Please Explain about cherry bombs

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2000 | 11:52 PM
|
Question Please Explain about cherry bombs

ok yall. i was asking about the cherry bomb earlier right? well, i dont really know what it is. you see my friend heard i wanted to put pipes on my truck and he offered to give me a cherry bomb that he has lying around. me, having very low funds due to a new paint job, was just wondering about this cherry bomb. now people are talking about purple hornies. what on earth are those? sorry, i try to know a lot about trucks but honestly i dont. i am just a highschool girl trying to learn i guess. thanks yall!

Old 03-24-2000 | 02:31 AM
Lightbulb

like i said before'' some people say cherry bombs are for high school kids''.do what you can for the money.cat back exhausts like the gibson and flowmasters are a good chunk of money.they do add some horse power,unlike the cherry bombs.don't feel bad i don't know what a purple hornies are.some one may be pulling your leg.

Old 03-24-2000 | 08:02 AM
i'm a college girl and i'm telling you - don't do it.
purple hornies and cherry bombs are the same thing (glasspack) just from different manufacturers. don't be dazzled by the cool colors they come in. you must also consider the length and width of a muffler or it will hurt your trucks performance- i say these are too short/small. if none of us can help you here then call a muffler shop and they will tell you all about glasspacks. I was told by a muffler shop that glasspacks were the worst thing that we could put on these trucks - that was after i've had it for 3 years. the muffler shop that sold it to me, well, i won't do business w/ them anymore.
like i said before - i have a glasspack on my '97 v6 and regret it, but i also have dual glasspacks on my 68 mustang v8 and it sounds cool.
you still haven't told us what type of truck you have, so please share the info.
if you really want to put that thing on there then you can, just hold on to the original muffler and pipe so you can put it back on if you don't like the shorter glasspacks.

[This message has been edited by ponysix8 (edited 03-24-2000).]

Old 03-24-2000 | 11:11 AM
Just for reference here's what a single 18" glasspack split into dual pipes exiting the rear sounds like on a 4.6. The recording isn't the best, but it might give you some idea.

<A HREF="http://tnet.dyndns.org/glasspack1.wav" TARGET=_blank>http://tnet.dyndns.org/glasspack1.wav
</A>

Here are a couple other related links.

<A HREF="http://www.flowtech.com/hornies.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.flowtech.com/hornies.html
</A>

<A HREF="http://www.maremont.com/prod04.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.maremont.com/prod04.htm
</A>

I personally like the sound of the glasspack, and have not been able to discern any power difference over stock, or the cheap "performance" muffler I did have. Of course, that statement flows both ways, I didn't "find" any hidden horsepower either. If you have the $$$$ then one of the high quality cat-backs is probably the way to go. But if you're short on cash and need to hear a little rumble, then you won't know if you'll like it or not unless you try it.

Oh yeah, on a side note, I personally don't think my setup has a droning problem at highway speeds. You can hear it a little, but wind noise and other road noises are more prevelent. Again, exhaust sound, includng how much drone is too much, is a very objective thing. So try to find what you like. Have fun and be safe.

------------------
1997 F150 XLT Flareside
4.6, Auto, 3.55, custom catback
Pioneer DEH-305, Alpine 3547, 12" Kicker Comp.

Old 03-25-2000 | 01:12 AM
|
ponysix-
i have an 88 f150 xcab with a 302 engine.

to everyone else: thanks yall. you were all great help!

Old 03-25-2000 | 04:10 AM
Cherry Bombs are a brand of short red glass pack. Used to be popular because they were cheap and loud. Some people also refer to all glass packs as cherry bombs, became a generic term somewhere along the line. If you are set on glass packs check on Walker Continentals. They have a nice rumble at idle and sound good but not obnoxious at WOT and have car model specific part #s Cherry Bombs were kind of one size fits all. I put a lot of them on classmates in high school. Most loved them but would hate the warning tickets for excessive noise.

[This message has been edited by ps398 (edited 03-25-2000).]

Old 03-28-2000 | 01:44 PM
awesome,
with that truck you could get away with glasspack(s) sounding good, just watch the length.
Tiron,
i have a v6 and it does drone. i also have a reg cab so the muffler is practically right under the seats, so i can hear it pretty well. both nomo and a muffler shop guy agreed that the particular size of my glasspack wasn't taking anything away from my truck, but its not helping either.
i was going for loud when i started out and 3 years later i'm ready to tone it down. once i get to my home pc, i'll take a listen to your file, but here's my sig w/ my sound file in it.

