Magnaflow 15749

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004 | 01:00 PM
|
Question Magnaflow 15749

I have a single inlet / dual outlet with rear exit under bumper installed on a 2002 Supercrew shortbed.
Did anyone have trouble with their install?
My install did not go well at all with three installers.
Had to bend muffler bracket,threaded hangers,bend drivers side tailpipe and torch enough of the spare tire plate stop for clearance issues.

The sound is excellent but fit is poor.

Old 12-02-2004 | 12:37 PM
I installed this same system on my f150. The only real problem I have is that the passenger side exhaust pipe does not come out straight. It is almost like they didn't bend one of the pipes enough. The system clears the spare tire and the shocks O.K. though.

Old 12-06-2004 | 09:40 PM
My install was flawless! Best exhaust system I ever bought! All you have to do is take the time to get underneath the truck and adjust it. It can be tricky and time consuming, but it can be done!! Sounds like your installer is a hack!

Old 12-07-2004 | 07:29 AM
APT
Jabez, You are the first I've heard of with install problems of this system. I suspect the first installer messed it up and the other two tried to "fix" it.

Old 12-07-2004 | 12:39 PM
How does this exhaust sound? Is it very loud in the cab at cruising speed? I am looking at this one or the siso with a 4" tip. It was described like the dual outlet is a little louder. Just curious, i need to wake up my exhaust a little, but i don't want to scare little children away (been there, done that, got the t-shirt)

Old 12-07-2004 | 01:28 PM
I had no trouble with my installation (Magnaflow SI/DO) at the shop. Sounds to me that someone didn't know what he was doing or didn't have much experience?

Uncle Jesse as far as SI/SO vs. SI/DO sound goes, I beg to differ. The dual outlets may not be that much, if any, louder, but to me it "balances" the sound. I had a SI/SO Magnaflow, and now have a SI/DO Magnaflow, same size muffler and all, and can tell a difference in sound quality. My exit points are also angled at the corners of the bumper, not straight out the back.

Old 12-07-2004 | 04:44 PM
Uncle Jesse as far as SI/SO vs. SI/DO sound goes, I beg to differ. The dual outlets may not be that much, if any, louder, but to me it "balances" the sound. I had a SI/SO Magnaflow, and now have a SI/DO Magnaflow, same size muffler and all, and can tell a difference in sound quality. My exit points are also angled at the corners of the bumper, not straight out the back. [/B][/QUOTE]

That's exactly what i want to do, angle it so it exits out the rear sides, not straight out. How difficult was this to do? Did you just bend the pipes they supplied with the kit, or did you have to bend new pipe? I do have access to a mandrel bending machine (gotta love friends with metal fabricating shops)
Do you have any pics of it?

Old 12-07-2004 | 05:03 PM
I ordered the muffler and tips online, and took them to the muffler shop. I didn't have a "kit" so to speak. They installed the system using their pipe and bending it themselves. I will try to take some pictures and get them on here. I have to borrow a digital camera since I don't own one myself.

Old 12-07-2004 | 05:08 PM
That's cool. Thanks!

Old 12-25-2004 | 07:29 PM
My install of the same system looks great and the truck is more responsive in low and top end torque, however I've lost gas mileage after this install. Iv'e spoken with magnaflow and was told that after 300 to a 1000 miles I should see the mileage improve, or reset the ECU by removing negative battery ( done this 3 time so far ) thus allowing new mod to be relearned as well as driven conditions. It is still using gas badly even after the 3 resets and 1000 miles since install, Any one else had same problems?

Last edited by Jah_Rankin; 12-26-2004 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-27-2004 | 01:12 PM
Are you just driving with a heavier foot to hear the exhaust? I know some people (me) did that at first.. Other than that, i have'nt heard of that being a problem..

Old 12-27-2004 | 10:06 PM
I spoke with Mike Troyer today (very knowledgeable) who advised me that in this area, Maryland, it's normal to see a decline in the efficiency of gasoline due to the winterizing products that are used from say around Nov thru Mar. So with that being said I feel more assured that my truck is in good working order.

Old 01-20-2005 | 03:35 PM
Does anybody know what the part number is for just the muffler in the 15749 kit? I also like this system but like a few others would prefer the exits to be at the corners of the truck. Therefore, I will probably buy muffler and tips online and have exhaust shop make the pipe.

Old 01-21-2005 | 03:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Just got my 15749 installed. Love the sound, exactly what I was looking for. I still have to tweak it a little, the passenger side tip is angled a little inward, apparently the pipe that goes over the axle was bent a little wrong. Nothing a sunday afternoon can't fix....

Old 01-31-2005 | 11:46 AM
I am preparing to order the 15749 for a 2003 Super Crew, 5.4L. Is the installation easy enough to do this with simple tools, or does it require a shop to install it? I read a thread somewhere that the hangers on the Screw were in different locations and may require some welding... is that necessary?

Bill

Quick Reply: Magnaflow 15749