BEST SOUNDING EXHAUST

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-1999, 12:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hello,

I have read alot about Flowmasters on here and have got a good idea what they sound like, but I was wondering if they give that cool crackling sound when accelerating?
Or do glasspacks give that sound?
I just bought a '79 F-150 with a 460, and it has duals out the back. It has a nice sound,
but the exhaust just isn't loud enough.
All I know is that I like that loud crackle
sound! Can someone tell me what part# I need
for my truck, with the 40 series?

I'm new to all this, so please excuse my ignorance. Thanks.

Old 08-17-1999, 01:13 AM
cjag,
I'm interested in your gibson supertruck exhaust system. I have an ext cab and factory running boards. The people at Gibson said it may melt them. I need those big tips to fill in the HUGE gap between the wheel wells and the back end of my running boards. My questions: Do you have running boards?, Could you tell me the distance between the edge of the door and your muffler or pipes (whatever is closer)?, How much? and How long to install?
Thanks for any info!
MG

------------------
'98 XLT 4.6 SC 4x2,
Black SB flareside,
ARE Tonneau,
Lined,
Tinted,
Deflected,
Mini-Disked,
Amped,
Subbed 2x12,
K&Ned,
B-B-B-M-F
Goin' thru tires fast.

Old 08-17-1999, 01:36 AM
this one is for Obritg sorry for taking so long to reply but the 70 series is the quitest muffler flowmaster makes just listening inside your cab with stock exaust
then imagine it twice louder and out side
listen to it and imagine it 3 times louder
its not all that much difference inside the
cab but it is a little louder outside than a stock mustang it has a nice low powerful
rumble on my 4.6 but it would even sound better on a 5.4? mine is a single inlet with
dual 2 and one quarter outlets out the rear
i have heard the 50 series flowmaster in my
own opinion it was way to loud for me i got the 70 series because i tow a bass boat and it was engineered to give you maxiumum towing
power and help own fuel mileage and it has
delivred every thing flowmaster said it would
hope this helps CHEERS!!!!

Old 08-17-1999, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the info F-Trucks but now I'm more confused. While waiting for your reply I contacted Flowmasterthey said their systems for the F 150 come with the 50 series SUV not the 70 series. Was yours special ordered or did they have different systems available when you did yours. If you dont mind checking (not that I doubt you) the 70 series is 22 inches long and the 50 suv is 17 inches according to the catalogue. I'm having a system installed next Weds 8/25 and I want to make the right choice. Great description on the sound by the way. Any help confirming that yours is a 70 would be much appreciated. PS if you go into the chatroom I'm Timbo. Thanks again!!!!!!!

Old 08-18-1999, 11:27 AM
this is for obritg first of all i ordered mine through summit (1-800-230-3030) i installed mine myself it was fairly easy.
okay you are right on the sizes you mentioned
and you said you had a catologue and i am assuming it is a flowmaster catologue if
you will look at page 36 it has the application guide for ford trucks look at the
lower bottom page and it is in red writing
it says part numbers in black bars are
flowmasters recomended mufflers for that specific vehicle! i noticed you have a expedition and it says 97>98 expedition with
2.50 inch pipe coming from your convertor going in to exaust the recommended muffler in black bar says 70 series #52570 it does
not say if it is dual outlets, if your pipe is 3.00 inches it doesnt have a recomended
muffler in black bar it says you can use a
30 series # 53030, 50 series 5 inch #53055,
and a force 2 #17138 these say single out
side exit only it may have something to do with the way the suspension on expeditions
is made cause the F-150' trucks and expeditions are 2 entirely different setups
on the rear if you do not have the flowmaster
catologue you can go to there website at www.flowmastermufflers.com click on application guide, enter make and year and
click on PDF for all vehicles. and it will
give you a better view of the information i
have given you! hope this HELPS! GOOD LUCK!

BLACK! 97 ext cab 4.6 lund cab ext, lund cowl
visor upper & lower billet grille, 8 off road
lights, smittybuilt nerf bars and pushbar,
head, & tail light covers soft tonneue cover
285/75/16 a/t tires K/N filter,flowmaster
duals, dale jarret 88 air freshener future
mods nice rims and a ram air hood maybe a
body or suspension lift AHH! what the heck
i'll put both of them in?

Old 08-18-1999, 07:49 PM
Thanks for all the info F-Trucks. The system
I will have installed will be custom made at a local shop for the one in two out. I just wanted to confirm that you had the 70 series on your truck due to the info I got from Flowmaster on their available systems for the F-150. They said their systems for the F-150 only come with the 50 series SUV of course that is a whole system not just the muffler. Summit must have different options for the systems they sell. Thanks again for all the help, I'll post a message to let you know how I made out. Timbo

Old 08-18-1999, 11:45 PM
ORBITG mine is defintaly a 70 series flowmaster aluminized cat back exaust system
when i called summit they had to contact
flowmaster and check! this exaust for my truck was on a 4 week backorder and it took
about 6 weeks for me to get mine in the mail
cant figure out why flowmaster is telling you
this? somebody at flowmaster better get there
information straight! cause i sure have one
unless it might be because mine is a truck
and yours is a SUV expidition this might be
where the difference is? GOOD LUCK!!!!

