Rear Exit or Rear SIDE exit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2000 | 07:16 PM
|
Question Rear Exit or Rear SIDE exit?

What are some pro's and con's of both?

Old 01-10-2000 | 05:48 PM
this is my opinion only,but I think the rear exit would flow better because of less bends.

------------------
97 F-150 s/c 4x4 off road package. 4.6,k&n,dual exhaust.

Old 01-12-2000 | 01:50 AM
If the side exit is before the rear wheel it should flow better than a out the back system. It has less bends, maybe 0ne 90 out to the side while the rear exit has to bend over the axle. If you're refering to rear exit, straight out the back by the receiver hitch compared to rear exit to the sides I don't see how one more bend will make that much of a difference. There is also a scavenging effect that I think would work better with the side exit. If the tips are in the wind, angle cut, with the long part of the tip facing the front. Most folks put the long part of the tips on the up side. Sounds like a good theory anyway...

[This message has been edited by V10 man (edited 01-12-2000).]

Old 01-12-2000 | 04:19 PM
|
I always wondered if the 97's had enough back pressure with the before-the-wheel exhaust mounts, due to less pipes

Old 01-12-2000 | 08:55 PM
Cool

I have mine ran out the sides@ a 45deg just in front of the rear bumper. My reason was when I had my previous truck and they were ran out on each side of the reciever- you got choked when hooking up a trailer or recovery pull. I really, really don't think a hot gasous vapor (EXHAUST FUMES) is going to create any more restriction with one more 45deg bend. Maybe if you're trying to get another .05 of a sec. at the track you would want to find out more info. but that would be the very least of my worries. I don't think you can run them in front of the tires on both sides (fuel tank on drivers side), but you can run them both out on the passenger side. I would definately stay away from varying the exit locations, not kosher.

------------------
'97 Ford SC 4X4 XLT Off Road pkg., 4.6,A/OD, 3:55, premium sound w/CD chg, Black clct,towing pkg., hvy duty elec. pkg., Bridestone dueler AT's, line X, Flowmaster true duals, chip, K&N air filter, smittybilt stainless nerf bars

Old 01-12-2000 | 09:13 PM
Pastmaster,

One other consideration that I am grappling with in my truck. If you run the exhaust out the back, you may not want to do any long runs with your tailgate down. I don't see from your post what kind of rig you have, but for me I have a SB. I also do a lot of tooling around the house and need 4 x 8 sheets of whatever, requiring me to cruise with the 'gate down. I don't want any exhaust stains, etc on my tailgate. So, when I get a catback, I will probably go with the side exit (gibson sweptside) based on the above considerations, recommendations from this site, and the wish for a "sleeper" type sound.

Just my 0.02

------------------
BLK 2000 F150 XLT 4X4 SuperCab SB, Shift-on-the-fly, 5.4L, 4R70W, 3.55 LS, 4-Wheel disc/ABS, ORP, Keyless, PWR Seat, Slider, Soft tonneau, Cab steps.
MODS: Rhino, Molded flaps

Old 01-13-2000 | 04:06 PM
|
I have a 93 F-150. I have duals out the back with 3.5" tips. I also have a Drop bumper, and they have made the bottom of the bumper a different color. I like the look of rear side exits, and as well as the sound, but I may end up getting a newer truck, and of course I want a better exhaust.

Old 01-14-2000 | 08:21 PM
I have a 97, 4.2, that the dealer relocated the exhaust from in front of the back tire to the rear. The power loss is terrific. Wish I had left it in front of the tire.

Old 01-14-2000 | 09:34 PM
I have a Gibson split-rear exit cat-back, with the tips coming out just below my chrome bumper. I have not noticed any discoloring whatsoever. The chrome occasionally will fog just above the pipes in cold air, but it only lasts a couple of seconds before it goes back to normal. I can't imagine any problems on your tailgate.

------------------
'97 F150 4x4 Off-Road Extended Cab Lariat Flareside white/tan, tan leather, 4.6

bedliner
single-lid toolbox Gibson split-rear exit
cat-back exhaust
K&N Air Filter

Many more modifications to come

Old 01-17-2000 | 09:37 AM
I too have never had the wheel discolor problem after almost 4 years. I still suspect the real culprit for some/most that experienced this problem was an improperly applied clear coat on the wheel components or perhaps the use of caustic aluminum/chrome wheel cleaners that removed the clear coating. Thus exposing them to exhaust and brake dust corrosion that would otherwise have been prevented by the clear coat.

------------------
97 F-150 SC Lariat, Styleside, White over Gold, 4.6L (Windsor), Automatic, 3.55 rear end, electronic 4X4, w/ every option of Lariat and ORP packages except the 17" wheels (I even got the OR decals now!), MOD's so far: K&N air box mod, Gibson Super Truck, clear Bugflector II, Leer TSC 600 hard cover, Bridgestone Dueler OWL ATP 265/75 R-16's, TrailMaster Invader N7 shocks, Smittybilt step bars, Ford moulded mud guards, "White-white" head lamps, Cloud Rider Design's SS Grill and bumper opening "Summer Grill's", Bosch platinum + 4's.

Old 01-17-2000 | 02:04 PM
From: INDIANA,.....USA " Where more than Corn grows in Indiana"!!!
Exclamation

Rear exit, it rules!!!!!!! Plus the sound isn`t right behind your ears. I`ve never had any problems with the chrome on the rear bumper either still goods great!!!! I`m running duals with 3 1/2 Cannons 20" Long. Its really " to each his own on this ", at least thats what I think. .....Lariat#1

------------------
1997 Red/Silver F150 Lariat Flareside 3 Dr. SC W/ ORP & Tow Package, Complete Lariat Package Option List ,{APPEARANCE}: AVS Carbon Fiber Headlite Covers, Tail Lite Slots & Door Sill Protectors,Owens Fg. Step Boards, Tinted Windows,Ford 2-Piece Bra,20" Chrome Exhaust Tips,A.R.E Bed Cover Lid,Pendaliner Inner Tail Gate Protector,Zie-Bart Total Paint & Under Coating W/ Sounder Deadener Protection, #1 Ford Truck Plate under glass on Front Bumper, {PERFORMANCE}: 4.6L Auto, 3.55LS, 4-Wheel ABS,Platinum 3 Spark Plugs,K&N Air Filter W/ modified stock air box, Tornado Air Man.,WMS Velocity Tube,Dual Exhaust System,Per. Fiction Carbon Mettalic Disc Brake Pads,Goodyear Wrangler A/TS Tires,55 Watt(replacement) Back-up Lites, Pilot 55 watt Back-up Lites on Hitch under truck,Foglites work W/ Brites On , {STEREO}: Stock In-Dash Cass. W/6 Disc Changer & 4 Stock Speakers, {SECURITY}: Ford Security System W/ Motion Alarm All on same Key Fob, This is LARIAT 1... IN The Great State Of Indiana..........http://hometown.aol.com/terrylariat1...page/auto.html A very Proud Member of ...www.f150online.com

Quick Reply: Rear Exit or Rear SIDE exit?