Newbie Ehaust Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004 | 09:08 AM
|
Newbie Ehaust Advice

I have a '91 full size Bronco w/302 and stock exhaust in need of repair. The passenger side exhaust maifold is cracked and the tailpipe needs replacement. I would like to take the opportunity to get a better sound from the truck. What would you suggest? Priorities are: 1-cost, 2-sound, 3-performance, 4-looks
Thanks for any advice.

Old 10-03-2004 | 09:26 PM
The 302 sounds great with any brand.

Cost / Sound wise, I would choose MAGNAFLOW over any other brand in the market. It isn't LOUD at idle with Magnaflow, but when you get on it.. You will know it.

Try www.fle-online.com for more information. I got all my Magnaflow parts (Cats, Muffler, tips) for around $250 w/shipping.

Good luck!

Old 10-07-2004 | 09:53 PM
have you considered putting a turn down muffler on your truck? A flowmaster muffler with a turn down on it shouldn't cost you more than 120 bucks. Plus, you will never have to worry about a rotted tail pipe again, and you don't have to worry about what it looks like because you can't see it. And, if you decide you want a tailpipe later on, just whack the turndown off and weld the tailpipe on.

Old 10-07-2004 | 09:58 PM
Oh yeah, and as far as the exhaust manifold goes, costwise I would just get a factory replacement for that. I imagine many auto parts retailers would have one or could get you one.

Old 10-08-2004 | 12:59 AM
|
Thanks for the replies. I can deal with the exhaust manifold replacement. In fact I have an '85 FSB for parts with a 302 in it so I can probably use the manifold from the '85. Will I pick up the better sound with just a different muffler? The turn down is a good idea. Anything in particular I should look for? Just match whatever the pipe size is coming of the cat?

Old 10-08-2004 | 08:42 AM
remember, if you use just the turn downs it will be a lot louder in the cab because the sound will echo off the ground directly underneath you. just me 2 cents.

Old 10-08-2004 | 10:42 AM
Turn downs might not be legal on your truck depending on where you live. In Texas the exhaust has to extend past the passenger compartment. That would mean out the back or sides on a Bronco. My friend has a bronco that we just took the stock muffler off of. It sounded good but he had to get tailpipes put on it before he could get it inspected.

Quick Reply: Newbie Ehaust Advice