Borla, Pros and Cons, need advice quick!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2001 | 10:29 PM
|
Thumbs up Borla, Pros and Cons, need advice quick!!!

im about going to buy an exhaust system within this month.I really, realy like Borla, and i've heard a lot of good thing about Borla.But im real picky and i need more info and more advice.So please help any info would really be appreciated.Give me performance info and where i could get the best price.And how does it compare with other exhaust systems.and i also need about people that have the systems, and how they like it .

Old 03-08-2001 | 12:00 AM
Borla is the way to go if you have the money. But like i said that is if you have about 6 or 7 hundred dollars. Borla will give you about an extra 10 to 15 hp.

Old 03-08-2001 | 02:06 AM
Try calling Truck Performance Center at 1-800-719-8100 or RV Performance at 1-800-875-2112 and get prices on the Borla kit you want. The are both located in CA and will try and beat each others price. I called evey dealer that advertised Borlas in Truckin magazine and these two shops where the lowest priced and will wheel and deal with you. Truck performance has the Borlas on sale from $365-$540 depending on what system you want and free shipping. I'd still try and haggle with them. They will go lower.

[This message has been edited by V10 man (edited 03-08-2001).]

Old 03-08-2001 | 03:30 AM
Banned
Check out a recent edition of MM&FF mag. They put a full Borla system on a Lightning and lost about 3hp....Long tubes are the only way to go...Mike, Lightning Performance

Old 03-08-2001 | 11:42 PM
|
Thumbs up

Thanks a lot guys.But keep it coming.Thanks a lot V-10 im going to give it a try to see how low they can go...lol.But anyways keep the info coming.I have money to spend.But im willing to go with something that will give me the bang for the buck.I like Borla but i've also heard good things about Gibson and FM, oh yeah and how about K&N Exhaust system, how good is that?.I'm a little undecided.I'm also fairly new to this.My truck is stock so far except for a tool box,bedliner, bug deflector and window deflectors.Hey and how is the installation on one of these systems.Can anyone do it?

Old 03-09-2001 | 12:49 AM
I have a borla dual outlet thet I ordered from truck performance.com. I paid 510 with free shipping. The Borla sounds better than stock but isnt as loud as I had hoped for. I wish I had saved a few hundred bucks and went with flowmaster or a ravin muffler. As for as performance it feels like I have lost low end power.

Old 03-09-2001 | 10:31 AM
Smile

Hi Steel Breez,

I purchased Borla from Truck Performance also and installed it myself. The only major issue with installation is getting the stock exhaust off (I used a reciprocating saw). Once the stock muffler and exhaust is out of the way the rest is easy. You can definitely do it yourself.

I bought Borla first and foremost because of quality, their T-304 Stainless steel will not rust. I plan on keeping my truck for a long time (10+ years) and don't want to mess around with a new exhaust a few years down the road. I love the sound - not to loud and not to soft, the looks are awesome, and the increased HP is really nice. I do not feel a low end loss.

Your decision is important, so take your time. Asking questions here is a wise step in your decision process.

------------------
1999 F-150 XLT Supercab Longbed
Black/Silver, Dark graphite interior
5.4L Automatic

Additions:
* Ford molded mud flaps from local Ford dealer
* Lund Trident bug deflector from carparts.com
* Fumoto drain plug valve from fumotovalve.com

Mods:
* Superchip from Performance Products (Mike T.)
* Borla split rear exhaust from truckperformance.com
* Airaid FIPK from f150online
* Poweraid from f150online

Mods coming soon:
* JBA Headers (Jet-Black coated) from f150online

Old 03-13-2001 | 01:52 AM
|
Thanks a lot guy for all the info.But lets not let the thread die.Keep the info coming.oh yeah,what about the K&N exhaust system.Has anyone bought and if so how is the performance.Do you feel a low end torque loss.I've shopping around and the lowest a Borla system goes is about $540.Has anyone gotten it for lower price.

Old 03-13-2001 | 10:27 PM
Cool

Steel Breez, save your money for another mod. i hava had 2 F150 and experimented a lot with exhaust systems. i've had FM, Gibson and Jardine. i just installed Z55 ravin muffler only. let me tell you that Z55 is the way to go. Nice sound, pick up in performance and no loss of low end. the muffler and installation were only $150.00. best bang for the buck i have spent in the last few years. I recomend you get the Ravin and spend some money on an Air Force One air intake. i hope this helps.