Old 08-19-1999, 12:26 AM
HEY!! i was searching the web and found a
place called NEW era exaust company. there
advertising a complete dual exaust for 97 &
98 ford trucks it comes with a flowmaster
muffler, intermediate pipe, left and right
prebent pipes, and two 22" inch chrome 3"1/2
inch tips for $129.95 ORBITG you might want
to check this out! they may have just what
your looking for! cant really gaurantee any
thing i have never dealed with this place, or
no any body that has. but its worth looking in to wished i would have seen this place for
i spent $300 on my exaust! i cant remember
where there website was but i did take down
there toll free number(1-888-246-6766)

Old 08-20-1999, 10:20 AM
Talking

Maddog,
the crackling sound?? not sure if i get when i accelerate (always listening for the noise when i get off the gas), but when you do get off the gas and after the rpm's come back down, boy, does that glasspack talk! i love the fact that i live in a hilly area, so i let my truck coast down hills and that glasspack makes the coolest noise while the truck is engine braking (i guess that is what its doing).
since someone on this site told me that true duals are possible on a v6 then i'm getting another glasspack put on the truck when i get new chrome tips.

------------------
'97 f-150 XLT V6 auto 3.55 silver reg cab flareside , 6 cd, Lariat floor mats, tonneau, ground effects, tint, glasspack w/ duals, new= ion optics fog lights. the heartbeat stops here.

Old 08-20-1999, 11:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pony-
There's a shop up in Collinsville (Hearns) that did my exhaust. For $150, they ran both pipes & installed glass-packs. To get "TRUE" duals, you'll need more than another pack. Give them a call. They're good people and do a good job for a fair price.

Here's a link to hear how their setup sounds on a 4.6L: http://members.visualcities.com/nomo...tive/packs.wav

The file is kind of big.

Neal

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/glass-packs, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, Optima "T-Bone" wheels, and Clarion In-dash CD player.

1993 4x2 F150 Reg. Cab LWB- 5.0L, cat-back dual exhaust w/glass-packs, K&N air filter, Superchip, fresh paint, and Line-X bedliner.
http://members.visualcities.com/NoMo

Old 08-21-1999, 02:31 AM
You have dual glass packs nomo? I was going
to change my exhaust from stock (in front of the rear tire) to a different muffler with duals out the back. I heard alot of things on how nice the flowmaster 40 series sounds, but I'm curous, how do those glasspacks sound? I've never actually heard one but I know they sound nice. I'm just afraid if I got 2 glass packs, or even one, it would be louder than the flowmaster and I don't want to get TOO loud, just kinda loud with a nice sound. How does your 4.6 make those glasspacks sound?

------------------
97 F-150 XLT 4.6L, Black, S/C, 4x4, ORP, K&N, Chrome Westin nerfs, Omniguard SE bug deflector, Extang snapless tonno, Kenwood CD, Kenwood 6x8's, Kenwood tweeters, Kenwood 300 watt amp, MTX thunderform dual 8's.

Old 08-21-1999, 11:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

It's kind of loud, but not too loud. I prefer deep, mellow tones, but it's kind of hard to get them with smaller displacement engines. You have to get pretty long packs or you'll have that really loud "blatty" sound.

The glass-packs on the Expedition are 30" long. The shop I use makes their own and sells them under the brand name "White Knight". They come in sizes from 32" down to 12".

If you don't get true duals, then smaller packs would be better. Because of the cat configuration, the pipes on my F150 have to go from a single pipe to dual exit. Even with shorter (18") packs, it's not as loud as the Expedition.

If your PC has sound capabilities, then you can hear the Expedition by downloading the packs.wav file linked in my previous post.

Neal

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/glass-packs, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, Optima "T-Bone" wheels, and Clarion In-dash CD player.

1993 4x2 F150 Reg. Cab LWB- 5.0L, cat-back dual exhaust w/glass-packs, K&N air filter, Superchip, fresh paint, and Line-X bedliner.
http://members.visualcities.com/NoMo

Old 08-26-1999, 08:19 AM
thanks nomo,
i wonder what kind of sound i'll get if i add another glasspack to go along with one that is almost 3 years old.

------------------
'97 f-150 XLT V6 auto 3.55 silver reg cab flareside , 6 cd, Lariat floor mats, tonneau, ground effects, tint, glasspack w/ duals, new= ion optics fog lights. the heartbeat stops here.

Old 08-26-1999, 09:12 AM
I just had a Flowmaster 50 series (3 chamber #42551) installed on my '97 F150, leaving the existing side exit in place. Everything fit perfectly. I have noticed a definite increase in HP with lower RPM's and the engine runs cooler. My first reaction was that it was too quiet. It idle's with a slight deep rumble. You can hear it well when accelerating tho. It's starting to grow on me.

'97 F150 4x4, 4.6L v8, CD changer, K&N, flowmaster 50's, tow package.....

Old 09-08-1999, 05:58 PM
Hi Folks,

This place is great. You all are an inspiration. One thing I haven't seen here yet though is the Rhino Kit exhaust I put on my 99 F-150 4x4. I can't help but stand on it whenever I'm out of the laws prying eyes. I even love to sit on the porch and listen when my wife takes off with it. It rumbles at idle, roars from the corner, and it really doesn't overpower you at cruise. It looks great too. My guy installed it for $225.

------------------
99 Lariat, 5.4, Rhino Exhaust, K&N Air, Off Road Pkg., Tonneau,
Black over Gold

Quick Reply: BEST SOUNDING EXHAUST