can it hurt not to have mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004 | 01:24 AM
|
can it hurt not to have mufflers

was wondering if you could run no mufflers on a 2002 f-150 w/ a 4.6. could this harm the motor?how loud do youthinkit would be. i am looking for a loud deep rumble out of a 4.6. thanks

Old 10-16-2004 | 01:39 AM
The tickets might hurt if you live in cali!

The main issue is that you might lose some low end torque, due to a loss of backpresure. Back presure is your friend, to a point. Unless you are turboed or something!

Old 10-16-2004 | 03:31 AM
I have a 97 with a 4.6 and I cut the muffler and welded a piece of pipe back where it was. It's pretty dang loud, and it didn't sound good at first, but after about 50 miles, it sounds like a dream, especially when I get on it! I don't think it made any noticeable losses of power (I'm sure it lost some, but not enough to tell). It always turns heads when I step on the throttle at all, but I haven't gotten any static from the cops. I have been pulled over for other things and I have got a litle loud leaving road checks, but they haven't mentioned it. I think it's definitely a mod worth doing, but it's going to annoy your neighbors or anyone who doesn't appreciate a LOUD truck!

Old 10-16-2004 | 01:20 PM
on my 98 4.6, i cut out the muffler and welded in a Y pipe, and ran dual tailpipes. It sounds really good, nice deep rumble, and sounds pretty mean on accelleration. I did it 10,000 miles ago and absolutely no problems. Go for it!!

Old 10-16-2004 | 01:42 PM
ww 2 fighters and bombmers flow with out muflers, nitris oxide was also used-devloped to give extra power.

if your running it wide open, all the time, you will get more power with out muflers, but you will not be drriving at 20,000 ft.

Mulflers regulate sound, and at low speeds help to maintain back pressure. I'm exploering a cat back system for my 04 f-150, 5.4 not sure if i will will go with a dual muflers, or a singel, my truck is a 4wd and the transfer case prevents me from going stright back from the manifolds.

Old 10-24-2004 | 01:22 AM
It won't in any way hurt your motor, but will hurt your power. Probably not enough to notice, but in my opinion it will sound like crap! If you want it loud then fine. But being loud isn't everything. Trust me, I like loud too, but a good sounding loud. If your want to have a good sounding loud truck, invest your money in a good high performance muffler. I think removing mufflers completely or installing "glass packs" sounds like crap! And not because it's too loud. You can find a muffler that produces sound just as loud, but sounds 10 times better. Don't be cheap, give your truck what it deserves.

Old 10-25-2004 | 03:37 PM
trust me ive never had one person say my truck sounds like crap, and ive had alot of complements on it. Its louder than most chevys and dodges, but sounds very deep and great under hard accell.

Dont listen to this guy that posted above me, straight pipes sound great, and if for some reason you dont like them, you can always go back and have muffler(s) welded in. Too many people pay to have mufflers welded in, then they think theyre too quiet, so they have them cut out and have louder mufflers or straight pipe put in place, and wish that thats what they had done before. I am one of those.

Old 10-25-2004 | 10:49 PM
hmnnn

before i put my 15609 ss magnaflow ss 3" exhaust on- i put it on without muffler and straight piece of pipe- made my 03 5.4 weak sounding ,not to mention lost off idle tq- put the muffler on ,the tq came back plus some as well as more power through the entire rpm band- my .02$

Old 10-27-2004 | 03:07 AM
Guess its all just personal taste! I am thinking of getting both. I want to install the electric cutouts for the super loud and then run around with my Ravin for "normal" loudness!

Old 10-27-2004 | 05:00 PM
I have some questions. If you go with straight pipes, what dia should be used? Go with the same as stock after the cat or step up the pipe size. Will a larger dia pipe sound differently?

Also is there any truth that an exhaust is louder going straight back out the rear rather than out the sides, like after the rear tires?

Thanks for the clarifications

Old 10-28-2004 | 12:04 AM
size

without mufflers you are already losing baCKPRESSURE- DO NOT go larger than stock-2.5- myself- i 'd go 2.25 with an x-pipe

Old 10-28-2004 | 09:44 PM
|
i like what dads hoss had to say, does it seem louder if you shoot it out the back or the side. or does it make a difference.

Old 10-28-2004 | 10:20 PM
Do you mean louder to you, as the driver? If so the loudest setup is out the side like I got! The shorter the pipes, the less restriction. The lesser the restriction, the louder it is!

Quick Reply: can it hurt not to have mufflers