dual exhaust or single ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004 | 12:13 AM
|
dual exhaust or single ?

i wanted to get dual exhaust on my '03 supercrew 4x4, i was asked why i wanted duals. i was told you do not need dual exhuast on new trucks.
can you get just as much HP with a single exhaust? i was thinking of getting the gibson swept back system. what exhaust system do you guys recomend ?

Old 09-29-2004 | 10:08 AM
Welcome ! A properly sized single exhaust will outperform true duals on the street under most conditions. At pure, top-end only performance, the true duals will yield marginal increases. Give the guys here more to go on for a recommendation: desired exit location, sound level, single vs dual (true or fake), type of steel, custom vs cat-back, etc. Do a search for "Gibson" if you want faster results.

Old 09-29-2004 | 11:56 AM
APT
Rank the following characteristics with aftermarket exhausts:

Performance
sound
looks (exit location)
cost

Old 09-29-2004 | 08:34 PM
|
thanks for the help.
i have a 5.4 , i want max. performance with a single exhaust, and not very loud. loud enough to hear when you jump on the peddle but quiet in the cab. i would like it to exit behind the rear wheel. what size pipe would be best? i would like to keep the price under 400.00.

Old 09-29-2004 | 09:15 PM
Hey bud Welcome
Everyone has a different opinion on what to "loud" is. I have Flowmaster true dual exhaust with free flow cats, and a x-pipe. Which yields a very deep, loud rumble on acceleration but when it hit O/D you it gets real quiet. Also a new brand called Forza Flow has a muffler deeper and quieter than the 40 series flowmasters. Magnaflow has probably the "quietest" sound, but it is very powerful and deep, which what I prefer. From what I've heard it will also flow the most. If you want max performance from an exhaust system I suggest going with true duals, high flow cats and magnaflow muffler with an X-pipe. If you run true duals you want to keep the stock pipe size or you may risk losing some low end power. I you run single exhaust you may be able to jump 1/4, or 1/2 and inch in you pipe diameter. I hope that this helps you out.

Old 09-29-2004 | 09:29 PM
On my 03 supercrew i went with the single 3" Gibson to a 3.5" chrome tip.
It has a nice rumble when you stomp on it, but on the highway very quiet.
I'd say go with the single 3" gibson, it exits out the side where your stock exhaust is and the tip adds a nice tough.
I had a flowmaster on my 01 ford and it was terrible, i'd say stick with Gibson.

Old 09-30-2004 | 12:32 AM
If you like a weak sound, go Gibson.

You could also look into Ravins quieter muffler, the Z77. www.goravon.com
There mufflers have a great design and a deep sound.

~Colby

Old 09-30-2004 | 07:28 AM
APT
Originally posted by supercruz03
i want max. performance with a single exhaust, and not very loud. loud enough to hear when you jump on the peddle but quiet in the cab. i would like it to exit behind the rear wheel.i would like to keep the price under 400.00.
Call up Performance Peddler and order the Magnaflow #15609 system. It's a perfect fit for your description. Another good option is the Borla single system, but I think it costs a little more.

Old 09-30-2004 | 09:52 AM
Originally posted by APT
Call up Performance Peddler and order the Magnaflow #15609 system. It's a perfect fit for your description. Another good option is the Borla single system, but I think it costs a little more.
My sentiments exactly.

Quick Reply: dual exhaust or single ?