Performance and Gas Millage Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 01:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance and Gas Millage Help

I am sure you have all already crossed this bridge so I am hopeing I can get some advice on my Rig. Details:

F-150 Off Road (2000) Flareside
Triton V-8 (5.4L)
55,000 miles (mostly Off Road just kidding)

I am thinking about an air intake and a set of duals to start. It has a hard cover rear deck lid 33" All Terains and has climbed everything I have asked it too.

Thanks in advance...

Old 05-01-2004, 07:15 PM
Welcome !! Performance: Chip/tuner, air intake kit, and exhaust in that order and with marginal mileage increases. For mileage: electric fans and underdrive pulleys; these simply reduce your engine's parasitic demands.

Old 05-02-2004, 11:09 PM
Max...

Thanks for the feedback. I think that is the route I will go. Any suggestions/specific components you would recommend?

Regards,

Old 05-03-2004, 01:35 PM
You're Welcome ! I'd start with a Superchip tuner from Mike Troyer www.troyerperformance.com They have several additional features compared to a standard blue Superchip module. I have a standard blue Superchip module for sale in the Classifieds for a 2000 5.4 with computer code ATC2. "If" that was your code, it would be a real money saver. The air intakes all give similar HP increases, but I used the K&N FIPK because I'm of the belief that the intake tube should be plastic to avoid the retention of heat (heat soak) which increases incoming air temperature and lowers HP. This is why the factory uses plastic. I'd recommend any FULL intake that interests you over a drop-in filter by far. Next, which you may not want to hear, is about dual exhaust. For a stock to lightly modified 5.4, I'd recommend a single exhaust system. It's more efficient in several ways. If you had a highly modified vehicle and you had an expert custom make a long-tube header/high-flow cat/X-pipe/high flow muffler dual setup, you may get a few extra horsepower at a very large expense. If you love duals, I'd just get a single exhaust that split into dual exits and be happy. Additionally, I recommend a single system with all stainless steel parts. Definately get a stainless steel muffler. I recommend a straight-through design muffler like Magnaflow, Dynomax Ultra-flow SS, Borla S-curve, or Edelbrock straight-through stainless-steel race. If you make it to pulleys and electric fans, I'd use the ASP 2-pulley underdrive kit. There are several nice fan kits. When you're on the Troyer site, look at his kit and see if you want to go this far. If you do, you can compare it to the kits at the Lightning tuner websites. If you need website addresses to any of these products, let me know.

Old 05-03-2004, 10:15 PM
help

i have a mac cai intake and magnaflow 15609 ss exhaust- those are less than yr old- those with my diablo chip i ran a 16.7
i switched to a superchips 3 custom tune yuner for my 03- 5.5 4x4- lga2 pcm code- that dropped me down to 16.3- i have the above listed for sale in forumns- i have to get rid of my truck- these modds made my truck rwally come alive-ps- the tuner can be reburned for your code-phil

Quick Reply: Performance and Gas Millage Help