Please explain for me the "Y" pipe thing.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2001 | 06:36 AM
|
Question Please explain for me the "Y" pipe thing.

I have been reading over multiple threads and I am just not getting what this "Y" pipe thing is about . I am up here in Alaska and I have to pass emmision test. I have a 2001 Screw with the 5.4L. I want more horses. I have the Superchip & K&N FIPK. I can't seem to decide on the "best" exhaust system for increased hp. Will changing the "Y" pipe and than adding a Gibson, Ravin, Borla etc. help the most, or do I go with just an exhaust system?

I know nothing about exhaust systems and thank everyone for their responses,
Crewie

Old 04-08-2001 | 12:06 AM
Cool

Crewie, check out my thread "nice little 4.6L mod" on this board and you will see some pictures of a Y pipe on a 4.6L. I understand your 5.4L is a little more effecient but our engines respond well to opening up the intakes and exhausts. As far as which exhaust, just read on because there is tons of info on this subject. Good Luck!

------------------
"The Beast" 98 White 4.6 Triton STX (It's not an STX anymore) Flairside,Class III hitch.
Appearance Mods: Blue Cobra Stripes, Euro Lid by Astro, Bed Rug, Fiero Wing, Air Dam,Ground Force 2-4 Drop,Custom MB Phantom Wheels,clear corner lenses,monster battery terminals.

Stereo Mods: MTX Dual Sub Box with 2 10 inch Polks, 4 Polk Speakers, MTX 102 Amp with a Pioneer FH-P4400 CD, Cassette Head Unit

Performance Mods: 96 Crown Victoria Electric Fan Mod, Custom Programmed Super Chip,BBK 75mm TB, Pro M 80mm MAF,Custom Welded Powder Coated Intake Tube,Pillar Pod w/ boost and trans temp,Jacobs DIS Ignition,Art Carr 2400 Stall Performance Transmission,4:10 gears with Auburn Pro Limited Slip,TA Performance Rear End Girdle, Cal Trac Traction Bars, Jet coated JBA stainless headers, custom Y pipe after the Cats, Magna Flow Muffler with Stainless Duals and of course fully Blown Magnacharger!

http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4293450711

[This message has been edited by Flats Man (edited 04-07-2001).]

Quick Reply: Please explain for me the "Y" pipe thing.