Magnaflow or Borla for 4.2L

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004 | 11:30 PM
|
Magnaflow or Borla for 4.2L

Looking to upgrade my exhaust to a Magnaflow or Borla. I checked Magnaflow's site and they don't make a complete cat-back kit for a 4.2L, but Borla does. Although, a local shop can add a Magnaflow muffler to my stock tubing.

Should I add just the Magnaflow muffler or do the complete Borla cat-back kit? Anyone have any luck with either of these?

Old 07-15-2004 | 08:08 PM
It really depends on how much your looking to spend and what kind of sound you want. From my experience I love Borla, and if I had the money I would buy it in a heartbeat. Never been a big fan of Magnaflow, but different strokes for different folks. So if you've got the $450-$500 for the Borla, and you dont mind spending it, I'd get that. You will definitely fall in love with the sound and I think will be overall satisfied with the purchase.

-Blake

Old 07-17-2004 | 04:42 AM
I am curious. I was looking at magnaflow and they state on their 3" Cat-Back exhaust kit, non-dual that you lose no back-pressure at all on low end, and there are actually gains on the lower and higher RPM Ranges. What is so special about Borla? From my understanding it allows more airflow than the magnaflow and what not. I am currently looking into the market for an exhaust setup, not a true dual exhaust but something that runs from the muffler then to two pipes. Is Borla a good way to go? I really didnt see much on em when I did a search for em.

Old 07-18-2004 | 12:09 AM
I ran Flowmaster Single in Dual out on a 4.6L V8 Supercrew and could not be happier with it. They cut the original muffler and pipes out and installed new muffler and larger pipes. Nice rumble when you start her up and stays deep and mellow until about 3500 RPMs before it slowly looses deep tone. Check out the pics if you are looking for looks more than performance this may be the way to go. I got a great deal 2.5" Pipes and 3" Chrome Tips installed for $265...in Texas.

Good Luck!

Old 07-19-2004 | 03:05 AM
Re: Magnaflow or Borla for 4.2L

Originally posted by pd417
Looking to upgrade my exhaust to a Magnaflow or Borla. I checked Magnaflow's site and they don't make a complete cat-back kit for a 4.2L, but Borla does. Although, a local shop can add a Magnaflow muffler to my stock tubing.

Should I add just the Magnaflow muffler or do the complete Borla cat-back kit? Anyone have any luck with either of these?
Im sorry to inform you but our v6 will never have a burly rumble. The reason is because the v6 is a simultaneous fire motor, meaning that 2 cylinder fire at the same time on opposite banks. Which means the motor only has 3 distinct explosions, unlike a v8 whtch has 8 separate fires thru-out a cycle.
Now with that said, don't fret cuz an aftermarket sytstem will still help performance, & thats most important. Here's a site that has an inexpensive but well built exhaust system. http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...atalogno=15997

Old 07-22-2004 | 12:52 PM
|
After much research, I decided to go with Magnaflow. I wasn't looking for loud, just some increased torque and maybe a little more HP.

I went to a small custom shop here in Newhall, CA and they removed the stock muffler and replaced it with a Magnaflow. I left the stock tubing and cat in place.

The change was significant enough to notice. The 4.2L V6 will never be a killer motor, but this muffler did help in giving me back some torque and HP that was lost below 2500 RPM.

Old 07-23-2004 | 09:42 AM
How much did it cost you? I am looking to do the same type of thing for my 5.4.

Old 07-31-2004 | 02:38 PM
|
The entire cost was $187.00 (including a nice angle cut chrome tip). This mated with my AirForce One intake kit gave me enough of a performance increase to actually notice.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow or Borla for 4.2L