------------------
Black 2001 Supercrew Lariat,
2w.d.
lowered 2" front
4" back
svt rims
265/60/18 avs yokohamas,
2 KC daylighters.
Air Force one.
Ravin Z55

FUTURE MODS: Harley Davidson front bumper assy.

Old 03-14-2001 | 03:55 PM
I just installed a K&N exhaust system on my truck about a week and a half ago; I love it!! I installed it in less than an hour (and I'm no mechanic). The sound is great; it is actually a ittle louder than I expected for a single outlet system. The tip looks real nice. There is a very noticeable power increase, especially at about 2800rpm and up. I don't feel any loss of low end power or torque. They say it works with their FIPK system, but I don't know if it really affects the performance of the exhaust. Truckperformance.com seems to be the cheapest at about $450. I would highly recommend it!!

------------------
'97 F-150XLT extra-cab w/ 4.6L Windsor and auto.
Superchip!
K&N filtercharger
Jett underdrive pulley
mild shift kit
K&N cat-back exhaust
Future plans:
4.6 to 5.4PI head swap
Dynomax headers
supercharger (haven't decided which one, yet)

Old 03-20-2001 | 06:27 PM
Quick question to DeaconDoug.
Seems like I am going the same direction in my mods.
AirRaid / PowerAId / soon to have chip...
Borla on the way from "truckperformance.com"
I definitly notices HP increase with Poweraid, then again with AirRaid...More torque espesially.
YET...I definetly noticed a loss of lowend speed/or punch?
Wheras much gained at WOT.

Q: did you install all mods at same time?
Q: Did superchip make up for any other seeming deficiency?
Q: if installed seperately, did you notice the same continued step-up in performance?

Any info would be appreciated.
thanks.

Old 03-20-2001 | 06:37 PM
Steel Breez...Just ordered a BORLA for my Screw, 2001. Cost? 399.00 plus tax, and free shipping...cool deal!
Down side, just informed today, that it was 2-3 weeks out? when they told me it was "in stock".

Question for anybody:
I just checked out Flow Master set-up at local Muff shop, 389.00 out the door installed. Delta 50 series, with dual out the back any way I want it! (ie... split out both sides behind the rear tires.

"Should I stay"... with my pending BORLA...
"Or should I go"...with Flowmaster sys???

any input would be appreciated!

Old 03-21-2001 | 11:11 AM
|
Another reason i really want Borla is that here in my hometown of Edinburg,Tx.No one has Borla, everyone has FM.You kind of get tired of getting what everyone else has and sounding like everyone else.Im also looking at the Ravin and at the K&N.I want a Borla but the lowest i've found is at truck performance for $540 Dual catback.I really don't mind spending the money but then again i would like to save myself some cash if i could.Once again thanks to everyone who has replied to the thread and anyone else that does.

Old 03-21-2001 | 11:37 AM
Question

veloci: I think your post went un-noticed. I am curious about the Ravin Z55. Why not the Z33? Did you use existing stock pipes or did you have aftermarket cat-bak pipes and just replace the muffler.
I like your thinking, the point is to free up the flow while maintain the proper back pressure.
All Borla systems are engineered for exactly this (their testing methods are outstanding, much better than back-yard bob and his "stainless" exhaust examples).
Just curious...

------------------
'99 Ford F-150 Lariat, 4WD, SCab, ORP, LS/3.73, Tow Pkg, 5.4L
* Superchip
* K&N FIPK GEN II
'99 Chrysler 300M, PHP, Sunroof, Premium Infinity, 3.5L
* Borla Cat-Bak
* K&N Filtercharger
www.atlantagamerz.com
www.f150online.com
www.300mclub.org

Old 03-29-2001 | 12:47 AM
|
Hey guys thanks a lot for the info.How loud is Ravin and how much does the whole catback exhaust system cost.I just found out a local Mida's and im going to go this week to see what options they have.Oh yeah has anyone run with straight pipes.How does that sound.And is their any power loss.I call truckperformance.But they don't have the Borla system in stock.They say the earlier they could get it to me would be in 2-3 weeks.

Quick Reply: Borla, Pros and Cons, need advice quick!!!