Summit headers????

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004 | 07:51 PM
|
Summit headers????

Summmit is listing a set of headers for 97-01 F150 4.6 and 5.4L trucks.
They are under 200 bucks, has anyone tried them?

I have a cracked manifold, and this is the cheaper option available.

Old 06-22-2004 | 01:22 PM
never tried them,but summit isn't trashy ****. they make good parts. i'd buy it.

Old 06-29-2004 | 05:17 PM
They work good...got them from summitt last week bolt on install and they are actually from pacesetter.

next project stoptech big brake upgrade and magna supercharger

01 4.6 upgraded 4:10 gears
24" Katana Azzad's/ 305/35 kumho
Flowmaster 40 original w/ dual outlet
pro comp 9000 shocks (fr)
pro comp 3000 shocks (rear)
rancho 5000 stablizer shock
Hellwig rear anti-sway bar
Front A- arm and front sway bar-
polyurethane energy suspension bushings
BBK 75mm TB
BBK pulley set
Summitt racing shorty headers
Moog heavy duty ball joints (upper and lower)
K&N Kit GEN II
Power programmer III
HD lower valance
HD speed tubes
Viper remote start 791VX

Old 06-30-2004 | 12:09 AM
|
Cool!

How long did the install take?

Did they come with new bolts?

Did you have to relocate anything?

Thanks for any heads up!!!

Old 06-30-2004 | 09:54 AM
i cant find them one summitracing.com...whats the parts #....thanks y'all

Old 07-01-2004 | 04:08 PM
|
SUM-G9046 Header, Shorty, Smog Legal, Ford F150/250, Expedition 4.6L 1997-01 Today $159.99

SUM-G9047 Header, Shorty, Smog Legal, Ford F150/250, Expedition 5.4L 1997-01 Today $159.99

The price is right-on!

Old 07-01-2004 | 07:12 PM
is that price a peice or for both? thanks

Old 07-01-2004 | 08:12 PM
|
Both, someone else said they are actually pacesetters.

I ordered mine yesterday, I will update installation difficulty once I install them.

This is by far the best price I have found on headers for my truck.

Old 07-04-2004 | 11:19 AM
damn...thats a good price...get back with us on how the installation goes...

Old 07-04-2004 | 08:50 PM
|
Opened the box today. The hardware pack did say Pacesetter on it. It does included all the new bolts you'll need. The gaskets included are low quality, I will use better ones. They look like decent parts, I will report back on fitment, sound, and installation difficulty once I get them in. Should be about 2 weeks, I have a 5.0 mustang project I need to button up first.

Last edited by 98flare54; 07-04-2004 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-23-2004 | 09:26 PM
any updates on the summitt headers? I have a cracked exhaust manifold and I am considering making this upgrade instead of replacing the stock manifold.

Any input?

Old 07-25-2004 | 01:23 PM
Yeah, Keep Us Posted. Nice price!

Red

Old 07-27-2004 | 02:09 PM
I have put them on to replace an exhaust manifold that had fastner studs broke off. They fit very well, but you will need extreme patience and determination. I have been wrenching for a good while and I would list these headers as high on the difficulty scale. I would not waste your money on stage 8 or any similar locking bolts, unless you are a buddhist monk and have a couple days to figure out how to get the locks locked. I went through the wheel wells and removed the plastic fender. If you have four wheel ABS welcome to the inner circle of hell. The decided to pack that module right next to the exhaust.
Your first challenge will be to remove the exhaust from the exhaust manifolds. I used an air chisel and cut off wheel. If you have time and the strength of a mack truck, you can try unbolting the exhaust flanges.
The next big step will be removing the studs that did not come out with the nuts. You will want to remove these studs because they are poor grade medal and will eventually snap. I would reccomend stainless bolts for reassembly. To remove the studs I held my breath and welded the nuts back on to the studs and then slowly backed them out with a ratchet. The combination of heat and force seem to do the trick.
Before you slide the heades in test fit the bolts. You will have to slot some holes because the header pipes block access to them. After that install the bolts that you have slotted the holes for and slide the headers into place. They do slide into place pretty easy.
Now get out you double jointed hand and prepare to be seated for a while as you figure out the most complicated bar puzzel on earth. The stage 8 bolts I guess did work well due to the fact they can be tightened with a hex wrench or an allen wrench which gave me some options.
The last big obstacle the EGR tube. First make sure you get the fitting out of the old exhaust manifold and into the new header befor it is installed. Second be prepared for the EGR tube not to fit because the fitting is at the wrong angle. WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT CAP THE EGR SYSTEM. There is an EGR flow sensor and the ECM will know and if you cut the tube you will need to purchase a new one for 80 dollars at the dealer. Work slowly and use whatever means possible to manipulate the EGR tube into place.
It took me two afternoons, after work. so be prepared to spend some time. sorry for the long post. The headers work well. Not really much of a power increase, but better throttle response. Also they are noiser, they give your truck kind of that old farm truck sound, because you can hear the exhaust gasses exitting the headers durring heavy throttle situations. Do not worry about paint Summit used good quality steel. I had my on for a good year in Illinois, and they almost look like stainless and have not rusted.

Old 08-01-2004 | 01:15 PM
So the plain painted ones withstand roadsalt etc?

I'm also in the snapped studs/cracked manifold situation. I was considering Edelbrock stainless shorties ($383 from Summit) because I'm concerned plain metal pieces will rot out. Although, for the $220 savings I could almost get the Summit pieces coated and still be cheaper.

So if I do buy the Summit headers I should plan on getting Felpro or Ford gaskets and new bolts? Happen to recall the size/pitch of the stockers?

Thanks,
Steve

P.S. You haven't seen hard to install headers until you try midlengths on a T-bird SC.

Old 08-13-2004 | 05:01 PM
Well it sounds as if this reply might be a little late. I think I just read about your install. It looks as if you used the bolts that cam with the headers. They are OK, but I think stainless is the ticket. As for the pitch and thread. I just ordered stage 8s for a for 4.6 mustang. I have not had any corosion problems yet. So the plain painted pieces are fine. I used the fel pro because they had a steel composite core. They are my preference.

Quick Reply: Summit headers????