lighting exhaust on extended cab?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004 | 10:28 AM
|
Question lighting exhaust on extended cab?

does anyone have any experience with putting a lighting exhaust on a 5.4 stock 150 ext cab? a friend gave me his after he replaced the exhaust on his lightning...so the cost was right....both trucks are the same year....i dont care if it exits in front of the rear wheell or behind.... any help would be appreciated...thanks.

Old 07-16-2004 | 11:42 AM
seein as how the lightning is a shorter wheelbase than your truck its definitely not gonna bolt right up.just stick all the pipes up and see how they'll fit before you take anything off and if it looks like most of it will bolt up then do that but if you don't have any exhaust fabrication experience i suggest takin it to somebody who does.it shouldn't be too hard to make it work,as long as you have a 2-wheel drive.

Old 07-16-2004 | 12:14 PM
|
ut oh....

its actually a 4 wheel drive....am i in trouble?

Old 07-17-2004 | 12:35 AM
I don't think any good muffler shop would have a problem making it fit.

Old 07-17-2004 | 11:02 AM
Technical Article Contributor

It will work, but requires cutting out the factory Y pipe, and a bit of extended pipe work ( on a SCrew is was 33" additional on each run ).

The Stock L muffler is the DI/DO so an X pipe is not required.
I am converting my dual SI/SO Bassani mufflers to a DI/DO MagnaFlow ( when I can find time ) to quiet it down a bit, but the Bassani system I have installed is a "Cat-Bak" for a L, just extended to work with the SCrew on a N/A 5.4L.
The hanger points were part the same, part custom made between the SCrew and the L, so I would imagine that either 50% or all of them would work on your truck.

At the least you would want the 90* bend from the driver's side Cat to be in SS pipe, like 16AWG T-304 to retain the heat, which means buying a pre-bent one, or finding a shop that does SS pipe work ( it was a joy around here to find a decient SS pipe work shop ).

Any question, just let us know.

Good luck

Old 07-17-2004 | 03:25 PM
you could probably just use your factory y pipe but cut it before it y's together and then use the l exhaust from there,that might be easier.that's what i did with mine and it was pretty easy to dual it out that way cause you can move all those pieces around easily when they're not y'ed together anymore.the l exhaust might be harder to route around the transfer case and the torsion bar crossmember is what i'm sayin,but i don't know cause i've never seen the exhaust for em.it's not a real hard job but its important cause if you get any leaks right there you'll definitely know it

Quick Reply: lighting exhaust on extended cab?