Cat-Back--> Bassani or Flowmaster?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2000 | 02:07 AM
|
Question Cat-Back--> Bassani or Flowmaster?

My truck is a 2000 F150 XLT with 5.4 liter V8, 2 wheel drive extended cab. I'm askin advice from all of those who have installed an exhaust on their trucks. I am going to keep the same exhaust setup as on the stock truck, except the tail pipe will be a 3 inch instead of the factory size. I would extremely like the Bassani because it is stainless and is a very sturdy muffler. Bassani also has one of the best cat-backs out there in the market, but then again there is the nationally known Flowmaster. If i went this route I would go with a Flowmaster 40 with Delta Flow. I want power and sound, I realize the Bassani is quieter but is better built. On the other hand, the Flowmaster is louder and is more widely used. Help?

Old 06-05-2000 | 11:37 AM
Cool

I have what you describe - except mine is the 50-series Deltaflow. The exhaust pipe from just behind the 'Y' to the front of the muffler remains the stock 2.5". Behind the muffler is 3" pipe exiting through a 3.5"x12" chrome tip. I don't notice any low-end torque loss - and maybe, just maybe, there is a gain at higher rpm. The sound is great. There is very little drone in the cab.

I'm not sure of the price of the Bassani, but I had a speed shop install mine. They cut, bent and welded for only $145.00. Although stainless steel lasts forever (almost) - At $145.00 I can afford to replace the whole thing whenever it finally falls apart.

Go fer it...

Tom in Tacoma

------------------
1998 F150 XLT S/C 4.6L Auto, 3.55LS, 4X2, Moonlight Blue, all the factory bells & whistles except for leather seats.
  • Lund Deflector
  • Lund Premier Tonneau Cover
  • K&N Filter
  • Body-color painted Throttle Cover
  • Blue wire-looms
  • Pentaliner S/R
  • Window tint
  • Ford side-steps
  • Infiniti component speakers - front
  • Polk Audio speakers - back
  • Superchip (OH YEAH!!)
  • Flowmaster 50 Series 'Delta-Flow' w/ 3" pipe
  • Clear turn signal lenses
  • Next up - billet grill.

Tom in Tacoma

(Washington not Toyota)
Go check out http://communities.msn.com/SS97FordsPics for the second best website for F150's

Old 06-05-2000 | 07:50 PM
SpeedyGfan,
Did you loose any low end torque, or gain any high end power? I'm going to be towing, so I need a gain, and no loss. Also, is it very loud or is it civilized (sound clip)?
Last thing - how much did you pay for the Bassini?

Thanks!! (Sorry to be a pest)

Old 06-06-2000 | 12:28 AM
Cool

I would go with the Bassani. In fact I did. The Bassani is far superior in qulaity and has the best tip I have ever seen. Don't let the name quiet thunder confuse you it's not exactly quiet. It has a roar like thunder it's a real deep bass like sound and I love it. You are going to pay a little more but it will be worth it in the long run because stainless steel lasts forever I have pictures if you want to see it I got the kit for in front of the wheel.

------------------
98 F-150 s/c Lariat Sport-Side V8 4.6
Bassani Side exit exaust, K&N FIPK, Snug-Top Hard Lid,600 watt power acoustic amp,8 inch kicker substation, Royal Purple Synthetic

Old 06-06-2000 | 08:05 AM
I have the Bassani cat back system on my truck.Mine exits in the factory location behind the rear wheel. When I put it on I lost some low end power, so I replaced the rear pipe with a 2 1/2 inch pipe. whiched helped to restore the low end power.
With the 5.4 V8 you may be ok with the 3 inch pipe the system comes with.Two other options would be to just replace the muffler with a Bassani muffler, and use your stock tail pipe, or look at the Jardine system
http://www.jardineproducts.com/automotive/index.htm
I have heard a lot of good things about it, but it is not stainless steel.

------------------
1999 F150 4x4 4.6V8 regcab/shortbed
Oxford White with Wedgewood Blue two tone, with Blue Captains chairs
Bassani Cat Back, Superchip,WMS Velocity Tube with modified K&N filter.
Centerline Saber rims 17x8" with Firestone GTA 275/60hr-17 tires.

[This message has been edited by Don C (edited 06-06-2000).]

Old 06-06-2000 | 02:09 PM
I lost no low end torque in fact it feels like it improved. It could be because I have it exit before the wheel. As far as high power I didn't notice any difference. I paid like 300 something for my kit and 50 to have it installed. I have had it now for almost 2 years and I love the sound. As far as it being civilized I think it is. It takes some getting used to and you can hear it in the cab. You can hear it when you apply throttle and above 75mph you hear the hum of it. I don't have a sound clip but if you know how to do one I can probably do it because I have a digital camera that records sound.

------------------
98 F-150 S/C Lariat Sport-Side 4X2 V8 4.6
Bassani Side exit exaust, K&N FIPK, Snug-Top Hard Lid,600 watt Power Acoustic amp,8 inch Kicker substation, Royal Purple Synthetic, BFG 265/75/16 Mud Terrain

Old 06-06-2000 | 02:14 PM
Hey Don,
So you have 2 1/2 piping going to the cat?

Old 06-07-2000 | 05:43 PM
Speedygfan, ya I have 2 1/2 going to the cat.
I don't think I will have the Bassani on much longer, even with the smaller tail pipe that I had to have done myself, am still not real happy with the system.Actually I'm more upset with the lack of customer service with Bassani. I have been fighting with Bassani for 6 months.

Old 06-07-2000 | 06:09 PM
Don what problems have you been having?

Old 06-08-2000 | 07:21 PM
speedygfan
When I put the system I lost all my low end power. I called Bassani a dozen times or so, they never return my calls, and if I do reach someone they tell me they will se what they can do, but never hear from them again.
Finally I had to have a new tail pipe made myself. I have been asking them to make me a new tail pipe for six months. The Tail pipe I have on it now is the stock factory pipe attached to the front of the Bassani tail pipe.
For the cost of the Bassani system you would think they would stand behind there products, but I guess not.

Quick Reply: Cat-Back--> Bassani or Flowmaster?