Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mileage

I have a 2002 Supercab F150 FX4 with the 5.4L V8. I have a Northstar pop-up camper on the back. I am looking for ways to improve my gas mileage. Any suggestions? Would a new exhaust system help? New air system? Recommendations on brands and models would be appreciated.

Old 10-05-2004, 04:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i have a flowmaster si so with 3 inch pipe and a 40 series muffler, i picked up right under 1 mpg, sounds awsome tho and gots more power

Old 10-06-2004, 10:10 AM
Electric fans and underdrive pulleys. You can't argue with simply reducing your engine's parasitic drag.

Old 10-06-2004, 02:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i didnt see any change with the e fans, havent tried the underdrive pullies due to my power needs

Old 10-06-2004, 03:31 PM
It is highly unlikely that you will ever save enough money on gas to offset the cost of any of these modifications.

Just another point of view...

Old 10-07-2004, 09:43 AM
Resetting the computer has been the biggest asset to mileage on my (using the foot properly not withstanding) on my 2000, 4.6L with drop in K&N and stock everything else.

It seems that even though the computer is constantly adjusting to attempt improvements, that it can over time pick up some bad habits along the way. Resetting clears the bad habits and lets everything have a fresh start.

I have read several ways to do this reset. I use the method described in my Chilton.

Disconnect the negative battery cable and leave it disconnected for at least five minutes. Reconnect the cable and drive the vehicle at least ten miles incorporating both city and highway conditions. Some vehicles may require more than ten miles. In my case, I drive about four miles through town to reach the highway and then, drive a full twenty miles on the highway in cruise at sixty-five which is my normal cruising speed. The results are positive. Highway mileage is now consistently in the high nineteens to over twenty and city is upwards of sixteen in opposed to downwards of sixteen. With tool box, cargo, and passengers, my normal load is eight hundred to a thousand pounds.

This reset, zeros the odometer and requires that the clock be reset. I have heard that on some vehicles the presets on the radio are lost but not on my mine.

Before I started using the disconnect followed by the ten mile plus run, I used a disconnect and drove whatever my normal routines required which would be short jumps of two or three miles here to there and back. The short runs had a less favorable effect that the single long run.

Resetting the computer is now a part of my regular maintenance and should I
tow or carry something that increases my load by much, I reset just before starting the trip. The distance required to reset, then, is consumed within the miles of the trip.

This helped me. It may help you. Good luck.

George

Old 10-08-2004, 04:04 PM
Banned for Use of Multiple Usernames
I would not recommend pulley replacement on a vehicle that is used to haul heavy loads. Electric fans would help, as would mods that make the engine breathe easier - intake, exhaust. Reducing friction can help - synthetic fluids in engine, trans, rear end, x-fer case. Also maintaining your vehicle - tune up, air filter, tire inflation, etc... can affect your mileage both ways. Driving style has a lot to do with it as well. All these things have the POTENTIAL to increase your mileage, but if you keep putting your foot down...

Quick Reply: Mileage