------------------
aka Mudderette; '97 (12/96) f-150 XLT V6 auto 3.55 silver reg cab flareside , 6 cd, Lariat floor mats, tonneau, full length running boards, tint, "bumblebee" glasspack w/ duals, billet grille, ion optics fog lights, cracked windshield, 16X8 Eagle Alloys, K&N air filter, painted taillight covers, Cobra CB radio, Sean's Trailmaster shocks. Future Mods= driving lights, sunroof, superchip, pulley, dynomax #17776. the heartbeat stops here.
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/ponysix8 http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/ponysix8/images/T004.wav

Old 03-28-2000 | 10:28 PM
Just wanted to mention that I'm having some computer problems right now and it might be a couple of days before my sound files will be avaliable again.

Old 04-19-2000 | 03:53 PM
Somebody finally mentioned the glasspack within this section. I am running true duals with two 18" glasspacks and it sounds AWESOME (all low rumble, never obnoxious). On my old '98 V6 F-150 I was running Flowmaster which also sounded ok (but reminds me too much of a Mustang) but did not notice any more performance gains than I did with the glasspacks. Almost any muffler other than the stock is going to give you performance improvements due to the restrictiveness of the stock. Gibson, Flowmaster, etc. just put a hell of alot of money into advertising to say that they are the best when there are cheaper ways to gain more performance.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT
4.6 Triton V8,3:55,AT,2WD
SuperCab, SB, StyleSide
Gold + Wedgewood Blue w/ tan interior, Captains chairs,
Kenwood 40x4 CD player/changer, True Dual exhaust w/ 18" glasspacks
w/ chrome tips out the back, bug/rock shield, K&N air filter,
265/75/16 BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA's
Soon: Spray-in bedliner, Accra-Step molded step,
tinted windows.

Old 04-30-2000 | 09:32 PM
the beast,
speaking of turbo mufflers.... we had dual turbo mufflers on a 1979 T-Bird v8 and it was quiet - awesome car though.
but tomorrow I am ordering a superturbo muffler for my truck - hope it sounds good. it will replace the glasspack I have.

Old 05-07-2000 | 01:59 AM
Hey awesome,
hows it going? im running glasspacks on my 302, and it sounds awesome, but it is no good if you are looking for power, if you don't go with the cherry bomb check out the torpedo tube, it is really cheap and you can get one at any meineke. good luck and have fun
JB

------------------
92 reg cab flareside 302 w/8.8 rear. Custom cat back exhaust with glasspacks and dual chrome tips. Summit performance headers, K&N air filter. Performance accesories 3" body lift, 33x12.50 sport kings on 15x10 chrome mod rims. Better built diamond plate toolbox. Aiwa cd player with JBL amp to two 6-1/2's and two 10" subs in boxes. NEW: Ford the best never rest floor mats (pretty sharp) Best mod to date: taking off the huge egr hood deflector.
Check out my truck at http://geocities.com/fattron/jb.html

Old 05-07-2000 | 03:03 AM
k, YES this is off topic, but gimme a break =)

Awesome and Jordan, what's up, two more College Station folk up here huh? Awesome stuff, Jordan, do you goto school here? And Awesome, you goto High School huh, are you gonna goto A&M? Or are you gonna get away from the folks? Tell me bout your trucks, maybe we might see each other on the road sometime.

------------------
I am the driver of BIG RED! '99 S/C, 4.2, 5 spd, XLT, Bright Red Clearcoat, Medium Graphite, 5 Spoke 16" Cast Aluminum wheels, Lund bug shield, Limo tint, Pendaliner.

Aim Screenname : Qwikranger

Audio:
Pioneer DEH-345 Head Unit, Infinity Reference 5x7's all around, Kenwood KAC-848 50x4 amp on them, MTX Thunderform loaded with two MTX 6000 8's, and an MTX Pro 75 x 2 Blue Thunder Amp on those beasts.

Things I want:
1. Dynomax Cat Back Exhaust (A-1 Performance)
2. Airaid intake

Old 05-08-2000 | 01:28 PM
Yeah i am a freshman here,
I have a maroon 92 flareside. Around here it is pretty much one of a kind. It is lifted and sits on 33's. You will know when you see it. Ill be selling it this summer though, in pursuit of a mustang. Ill keep a lookout for you. See yall around!
JB

------------------
92 reg cab flareside 302 w/8.8 rear. Custom cat back exhaust with glasspacks and dual chrome tips. Summit performance headers, K&N air filter. Performance accesories 3" body lift, 33x12.50 sport kings on 15x10 chrome mod rims. Better built diamond plate toolbox. Aiwa cd player with JBL amp to two 6-1/2's and two 10" subs in boxes. NEW: Ford the best never rest floor mats (pretty sharp) Best mod to date: taking off the huge egr hood deflector.
Check out my truck at http://geocities.com/fattron/jb.html

Quick Reply: Please Explain about cherry bombs