help me pass emissions without cats

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 06:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help me pass emissions without cats

92 fs Bronco 5.0 302-No cats, had to test emmisions, legal is 1.2, I was 1.39. I changed my oil, plugs, added octane boost and retested. I improved, a wopping .04. I'm hoping someone has an idea to help me improve, trick of the trade or something. I'm so close and I don't want to add cats if I don't have to. thanks

Old 02-24-2004, 01:40 AM
C'mon, someone has got to have some trick!?!

Old 02-24-2004, 01:53 AM
I don't think the octane boost will help, I think it may hurt you numbers.
Did you replace your rotor and cap? Check the resistance of your plug wires? Have the base timing checked on the motor (or set it yourself)? If you don't know how to do these things, get a Haynes manual, and it will walk you through all those steps.
One other thing, you may want to get some spray carb cleaner and spray it into the throttle-body, both before you start the engine (let it set for a minute or two) and after. After you start it, you can spray it in (you'll see a little hole in the side of the throttle-body) spray it in there and all over the inside of it as well. You will have to keep reving the engine to keep it from dying.
Also if you have a MAF, you may want to clean it. Most popular way I've read on here is to: Remove the Maf. Use alcohol on a cotton swab to clean the wire. Reinstall the Maf.
If you don't have a MAF, don't worry about that, but I'm pretty sure the 92 5.0 was a MAF.

Good luck!

Old 02-24-2004, 07:24 PM
Thanks

I'll see what I can do. I talked to a guy at a shop today. He said for sixty bucks he'll hook it up to the machine and make adjustments as it runs until it's good, so I think that is the route I will take. I am going to go out and go through my chilton and see if I have a MAF and maybe clean it out before I go. THanks for your help

Old 02-26-2004, 02:18 AM
SSR
I'd be really suprised if you were able to pass w/o cats. Just out of curiosity what state do you live in?

Old 02-26-2004, 08:49 AM
One thing to try is run the schit out of it on the way there. Gets it nice and warm so it should test somewhat cleaner.

I have seen stuff called "emission ease" or similar that is supposed to help too but I've not had to try that as of yet.

Old 02-29-2004, 01:46 AM
I passed

I live in Washington State. I did run the "schit" out of it before on my first two tests. On a whim I went to a shop with "emmisions tun-ups" on the sign. The guy told me for sixty bucks he would put it on his machine and mess with it while it runs until I was in specs. He put the sensor in and and started in on it, it took him about 2 min to decide to pull out the pcv sensor (rear of the block on passenger side, above cyl. #8) it cut my emmisions in half. He turned up my idle a little as well, wich brought it down just a sliver more. 1.2 was passing, before I was at 1.35, after his adj. I went through with a .59. I plugged my pcv back in, my idle adj itself and now I have current tabs again. In two years I'll go ahead and do it myself before I go .

He said I was really running clean and efficient to score a 1.35 w/o cats beforehand. So I gues regular maint. does pay off!

Quick Reply: help me pass emissions without cats