New Exhaust Installed - Fantastic!!! (New Kid On The Block)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2000 | 09:27 PM
|
Talking New Exhaust Installed - Fantastic!!! (New Kid On The Block)

First thanks to the forum and all the participants here regarding exhaust systems. Second, to appreciate this info, fyi I restore muscle cars and am VERY VERY paticular about my machines.
Like many of you I read all the info here I could. I decided I did not want an overly loud obnoxious exhaust system because that is not what I like and it doesn't fit the profile/image of a loaded SuperCrew Lariat 4X4 (which I classify it as powerful elegance). After much investigation here, I decided on the Flowmaster Delta Flow 50 (keep reading the plot changes). Primarly because the good/bad message ratio was extremely positive. I know there a lot of proponents for the FM DF 40 as well, but a few mentioned that it was too loud (subjective I know) and they had replaced them. Also read too many complaints about the Gibson not being loud enough, etc.

Anyway, after arriving at the Midas muffler shop, the installer started talking about a new system that was better than the Flowmaster, and that he was installing them about 3 to 1 now over Flowmaster. I was thinking oh yea, sure thing - like most of us would. He showed me the numbers where the new system outflowed the FM and produced better hp and torque. He went on to describe that the sound was better, with a deeper tone. After much discussions and debate, I put him to the test. I suggested that we install them both and let me compare. He did.

We put the FM on, cranked her up, let her run at idle, and reved it up a bit. We then put on the new system, cranked her up, let her un at idle, and reved it up a bit. The new system sounded awesome and since it flowed better with hp and torque gains, I was sold! The system is the Ravin Performance Exhaust. I purchased the Z55 series which is comparible to the DF 50. The Ravin Z55 has a deeper, more masculine tone than the FM, without any of the FM bubble or gurgle. In addition, this muffler does not have any resonace in the cabin at all.

In addition, I have had SLP, Flowasters, Hooker, Dynomax, and others on my cars. And without a doubt, this is one of the best sounding exhaust systems I have ever heard. To me, it fits the image of the truck perfectly. I actually think Ford should have made this standard with the Screw If you are looking for a deep rich sound, not too loud but noticeable (with the walk softly carry a big stick sound) at idle and light throttle, that wicks it up a when under heavy throttle this is it. Have your muffler shop guys put both mufflers on for you and give it a test. I went with the single inlet and dual outlet side swept exits.

------------------
2001 F150 SuperCrew, 5.4 V8, 4X4, Amazon Green, loaded to the max, K&N Cold Air Induction, Ravin Performance Exhaust, Line-X.

Old 09-13-2000 | 09:36 AM
F150aGoGo

Congratulations on being able to find an exhaust system that satisfied your taste 150%. That's not an easy task.

I will be getting a new exhaust for my truck as soon as I finished with the tires and rims, and some light modification to the suspension, and changing the gears as well.

Enjoy your truck, the amazon is one of my favorite colors.

------------------
1998 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercab Flareside 5.4L in Oxford White/gold, ORP, Tow Package, 3.55 Gears.

Modifications: K&N FIPK, Stepshield door sill protectors, Performance Accesories 3" body lift and Lift Lips.

See photos at <A HREF="http://www.communicomgroup.com/jmtruck

" TARGET=_blank>www.communicomgroup.com/jmtruck

</A>

Old 09-14-2000 | 03:20 PM
|
Expect to pay aprox $250 or so for the whole setup.

I had my dual pipes, side swept, routed out the back behind the wheel. I wouldn't want them to discolor my wheels.

The Midas guy fabricated the pipes for me which I like because I had him put the ends exactly where I wanted them, and at the angle that I wanted (key to this is to go to a shop that is "friendly" so you can "work" with them). The guy that did the work was very proud of his exhaust knowlege and abilities (also important) and had pride in his work. This is really a pieace of cake for these shops. To my knowledge you can't get this customization with pre-fabs. On the Screw the rear of the bed width shortens and contours in the rear with the lines of the bed. I had the pipes cut to blend in with the contour of the body. I have LA Muffler stainless angle cuts on them. I will try to take a shot and post.

------------------
2001 F150 SuperCrew, 5.4 V8, 4X4, Amazon Green, loaded to the max, K&N Cold Air Induction, Ravin Performance Exhaust, Line-X.

Old 09-15-2000 | 12:15 AM
Question

F150agogo: I'm thinking about a Ravin muffler as well, and have a couple questions:
1. How much did Midas charge you for the system , total?
2. How are the dual outlet pipes routed, out the rear? I have a 97 S/C Lariat 5.4 and would like dual outlets out the side in front of the wheel. Midas said they would have to fabricate the pipes.
3. Were your outlet pipes fabricated or pre-bent?
4. What kind of tips do you have? Some pics would be great.

Thanks.

Old 09-16-2000 | 09:54 PM
F150agogo: DO you have address/phone number/website info on Ravin Exhaust. C'mon man, let us know. I've been looking to replace my Magna-Flow & this might be it.

Thanks
Mark

Old 09-17-2000 | 01:36 PM
|
goravin.com

------------------

Old 09-24-2000 | 12:18 AM
doorslammer69:

I have been considering the Magnaflow for my 2000 F150 with 5.4l. I had a Magnaflow single in dual out on a competitor make truck and really liked it. Have not done any exhaust mods on Fords so I don't know if the sound or drone will be any different.

Why didn't you like the Magnaflows on your Ford? Thanks in advance for the info.

Old 09-24-2000 | 10:16 AM
F150aGoGo

Does the Midas shop fabricated your system in mandrel bents?

Now that you have spent more miles with your truck and new exhaust, what about any drone, from idle to red line or at any speed?

Thanks in advance.

------------------
1998 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercab Flareside 5.4L in Oxford White/gold, ORP, Tow Package, 3.55 Gears.

Modifications: K&N FIPK, Stepshield door sill protectors, Performance Accesories 3" body lift and Lift Lips.

See photos at http://www.communicomgroup.com/jmtruck

[This message has been edited by JMTruck (edited 09-24-2000).]

Quick Reply: New Exhaust Installed - Fantastic!!! (New Kid On The Block)