high flow cats, whats needed 4 install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003 | 11:24 AM
|
high flow cats, whats needed 4 install?

I ordered myself 2 magnaflow high-flow cats. My father-in-law is a welder so he is going to install them for me. So I need to know, is there any supplies (ie. extra pipe, bends, y pipes, hangers, etc...) I am going to need to have on hand in order for him to install them?

Also, what kind of a project am I getting myself into? I have a stock 02 4x4 with a 5.4L, and I had read that someone with a 4x4 needed to remove the tranny crossmember, the torsion bars, and the impact strurts to get the cats out of there. But it sounded like that truck was lifted. Mine is stock. Am I going to need to do all of that also?

Old 12-30-2003 | 01:51 PM
Since you are messing with the factory y-pipe, you might want to consider a magna flow high flow y pipe. The factory y is extremely restrictive. Check out this link...

http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...atalogno=10778

Old 12-30-2003 | 03:38 PM
|
Originally posted by Buckeye Rich
Since you are messing with the factory y-pipe, you might want to consider a magna flow high flow y pipe. The factory y is extremely restrictive. Check out this link...

http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...atalogno=10778
Wouldn't I have to replace the whole exhaust system if I install that? Since it would now be 3"? Don't we only have 2 1/2" now.

Old 12-30-2003 | 09:16 PM
That factory Y-Pipe really is not as bad as everyone says it is. As for the installation of the high flow cats I have a 4x4 and you will have to remove the trans crossmember and the torsion bars need to be removed in order to get the crossmember out. The cut the stock cats at the welded area near the rear one then unbolt the whole assembly from you stock manifolds or headers which ever you have then you will have to cut the cats off and then fabricate pipe to make up the loss of the precats. It is a bit of work and a PITA but if you take your time it should turn out nice. I have a lifted truck so yes I did have to remove the impact struts as well but even without the lift you are going to have to drop the crossmemebr to be able to cut the stock cats.

Richard

Old 01-04-2004 | 08:31 PM
I have a stock suspension 98 F-150, the only thing I had to do to get the cats off was take down the crossmember which was like 5 bolts. The cut to the rear cats was the easiest. The forward cats were a little tougher, not many tools will fit up there for a proper cut. I used a sawzall for all 4 cuts, making sure to cut as closely to the weld of the cat as possible. Then I took a three foot long piece of flex pipe and bent it to the shape the cats were, clammped it in, then ran a 16 inch piece of pipe to my stock Y pipe. Did that on both sides, and now the truck sounds unbelievable. When I bought the truck it had Magnaflow high flows on it, I didnt like they way they sounded at all. It wasnt nearly as aggresive sounding as it is now.

Best Cats Are No Cats

Old 01-04-2004 | 08:54 PM
There should be at least 8 bolts for the crossmembber three on each side where it mount to the frame and then two that actually bolt to the trans mount itself. I simnply unbolted the cats after making the cut at the rear and then made the final cuts to remove the cats from the manifol flange on the ground then had pipe bent and welded to make up the differance in length from the missing pre cat.

Richard

Old 01-07-2004 | 10:32 AM
Yes, the factory "Y Pipe" IS that bad. About 1 7/8" for the driver's side, as opposed to 2 1/2"

Old 01-07-2004 | 10:58 AM
Not my Y Pipe mine is 2-1/2 all the way out. I had to open up one end of the cats to get the to fit over it.

Richard

Quick Reply: high flow cats, whats needed 4 install?