BEST SOUNDING EXHAUST

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-1999, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BEST SOUNDING EXHAUST

what is anyone's opinion for a good sounding exhaust..i want it too be louder than stock but not frag racing loud. Something that will turn heads at lights and when i hit the gasHelp... email me if you can THANKS EVERY1

Old 06-29-1999, 01:05 PM
try the Gibson DUal Rear exhaust. They sound very nice.
www.gibsonexhaust.com

------------------
1999 Ford F150 XLT 4x2, Cloth Seats, Amazon green, 16" All season tires, Soft Tonneau Cover, CD Player, 4.6 liter Triton V8, 3:55 ls, towing package, 4 speed auto, K&N Airfilter, soon Superchip and K&N GEN II.

Fast46Triton

The Terminator!

Old 06-29-1999, 03:29 PM
Might sound a little redneckish, but I'am going to dual my F150 XLT 4x4 with 3' pipe, glass packs and dual chrome tips. That'll turn some heads including some police officers. I want the loudest possible sound. On my old '90 Mustang GT 5.0 5/speed we took the exhaust system out, hollowed out the catalytic converters, and ran straight pipe. That was fun. Ever time I got to 5kRMP and shift to 3rd it would blow flames outta the back. That was a riot when I passed people. Talk about having a hard time getting an inspection sticker...ahh the good old days with those lovely 302's If that's a little carried away, I agree with fast46triton on the dual gibson.

Blake

Old 06-29-1999, 04:48 PM
Make sure it aint too loud {excuse me for saying aint!}! WHen its too loud, you'll get pulled over and ticketed!

------------------
1999 Ford F150 XLT 4x2, Cloth Seats, Amazon green, 16" All season tires, Soft Tonneau Cover, CD Player, 4.6 liter Triton V8, 3:55 ls, towing package, 4 speed auto, K&N Airfilter, soon Superchip and K&N GEN II.

Fast46Triton

The Terminator!

Old 06-29-1999, 05:36 PM
Really Old "Member"

Blake, you cayn't be no redneck less you live in Gooorja.

Seriously, I can't figure out what to do with my 99.5 Lightning due to the "computer optomized" system that SVT tells me we have and "don"t mess with it".

For what it's worth, I grew up in SoCal in the fifties, and everything I ever had was "glass-packed" and dualed.

I have sitting in the driveway a fairly stock '56 Custom Cab F-100 with headers, 20 inch glass packs and Borla tips that you can hear for six blocks if I get into it. Absolute pure music, if you like that sort of sound.

I would sure like to get that sound out of my new Lightning.

------------------

Bill Murray
60 going on 17 w/my:
99.5 White Lightning
Bone Stock for now.
Stay tuned.

Old 06-29-1999, 06:22 PM
Haha...yea..although I don't live in Georgia, I do live in Texas! And no, I don't have dual CB antennas, home stereo woofers, Yosimte Sam mudflaps, curb feelers, pine tree air freshener, or walmart 4x4 stickers on my truck. Sorry to dissapoint. I do love the glass pack/dual rig. Love to hear that throaty V8

Blake

Old 06-29-1999, 11:19 PM
Hey guys & gals,
I went with a custom shop, they did a great job. The set up is a 3" cat back exiting out the side in front of the passenger rear tire. The system started with widening the "Y" where the cats join, then a single short tube (3") to the new muffler, 36" long and VERY FREE FLOWING (you can see right through to the other end, almost looks hollow), then it exits with dual 3" pipes to the side and capped off with chrome tips. Man its the sweetest thunder, and boy do you get the looks at the stop lights. The JBA's are next. YAHOO!

------------------
1999 F-150 XLT, Ext.Cab, 5.4L, 3:55 limited slip, 4x2, Bright Torch Red(all color matched-bumpers, mirrors) "Sport" pkg., Tonneau,285/50/17, 3" custom catback, Superchips, Airaid, Lowered 4" rear & 3" front, Herculiner bed lining(self install) AWESOME! Newest E/T at the drags 6/26/99: 14.9sec at 90.4 mph

Old 06-30-1999, 03:17 AM
Has anyone heard the single out 3" Gibson? I know they are best for low end power, but do they sound better than stock?

------------------
Ford F-150 XL
Black/Grey 2-tone
Standard Cab/Long Bed
Auto 3.55 gears
V6 (yeah, I know it's no v-8, but at least it's a FORD, right?)
Bedliner
Pioneer p-7000 Head Unit
(2) 12" Pioneer Subs
800w Pioneer Amp
Pioneer 6x8's
(noticing a trend here? :0)

Old 06-30-1999, 11:57 AM
FordMX. I have the 3" Gibson cat-back on my 4.6. nice sound but very quite, not much different than stock. wanted more noise so I purchased a muffler thru Summit. much better. nice at idle and very noticable thru the gears. some drone but nothing I can't live with.

