|
Question what exhaust

for a v-6 4.6 what would be better?

1.high flow cats w/ striaght pipes through a false "mufflers"
2.glasspack in place of muffler
3. flowmaster 40s in place of stock mufflers w/ tips

Old 05-17-2004 | 04:44 PM
Welcome ! 46 views and no responses.
1) High flow cats do little on stock to mild 4.6s. Your "S" on mufflers implies duals...this setup may lose too much backpressure, but will be loud.
2) Antiquated sound and mild steel rust out.
3) Nice sound, quick rust out, chambered muffler with questionable performance.

You need some higher numbers, I'll be first.
4) A stainless steel, straight-through design muffler.

Give the others some facts: Is this for performance or sound? Is this going to be single or dual exhaust? Do you prefer factory exhaust modification, cat-back, or entire exhaust?

Old 05-17-2004 | 05:12 PM
|
what exhaust

i am going for loudness, it is a single exhaust, it comes out right behind the passenger tire. what diffrence would it make if I cut the pipe off about a foot or so after the muffler, or glass pack or what ever I decide on and put turn downs on it

Old 05-17-2004 | 05:42 PM
If all you want is loudness, then your "false" muffler is a good idea and so is a straight pipe instead of a muffler. 2 high flow cats instead of the multi-cat setup also increases sound, but is a very expensive way to do it. Shortening the exhaust and turning it down also gives an echo off the ground. The biggest change will be the straight pipe. Another alternative is a cutout. Have a hole cut in the pipe before the muffler and a pipe welded on there with a bolt on cap. Then, you have the choice to cover it back up at will. I don't suggest cable or electric valves though because they don't seal well long term.

Old 05-18-2004 | 03:03 AM
just takin the muffler off a 4.6 will not make it loud.my friend has one in his truck,and only has cats with like 3" tips out the back,and it's quieter than my 5.4 when i had a muffler and cats.if you want it to be really loud you're probably gonna have to gut the cats.

Quick Reply: what exhaust