dripping water

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dripping water

Full stock exhaust. Since gas has gone up so much I’ve been using 97-octane full time. The other day after sitting all night I fired up my truck. I noticed an unusual amount of water dripping from the tail pipe. I park on a slight upgrade and my truck was facing up so naturally the water would drip down. It was a very humid wet morning so I didn’t think too much of it. However I noticed much more water was dripping from my muffler. It was coming right from where the mufflers exit pipe starts. Someone told me some mufflers have built in reservoir type things to let water normally drip out. I’ve never heard of that. I inspected, as best I could and couldn’t see any cracks or holes but water was definity dripping out. There’s a little rust around it and on the muffler, a normal amount I would guess for a 6-year-old truck with 86,000 miles. So is this a good excuse for a new exhaust or is that water dripping normal?

Old 07-13-2004, 04:50 PM
I'm not a professional in this category, but I do have an aftermarket exhaust system and I know that it drips a lot of water out of the tips. however, I 've never payed attention or have ever seen water dripping directly from the muffler....

I would just recommend making sure it was dripping OUT of a crack or hole in the muffler, because it might have been dripping from the underbody of your truck down onto the muffler, or from the other side of your muffler where it may have condensed on the surface....

Now is it an excuse for a new exhaust system ?? Well that depends on what you want to tell the wifey... If you want a new muffler, than I'd say this is definately a serious problem and needs replaced so order a new flowmaster right away! otherwise get it checked out b/c it may not be much of a problem at all...

good luck.

Old 07-13-2004, 05:58 PM
Same here....mine drips directly from the muffler. This sounds ridiculous but all of the stock mufflers have drain holes to let the condensation out so they don't rust out nearly as quick!!! Hope that helps
Jeff

Old 07-13-2004, 07:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
original post by: capritoms

Same here....mine drips directly from the muffler. This sounds ridiculous but all of the stock mufflers have drain holes to let the condensation out so they don't rust out nearly as quick!!! Hope that helps
Jeff
I got my stock muffler sitting in the garage and after close inspection; there is definitely no drain hole. No way

Old 07-13-2004, 08:45 PM
My 02 SC has one and so does my buddies 02 FX4 and 01 Expy. I don't know about any others but those three definitely have them which led me to believe they all would. I'm going to be pretty if they all do not have them and I got some sorta defect. I notice you have an 04, is that the muffler you are looking at?

Last edited by capritoms; 07-13-2004 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-13-2004, 09:30 PM
original post by: capritoms (snip)

I notice you have an 04, is that the muffler you are looking at?
Yep, here’s a pic of it.

no drain hole in mine

Old 07-13-2004, 09:45 PM
most mufflers have drain holes as stated above to let water out. Condensation is a major factor in exhaust rust out. The heat speeds the rust process, so, manufacturers put holes in the mufflers to let the water out.

As long as the water doesnt smell like anti-freeze, you are ok.

Joe

Old 07-13-2004, 10:04 PM
They don’t put drain holes in mufflers, that's

Old 07-13-2004, 10:39 PM
Many mufflers from Ford and others include a tiny weep hole. Many people drill them in aftermarket mufflers. A quick search here and general/online will verify this.

Old 07-13-2004, 11:16 PM

Last edited by jpdadeo; 07-14-2004 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:47 AM
Can't we all just get along? If my muff is dripping wet and yours is not...maybe you just aren't doing something right

Old 07-14-2004, 08:18 AM
original post by: capritoms

Can't we all just get along? If my muff is dripping wet and yours is not...maybe you just aren't doing something right
yea, maybe

Old 07-14-2004, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by jpdadeo
They don’t put drain holes in mufflers, that's
Call your local midas shop or, if thats not good enough for you, call the ford dealership. Many mufflers have drain holes in them. The combustion process itself creates a lot of moisture but typically that gets burned off before it drains out of the weep holes.

Use this as a learning experience.

Old 07-14-2004, 11:48 AM
Now that we've got the dripping situation handled I have a question: I have an 02 Supercab Longbed and want a different muffler to replace the stock one. I want to get a Magnaflow but just want something that will be a direct replacement for mine. Do they make such an animal or does everything need to have new pipe made?

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Old 07-14-2004, 12:27 PM
original post by: slag (snip)

Use this as a learning experience.
I’m taking notes

Quick Reply: dripping water