milage increase (I used this to sell my wife) The unit was high polished stainless, It is the best looking muffler I have ever seen! The sound is incredible. It is the smoothest sound I have ever heard in a Expedition. I installed it on my 2000 5.4 Expedition. I kept the factory pipes before and after. Just replaced the muffler. They said it would create a vacuum in my exhaust. I dont know about that but it sounds AWESOME. I have the Eddy Bauer interior with the digital display. Fuel milage around town was 10mpg max before. It has not droped below 12.5mpg since I installed it! Not huge but enough to keep the wife happy. Let me know if anyone else has seen this or am I the first.

Old 12-08-2003 | 01:30 PM
No one else has a pair of these? I was very intrigued by the idea and have ordered a pair to test. I'll take a sound video after installation.

Old 12-08-2003 | 01:44 PM
Muffler

Post the sound clip when you get it. This is something that I would be interested in. Wife wants me to quiet down the truck. But I don't want it that quiet. Right now I have nothing behind the cats. I'll have to look into this more. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 12-09-2003 | 07:55 AM
The aero-turbine muffler looks sweet but only comes as small as 2 1/2" pipe, kinda big for a 4.6 or 4.2 running duals. And the price is'nt exactly conservative either.

Tell us how you like it so far. Thanks.

Old 12-29-2003 | 04:41 PM
Anyone try an Aero yet?

Old 12-30-2003 | 11:24 AM
Got the pair for test right here. They look incredibly nice. We'll see how they sound. It may be a few weeks before we install though.

Old 01-04-2004 | 01:52 AM
just seems like it would sound funny...almost like a kazoo or something like that...i rather just stick with my cut out....i may get a magnaflow and get lightning exhaust tips.....if anyone knows where to get some lightning exhaust tips...email me at s_ray69@yahoo.com

Old 03-16-2004 | 05:46 PM
Aero-Turbine

I have the Aero-Turbine installed on my 2000 Isuzu Rodeo.

I was told by their customer service department that it wouldn't be overly loud. It was.

I was told by their customer service department that customer satisfaction was #1 and they'd do what they needed to to make me happy. I haven't heard from them in 6 weeks.

I installed the Aero-Turbine and my truck was so 'holy god' loud that I was embarrased to drive it around. I do, however, own a V6, and I'd probably be a little more able to handle the sound of a loud V8 than a loud V6. In fact, I'd be fine with a V-8 and straight pipes, so the problem is really about the exhaust pulse of my V6. (I'm a Detroit motorhead) I noticed no difference in power, and no difference in fuel consumption.

I was told that since the muffler created a vacuum in the exhaust system, that even adding it to the tail end of a bone stock system would result in fuel savings and performance increases.

I ordered another muffler from Dynomax, the Super Turbo with the 22" case on it and have it installed in line with the Aero-Turbine at the back of the whole system. It's nice and quiet now, with only a low, quiet drone over stock below 2k RPMs, other than that, you really can't hear the difference.

Unfortunately, after logging 1000 miles on the truck, I've seen no benefit to the muffler swap, and even if I did, with the cost of TWO installations and TWO mufflers for a single exhaust, I'd be hard pressed to pay off that $485 with fuel savings.

The best money I ever spent on performance upgrade was $82 for manual locking hubs that gave me 2mpg back on the freeway and saves daily wear on my CV Joints & Boots when I'm not actively using 4 wheel drive.

Feelin like I got the sh*t end of the stick from Aero-Turbine, Brad.

Old 03-17-2004 | 07:21 PM
We were going to give them a test with a 2001 3500 series Chevy crew cab next week. Got the chasis dyno for 1/2 day. We were planning on installing 2 and running true duals. So far they haven't arrived. We have a nice 10 hour trip with a full trailer which would make a good test. We normally get 6.5-7mpg.

Old 03-18-2004 | 09:56 PM
Installed the Aero turbine on my screw a couple weeks ago and it sounds better than I thought
Sounds great when you fire the truck up and under the pedal
Tire sound is louder on the highway
For comparison it is very similar to a stock hemi Ram
Midas shop installed for $50 so total was $250
The muffler is obvious when you look in the wheel well so make sure the embossed name is correctly oriented
Makes an old fart feel good

Last edited by 4u2catch; 03-18-2004 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-28-2004 | 07:34 PM
I just ordered one for my 04 F-150. I'm getting it installed next week. I asked Midas if they could modify it with a Y pipe so I can have a dual exhaust split rear look with Aero Turbine's sweet looking chrome tips. I'll let you all know how it sounds and performs. I bought it mostly for the sound and to see if it really does improve my gas mileage.

I'll post pics and sounds once I get it installed.

Old 07-21-2004 | 09:03 AM
i see all of the posts of people that have installed one of them and said they would get back to us about them? i dont see any more posts from them. I am looking into maybe getting one of them for my 2004 scab 4.6 but would like to know if they do work

Bump

Last edited by baror69; 08-02-2004 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-29-2004 | 08:33 AM
Where did they go...?

Well, I'm getting mine on soon...I hope ....before labor day. When I do, I'll do a feed back...promise....I too have a screw, scab, or what ever everyone's calling it 2004 nbs stx....YELLOW...TONKA across the winshield. "Daddy's Schoo-Bus" That's what my little princess calls it.

Old 08-30-2004 | 08:19 AM
Just an FYI, the way I understand it is that Scab = supercab. That's 2 full sized doors plus 1 or 2 half doors.

And Screw = supercrew. That's 4 full sized doors.

Old 08-30-2004 | 05:33 PM
AHH HAA....I get it now....duh....

Quick Reply: New Aero-Turbine muffler