Help me out here

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003 | 05:25 PM
Originally posted by ChiDiver
Wouldn't do you any good other than to get you hot and bothered. One's grounded one day short of forever, one was #1 in her high school class and one is engaged. (You probably don't like smart women.)

Anyway they all near Chicago, prolly further than FL is.
haha, I'm just messing with ya.

My gf is actually quite smart. She's top 50 in our class, Unlike me where I'm top 150 out of 400. :-/

Old 12-17-2003 | 09:15 AM
i was #66 our of 138.....whoo hoo top 50%

Old 12-17-2003 | 12:02 PM
This afternoon I ran a stripe of paint from the cats back to the muffler to find out where the hot spot is.
So where was the hotspot? (No pun intended)

Old 12-17-2003 | 12:35 PM
Hahaha.... no seriously, did you get that muffler yet?

Old 12-17-2003 | 01:04 PM
|
Wellllllll,

The paint I used on the exhaust was engine 600* engine paint I had on the shelf. Let's just say I have a nice orange exhaust from the cats to the the muffler. It didn't get hot enough with the colder weather to tell me anything. I would expect the area just after the cats to be the hottest spot though.

It'll get run about 270 miles non-stop this coming weekend with or without the new muffler. If the exhaust hasn't been redone by then I'll get under it again.

The muffler was on backorder with a 12/20 est ship date. I keep an eye out for the brown truck. Hoping it gets here before the weekend so it can be installed right away.

Old 12-21-2003 | 12:57 AM
|
Originally posted by LE PEW
So where was the hotspot? (No pun intended)

After several days of in town driving it looked like I screwed up using a stripe of 600* engine paint. Every time I crawled under it the exhaust was nice and orange. Finally got a chance to take it out for a 270 mile trip today and ran it a good 75 mph each way.

I just crawled under it with a light to have a look and here is what I found.

Roughly 12" to the rear of the passenger side ego sensor was one hot spot about a foot loong. That spot had all the paint fried off down to bare metal.

The drivers side was burnt for about 4 inches right at the 90* where it turned to go parallel with the passenger side pipe .

So, it looks like the Y needs to go as far up as it can to put the hot spot in the collector of the Y(2 feet forward of the existing Flowmaster Y location).

The muffler has not come yet. Hoping to see it Monday or Tuesday. If nothing else I found the hot spot even if I'n not entirely sure what to do with that information.

Last edited by ChiDiver; 12-21-2003 at 01:01 AM.
Old 12-21-2003 | 01:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Taking a read through the info on the web, it seems that you can use a round behind the oval to aid in quiting the system down more.

I don't know if it would be needed with the 5x11 oval or not. If nothing else, you might want to have a straight shot in there that will take a 6" round inline with the oval. These are either body length of 14" / overall 20" or body length 30" / overall 36", with the 2 options in 3" inlet/outlet.

I have been researching the same info, as I am converting my true dual Bassani to MagnaFlow, for the same reason. I have picked up a few accounts in Madison and Appleton, WI which are too close to fly, and the noise is killing me on the long drives.

I have the duals, so I am looking at 5x11 ovals, 22 body length mufflers for mine. Also I would need a new X-Pipe as the one I have is made for the smaller mufflers from the Bassani kit.

Are you using the same place you used before ( In Oak Lawn I think you said )

Old 12-21-2003 | 02:15 PM
|
Originally posted by SSCULLY
Taking a read through the info on the web, it seems that you can use a round behind the oval to aid in quiting the system down more.

I don't know if it would be needed with the 5x11 oval or not. If nothing else, you might want to have a straight shot in there that will take a 6" round inline with the oval. These are either body length of 14" / overall 20" or body length 30" / overall 36", with the 2 options in 3" inlet/outlet.

I have been researching the same info, as I am converting my true dual Bassani to MagnaFlow, for the same reason. I have picked up a few accounts in Madison and Appleton, WI which are too close to fly, and the noise is killing me on the long drives.

I have the duals, so I am looking at 5x11 ovals, 22 body length mufflers for mine. Also I would need a new X-Pipe as the one I have is made for the smaller mufflers from the Bassani kit.

Are you using the same place you used before ( In Oak Lawn I think you said )
I'll be going back to the place on the the corner of 121st & Cicero. Think it is a Tuffy's. Last time I was there they took the time to do a decent job and price was reasonable.

If I put a 4.10 gear in to replace the 3.55 it would move the droning rpm out of my normal cruising speed, so that is Plan B.

Old 12-27-2003 | 07:13 PM
|
Update

The Magnaflow 14591 that was supposed to arrive on the 20th still isn't here. Gotta get on the horn come Monday.

SScully,
Here is my experience with Bassani on this matter. This is my email and reply from them.

"Hi,
I put a Bassani 3" si/so catback on my 2001 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Flareside 5.4/3.55 axle. I have a problem with droning from around 62 to 72 mph which is around 1500 to 2000 rpm on the tach. Exhaust tip is the supplied 4.5".
Is there anything I can do to reduce or eliminate this problem? Is there a different muffler that could replace that one without a major rework of the exhaust system?
Engine mods include underdrive pulleys, electric fans WMS air intake and Superchips Microtuner along with a Magnaflow Y pipe in front of the catback.
Thanks for any help you can provide."

