loudest exhaust possible on a truck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2000 | 09:38 AM
Rest In Peace
From: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
He's only 16, let him learn the hard way. Check your local listings for where the cops live and roar up and down their street late at night. I am sure you'll find out if there are any pesky noise laws then.

Old 06-15-2000 | 09:50 AM
Leave the mufflers on and just drive down the road throwing cherry bombs out of the window. That way the police can't pull you over because your exhaust is too loud. Problem solved.

Old 06-15-2000 | 06:34 PM
OK, the kid's 16, lesee.

If you're on a budget (and what 16-yr-old isn't), get a pair of cherry bombs and let them exit underneath the truck. The noise will amaze you (and hopefully drive you nuts -- or turn you into a Harley rider for more).

But before you put those cherry bombs on, check out JC Whitney and get a couple of those cable-operated cutouts (aka 'dumps').

You can have lots of fun with them, and they close off pretty quickly when needed.

My buddy and I did the cutout thing on his 383 Dodge. We skipped school and went to Windsor. On the Queen's highway, we ran it so fast that we melted or shook the weld loose -- and the darned flapper door fell off.

Next day at school, I borrowed his car and did a burnout in front of the school. Cop's exact words (1966) were "Good afternoon, A little noisy, isn't it?" -- my first ticket. My first (mandatory) court appearance.

Have fun -- it only gets better.

------------------
Y2K™

Toreador Red, Keyless XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 4wDisc/ABS, 3.73LS, Skid, HD 7700# Towing, LT-245's on Chrome, Tube-Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, named: "Nick"

Old 06-16-2000 | 01:36 PM
Former Sponsor
Hey dellyman,

One other thought is this: load exhausts with young people behind the wheel make an *excellent* target for police to pull you over. Sad but true fact of life, so if you go with something really loud, be prepared to be pulled over much more often.

Hey, when I was 16, there was no such thing as "too loud", you were just "too old". Now that I'm "too old", I think most young males have to go thru a phase where they hear that exhaust pounding into the cabin, I did.

Good luck with whatever you do,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Info:https://www.f150online.com/rally2000/index.html

Old 06-16-2000 | 01:44 PM
I guess I usually equate too loud with too fast, dellyman. Just be safe. Regardless of how well you think you drive with that new permit, admit you have a lot to learn.
Be careful. Too many teens get killed every day. BTW, where are your parents? ARe they going to let you do this to the vehicle. Glad you don't live in my neighborhood or I would have to have words with your mom and dad. I am guessing this won't last long.
One more time... Be safe. We don't want to lose any member of this board, especially a young person.

Old 06-16-2000 | 03:28 PM
One last thought, If your state uses the points for tickets system, too many points- no driving. With your Suburban I would put on some Flowmasters or other type of turbo and I think you will be happier in the long run! I can totally relate to what you what to do, been there done that. But looking back the hassles weren't worth the effort. Besides no matter how cool your buddies think it sounds they are the first to drive by and laugh their @sses off when YOU get pulled over. Most of us are speaking from experience here and are try to save you a ton of trouble even though you drive a GM. On a side note loudest exhaust on any vehicle I ever drove, open headers on my 67 Camaro, one quick spin around the block after installing before putting rest of exhaust on. Took cops all of 2 minutes to show up after I got it back in the garage. "Did you happen to hear a jet pass through here?" "uh no sir." " Well if you happen to see the person who was flying the thing tell them that's a good way to get a free trip to court." " I will be sure to tell them that sir." " Have a nice day then." I'll sure try to!" Was over a week before I was brave enough to put the car back on the street, even with full exhaust. Remember, the long arm of the law is really pretty short!

[This message has been edited by ps398 (edited 06-16-2000).]

Old 06-16-2000 | 05:01 PM
hey all,
what's this about growing out of the loud exhaust phase? i'm 35 and have loved loud for the last 20 years of driving. anyway, go with the straights, if the folks will let you. newer trucks aren't much louder with straight pipes than the trucks with the quality cat-backs that never seem to fit right, and cost twice as much. save some dough, go straight.

Old 11-04-2002 | 12:23 PM
Hell all through my childhood my dad drove me around in 427 corvettes with side pipes, even when i was in a carseat. we'd go through the Mc D's drive thru and he's have to shut the things off. loudest *legal* exhaust ever (GM installed them at the factory! F U cops!) so it was no suprise that when i got my L, my dad and I put on a flowmaster to make it loud while I save up for the real killer, full bassani with longtubes. go with flowmaster 40 series, they sound the best on Chevys while still being legal. convince your parents it is for impoved fuel economy.

Old 11-04-2002 | 01:17 PM
remove cats and run 3 inch pipe into 8 inch cherry bombs and then run tailpipes out under the doors or out under the back bumper.
or straits dumped under teh cab--just 2.5 inch pipe from the headers dumped uner the cab wow that wuold be loud

Old 11-04-2002 | 01:26 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Smile

Thanks for digging this one up.
A lot of old names I haven't seen in a while.

Old 11-11-2002 | 12:50 PM
A great alternative to replacing your stock exhaust system is to just put an exhaust cutout somwhere along your existing system. You can open and close it as you please and gives you the best of both worlds.

I have one installed right after my y-pipe, which pretty much makes it open manifolds and is extremely loud (and obnoxious) but then I can plug it up and the exhaust goes through the whole system again.

This idea is a lot cheaper than all other alternatives I paid 30 bucks 35 bucks for the cutout and 40 to have them install. Would have been even cheaper on install, but they had to move my cat back just a couple inches to make room for the cutout.

Old 11-20-2002 | 09:54 PM
Originally posted by dellyman
thanks everyone for you reply's. I don't really have a choice on what car casue i just turned 16 so i don't have enough money to buy what i want. But, I would like to have like a 97 lightning. Haha in my dreams. thanks anyways.
I never knew they made a Lightning in 97
But
If you want loud.....BASSANI

Quick Reply: loudest exhaust possible on a truck?