Magnaflow 15609

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Magnaflow 15609

I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM OWNERS OF THE MAGNAFLOW 15609. I AM CONSIDERING INSTALLING IT ON MY 5.4.
DID YOU INSTALL KIT YOURSELF OR HAVE MUFFLER SHOP DO IT ?
HOW DIFFICULT INSTALL IF YOU DID IT YOURSELF ? HOW MUCH LOUDER IS IT THAN STOCK ? IS IT LOUD IN CAB ? NOTICE ANY DIFFERENCE IN FUEL ECONOMY, POWER ? WHERE IS THE CHEAPEST PLACE TO PURCHASE ?

Old 12-31-2003, 12:40 AM
Installed 15609 tonight as a one man job on 01 SuperCrew 4x4 w/ 5.4L. Go to Magnaflow website and you can print the installation instructions for an idea of whats involved. Came in 3 pieces and 3 clamps. I broke all three of the stainless steel clamps and had to buy new clamps from a parts store. I took off another aftermarket system that was SI/DO with exit at the stock location that caused a noticeable loss of low end performance. I did not like that system. The Magnaflow was easy to install. Not much driving experience with the Magnaflow yet, but did take a test drive. Moderately louder than stock, but not too loud. I did not want loud. Moderate increase in cab. Nice sound. 4 inch tip is a nice look. Read a lot of these posts and went with the suggestions I found here and bought from Troyer Performance after a lenghty phone call to get questions and ideas which they were glad to answer. I like to do business with the helpful people and don't just shop price. Troyer's price was in line with other sites.

On the clamps I figured out that if you alternate the tightening a few turns of the wrench at a time like you would changing a tire and try to keep even thread counts you will have better luck getting the clamps tight without the breakage problem I had.

I also recently installed a Superchip (Tri-Tune) and that is a great improvement.

Old 01-01-2004, 01:59 PM
Churst, Im getting this system as well I think probably from Troyer, did you also install the 3 inch Y pipe? Ive heard this also makes a difference as the factory Y is pretty restrictive.

Old 01-01-2004, 05:28 PM
I installed the 15609 about 1 month ago. Its real easy to do if you have good tools

After I set up the compressor and tools, it took a total of about 45 minutes including cleaning up and putting the tools away.

Made 1 cut about 3 inches behind muffler, remove from rubber hangers (spray with soapy water to make it easier) remove tailpipe, remove clamps from behind cats (after y-pipe), remove muffler and straight pipe, and install new system......real easy.

a few observations:

1. In my opinion, it is louder than claimed at Troyers Website, but I guess "quiet " is subject to interpretation. It IS quiet at idle, nice and mellow under throttle, but does have a slight drone in my SCREW between 60 and 70 MPH . If at steady throttle it is slight however and not objectionable.

2. The metal hanger rods on the 15609 are a little smaller diameter than stock so they are a looser fit in the rubber hangers, but they won't come out.

3. Your truck will smell like its burning after the install for a few days until all the oils and greases burn off

4. I have a very slight vibration at Idle in park that I didn't notice before...maybe I should have re-installed that stock Vibration damper thing ??

5. I love it

I actually got a little chirp the other day on my 1-2 upshift. (I also have a micro Tuner) so It gave me a little extra power. It seems like I have more mid and high end torque without losing any down low.

I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Last edited by rbraughn; 01-09-2004 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-01-2004, 08:23 PM
Dan7,

Considered the y pipe but passed on it for now. It requires cutting and welding. Can easily come back and do later.

Old 01-04-2004, 06:02 PM
I installed it on my 1002 f150 with 5.4l.Very easy I cut everything off with a sawzall even the rounded ends on the metal hangers on old pipe3s that goes thru the rubber piece.took all of 1 hour.Sounds good not too loud and gained a little horsepower...

Old 01-06-2004, 06:44 PM
churst, yea I think im gonna wait on that too.

Question, does anyone have a picture of this system instaled on there truck, im wondering how it looks with the 4 inch tip and the angle that it exits behind the wheel. I have the Roush double stainless tip that came with my NASCAR edition and im wondering if the 4 inch tip will look better or worse...of course bottom line is better performance but I kinda like the Roush tip and im hoping the magnaflow will look just as good or better even.

Last edited by Dan7; 01-07-2004 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:12 PM
Your links go to the login page, not a picture or thread

Old 01-07-2004, 11:16 PM
Crap, doh, sorry gotta fix that.
Well, I ordered mine yesterday from Troyer
so im eagerly waiting on my new Magnaflow!

Last edited by Dan7; 01-07-2004 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:46 PM
Thumbs up

Just did this install last weekend in the driveway in 40 minutes with common hand tools. I own a compressor and impact tools but they are definitely not necessary. I give it a "piece of cake" rating. Very satisfied with the product and the results. Churst and rbraughn sum up the sound and the effort very accurately. I used a tailpipe cutter from AutoZone through the loan a tool program. I too broke one my clamps so go easy on the bolts or get some new ones in advance. One other piece of advice: Check eBay.

Old 01-08-2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Dan7
Crap, doh, sorry gotta fix that.
Ok Ive got my gallery set up, you can see the stock Roush
tip on my truck, Im hoping the new 4 inch single tip will look
better? Does the magnaflo tip point strait out or does it kinda angle down? I cant find a single pic of it instaled and its
driving me crazy.
http://www.fordf150.net/photopost/sh...ort=1&cat=3096

Just did this install last weekend in the driveway in 40 minutes with common hand tools. I own a compressor and impact tools but they are definitely not necessary. I give it a "piece of cake" rating. Very satisfied with the product and the results. Churst and rbraughn sum up the sound and the effort very accurately. I used a tailpipe cutter from AutoZone through the loan a tool program. I too broke one my clamps so go easy on the bolts or get some new ones in advance. One other piece of advice: Check eBay
I checked ebay Lol.

Last edited by Dan7; 01-08-2004 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:25 PM
I installed mine so it is fairly straight out, not angled down.
You can manipulate the pipe to position it however you like, but the instructions say to leave 1/2" between the pipe and any plastic or body panels. Mine is closer than 1/2", but it doesn't get too hot.

Old 01-09-2004, 05:52 PM
Thanks rbraughn, I cant wait to instal it hopefully next week!

Old 01-09-2004, 06:55 PM
No problem, I hope you like it.....BTW, if you put all the pieces together only handtightening the clamps, and put a couple of jackstands under the exhaust and pipe, you can then twist and push the tailpipe around as your are tightening the clamp to tweak it just right and get it where you want it.

Old 01-17-2004, 02:21 PM
Thanks again rbraughn, Its on and I love it! Nice low rich rumble under acceleration that the stocker is lacking, it breaths a lot better, definitely more HP and torque felt. Not sure if I like the 4 inch tip better than my Roush dual tip yet so im just gonna live with it this week, although the stainless 4 inch tip does look killer. I love it all around and DAMN the underside of my truck looks cool!

Quick Reply: Magnaflow 15609