muffler

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
muffler

I have an 04 F-150 with the 5.4L and I'm looking at getting a new muffler for it. My first question is would anyone recomend flowmaster over magnaflow or is magnaflow a better option. I want a good throaty sound but nothing obnoxious. My other question is what is the inlet and outlet on the muffler I need to buy. Thanks

Old 10-01-2004, 02:39 AM
Well if you want throaty, Flowmaster is the way to go, but they can get obnoxious. I had magnaflows on my 03 5.4L and I just wasnt that impressed.

So on my 04 F150 5.4L I am going with Raving mufflers (www.goravin.com) which would be in between the magnaflow and flowmaster. Check out their Z55 for a deep throaty sound.

Or another muffler that sounds great on the 04 5.4L is the IMCO muffler (www.grabtheperformance.com), it has a similar sound to flowmaster, but deeper. And I have heard that they are better quality than flowmaster.

If you are stuck on flowmaster, you might want to look into the new Super 40 muffler, which will have a deeper, more robust sound than the original 40 series, but with less interior resonance/drone. All the new 04 guys with this muffler love them!

I am personally going with Ravin's Z33 which is the loudest, and will have a bit of interior noise, but thats the way I like it.

~Colby

Old 10-02-2004, 04:12 PM
I've got hi flow cats and 40 series flowmasters on my 5.4. It gives it a really nice deep rumble. It can get a little loud in the cab sometimes but when it hits overdrive you cant really hear it on the inside. I would have to say go with the flowmaster.

Old 10-04-2004, 11:41 PM
Flowmaster sounds good, but everyone has it and it is the most genaric sound out htere in my opinion. Thats why I am going with something different.

Old 10-27-2004, 10:10 AM
I follow Bullitt around and post in the same threads as he does

I just got a Ravin z55 on my 01 5.4L.
I posted some pics and sounds of it here:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=172627

I think the exhaust sounds damn good!It definitely turns heads (in a good way).

Old 10-27-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by terryit3
I follow Bullitt around and post in the same threads as he does
When you got something great, you just have to let others know!

Old 11-02-2004, 02:26 PM
I'm gettin' a magnaflow next monday. I like the performance idea of a little less restriction with not much more sound than stock. Going with SIDO 3" in 2X2.25"out with 3.5" rolled tips exit at stock location on either side. I can hardly wait. ...Kevin

Old 11-02-2004, 02:35 PM
Sounds like you may lose a little of your bottom end to me..
When I was researching exhaust systems, I was told by my exhaust guy that a SI/DO system with a Magnaflow or Flowmaster would be too free flowing for the Triton engines..
Beats me though.. I just thought I'd share what I learned with you.. Good luck, and I hope it sounds good for you!

Old 11-02-2004, 09:05 PM
cfms

Originally posted by terryit3
Sounds like you may lose a little of your bottom end to me..
When I was researching exhaust systems, I was told by my exhaust guy that a SI/DO system with a Magnaflow or Flowmaster would be too free flowing for the Triton engines..
Beats me though.. I just thought I'd share what I learned with you.. Good luck, and I hope it sounds good for you!
compared to a magnaflow a flowmaster is not free flowing

Old 11-02-2004, 09:16 PM
Re: cfms

Originally posted by openclasspro#11
compared to a magnaflow a flowmaster is not free flowing
I'm just repeating what I was told by my exhaust tech..

Old 11-04-2004, 12:47 AM
When i bought my truck it had a flowmaster on it so I wont to the muffler shop and had them put on a magnaflow. I kept the stock tubing and it gave it a nice rumble. It has allot more "get up and go" now, compared to the flowmaster.

I have a 98 trans am also, and at first I put on a flowmaster because everyone else had one. Then I heard about magnaflow and put on their muffler and it really ran allot better.

Flowmasters are a little louder, but magnaflows are much less restrictive. Hope this helps

Brett

Old 11-05-2004, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by kevhunt
I'm gettin' a magnaflow next monday. I like the performance idea of a little less restriction with not much more sound than stock. Going with SIDO 3" in 2X2.25"out with 3.5" rolled tips exit at stock location on either side. I can hardly wait. ...Kevin
From my understanding and research, on the NEW F150 5.4L 3-valve engine, going SIDO with 3" IN dual 3" OUT will have way less restriction and not ENOUGH backpressure. But we can go with 3" IN dual 2.5" OUT without worry of lossing back presure. SISO you can do 3" IN 3" OUT. On mine I am probably losing some backpresure with 3" IN dual 2.5" OUT because the piping after the muffler is so short and does to 3.5" exhaust tips that are 24" long. But it still pulls like a mother for a truck as heavy as it is and it pulls harder than without exhaust!

Plus I was going for sound quality over straight up high performance numbers. Sound to me is more important (since the truck will never be "fast"). Plus I can make up the lack of low end GAIN by re-gearing with 5.13's!

Quick Reply: muffler