Their reply...
"There is no way to eliminate the resonance. The Bassani mufflers are designed to reduce the resonance. This is a common occurrence with after market exhaust systems that are designed for additional sound and performance. There is some information on the Bassani warranty, on our web site."

From their web site...
"Bassani Xhaust mufflers are not warranted to produce or cancel any particular tone, note or resonance. As sound preference is purely subjective, Bassani Xhaust recommends you conduct thorough research prior to making a purchase."

Hopes this helps someone else out with their "Thorough Research".

(BTW, I tried a Hooker resonated tip with a 3" inlet and smaller I.D. with little help and loss of power. Currently using a 3" inlet noname SS resonated tip off of EBay that is 5" O.D. and looks like a fart can. It also helps a little but with no power loss.)

Last edited by ChiDiver; 12-27-2003 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-28-2003 | 11:54 AM
Technical Article Contributor

ChiDiver,

Thaks for the quick update. I stil need to get some new mufflers for my truck and change them out.

Now that I have been paying attention to it, I don't know if it is a resonance or droan at that RPM, or if it now from them being broken in with 20K miles on them that they are just too loud.

It sounded nice when new, but with 20K miles on them, they are starting to get on my nerves for the long highway drivng like you have going on. Short stuff around the burbs, it is not a problem at all.
Getting on it, it does sound like a NASCAR ready system.

Guess I should have known better, with them being SI/SO 4x8 ovals, 20" long. When new they were nice, and I figued it would not be that bad with 2 of them under there.

I might even go with Aluminized 5x11 ovals this time, so when they get too loud I can just swap them out, without pitching another set of SS mufflers, and the money.
The other thing I am going to ask Mike is if I should go with the round mufflers instead.

One good part, is I can now get a head to head with Bassani vs. MagnaFlow mufflers, true dual install, and find out which is better. The G-Tech should give me some info on this.

Going down to Palso Hts to see my Aunt today, you might hear be go by

Last edited by SSCULLY; 12-28-2003 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-29-2003 | 04:20 PM
|
Unhappy Update

Well, I called TruckPerfomance to check on my order. Actually I called Saturday but hung up after being on hold for 15 minutes.

Today I got a chance to talk to a human being. He told me I should see it next week. I told him I should have seen it last week. (The 20th)We'll see what happens.

Edit

Looks like it won't be for another week before they ship it. Won't post anymore on this until it comes in.

Last edited by ChiDiver; 01-05-2004 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-13-2004 | 01:31 PM
|
Around January 4 they said it would ship the week of the 12th. Yesterday they emailed me and said it will ship the week of the 19th. Today I cancelled the order.

Did some surfing and found it $10 cheaper at http://www.fulllineexhaust.com. I emailed first to make sure they have it in stock which they did.

Never thought I would get excited over a muffler.

Last edited by ChiDiver; 01-13-2004 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-16-2004 | 02:43 AM
|
Talking It finally got here..

The Magnaflow 14591 that I ordered Tuesday morning came Thursday afternoon and I had it put in later Thurday afternoon at Tuffy's(123rd & Cicero for local guys). They did a pretty decent job again and took their time to do it right.

The Flowmaster Y was replaced by the Magnaflow and brought as forward as possible. Being as how there is at least 36" of 3" pipe between the Y and the muffler, room is available if I should need to stick anything else in there.

Again the new muffler is SS 5"x11"x30" 3" si/so. Old was 5"x9.5"x24", also 3" SS si/so.

I got a chance to put a dozen miles or so running around this evening and it definitely is quieter. As far as performance it's hard to tell but I certainly haven't lost anything, that's for sure.

Eyeballing the inlet of the muffler it looks like this inside... -=- a pair of pipes joined with a Y at both ends.

It'll get run downstate and back again this weekend(270 mi on I-57) so that will be a good test to check for droning.

When it was still on the hoist and engine running I got underneath it and it seemed like the cat area was making as much or more noise than the exhaust.

Made a mental note to ask about exhaust wrap to see if that help deaden any resonance and perhaps speed air flow as the wrap manufacturers claim.

I reset the computer so that should help it relearn things. And that's all I have to say about that. For now.

Old 01-18-2004 | 10:59 PM
|
Talking

Just got back from a road trip. The muffler is perfect for my needs. The biggest problem is that it being quieter I have a tendency to have a heavier right foot.

There does not appear to be any major resonance. Maybe a *little*, but nothing like it was. I can actually hold a conversation at highway speeds without shouting. The whole truck seems to be running smoother.

Again, I never thought I'd get excited over a muffler.

Since the truck has had exhaust changes, intake changes, ported throttle body elbow, e-fans and the max SuperChips program; it's going on the dyno the 24th with some of guys from the ill chapter of FTW in Joliet.

Old 07-21-2005 | 04:56 PM
O2 Sensor

Chi when you added the Magnaflow Y pipe how did you get around the O2 sensor. Did you add the Y pipe after the O2 sensor or what. My 03 has an O2 sensor in the pipe or is this the case in the 01?