------------------
99 F-150 XL 4x4. RC Flareside 4.6 5spd, 3.55LS. gibson 3" cat-back, K&N Gen ll.Westin step bars.Ventshade window deflectors and bug deflector and a cool white shifter ball. The SILVER BULLET. Rock and Roll...Baby!!!

Old 06-30-1999, 05:04 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Cableguy,

Congratulations on getting into the 14's, that's fantastic!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com

Old 06-30-1999, 06:56 PM
I put the Gibson 3" side swept on my truck and am very happy with it. Understand it is on an "old" 4.9 6 cyl., but it definitely sounds better!! The stock exhaust had absolutely NO sound to it whatsoever! The sound could be louder at times, but I'm sure that if it were, there would be times that I wished it was quiter. It's a give and take. If you want something louder, go with the super truck, also from Gibson. I am very impressed with the Gibson product as a whole, my only advice would be to shop around quite a bit. I found two days after I ordered mine that I could have saved $80!! Try www.coastalperformance.com , I believe that's their address. If not, look though a Truckin' mag. I think that part of the sound increase may come from the K&N FIPK, more air in, more out! Good luck and keep us posted on what you do!!

Neal

------------------
'94 F-150, 4.9 6cyl., Pioneer CD, 400 Watt amp, and a couple speakers to boot! K&N FIPK, Mangecor 8mm wires. Gibson Side Swept.. Soon to come: I NEED that superchip!!! But have to send in my puter for 2 days ;( This truck is a torque monster!!

Old 06-30-1999, 07:07 PM
Flowmaster is the only way to go. I've heard Gibson's and straight pipes. My flowmaster 40 series 2 chamber is louder and overall better sounding. Everyone wants to race when they hear it.

Mike

------------------
97 Bright Red, S/C, Off Road XLT, 4.6, 5speed, 3.55 LS.
Sunvisor, Bug shield, Nerf Bars, Leer Cap (for winter), Flowmaster 40 series, Airbox mods, K&N, Eclipse Stereo.

Old 06-30-1999, 07:33 PM
I've the Flowmaster. Love it. It is also the cause of me sometimes not getting as good a gas milage as I should. (foots in it) It's a nice deep roar when shifting up and it seriously rumbles when down shifting. People LOOK! This is a loud muffler and may be more than you're looking for.

Cableguy: 14.9 sec WOW I would have to be driving down hill through a hurricane to get up that kind of speed. Congradulations

------------------
97F150 XLT SC 4x4 Flairside 4.6 V8 5sp Dk Toreador Red, 3.55LS
ARE tonneau cover, p255/70rx16 tires (came w/235), Superchip
Pioneer CD w/4 Polk Speakers & Clarion APA5240amp, skid plates
bed liner, side window deflectors, reese hitch, K&N air filter
40s-2chamber Flowmaster, Bosch +4 spark plugs, rustproofing

Old 07-18-1999, 07:45 PM
Talking

SpaceAce: I'll try on that description: It's Loud, you know it's a V8 while it's sitting still! Do you know what a harley sounds like? The way it rumbles? The sound is similar. Downshifts are the best, but I've a 5 speed and can seriously downshift Also I have a short mandrell bent steel tail pipe that exits before the rear tire, 2 1/2" dia. I think that short pipe helps with the deep sounds. There is noise inside the cab, especially if the windows are open!! When shut, you can still hear it but it's kind of muffled like. Radio helps here. After installing and driving, I could feel the increase in HP. I'm used to it now and can't really tell anymore, even though I know it's still giving me the added HP. Personally, I picked the 40 because it was supposed to be loud. It's exactly what I wanted and the sounds are even deeper than I hoped. I don't know about the delta???? I have pulled along side cops, I tend to not downshift to cause him to look my way!! It's not to loud, but why TRY to get into trouble!

Old 07-18-1999, 07:58 PM
Talking

Tina,
Very good description. I have about 27" of pipe between the cat and the muffler, probably 55-60" total including the muffler. I want to come out before the tire with my 3" pipe, and that should not be a problem. Any window vibration with the sound resonance? How are they as far as corrosion?

I promise, no more questions! !

------------------
1999 F250 SD CC, LWB, 5.4L, Auto, 4x4, Power TT mirrors w/ marker lights installed, White, Full Tint, PendaPro SR
open airbox w/ K&N filtercharger.

Quick Reply: BEST SOUNDING EXHAUST