Nice Little 4.6L Exhaust Mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2001 | 08:46 PM
max,

me again, i picked your brain once in the past before i got my gibson ss. originally when you posted i think you said that the 2.5 inch diameter pipe would be fine if the truck is pumping under 300 h.p. does that mean that switching the y-pipe out would make no difference for me since i am well under 300 horse? if not, i would like to do this. your above post said you found these y-pipes from a couple of different vendors.

was this online, or local. i am now thinking about making this change, headers possibly somewhere farther down the road.

i am not quite sure where to look online for something like this. is it as simple as finding a vendor and plugging in my year/make/model info and finding the right pipe?? any info you can give would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

------------------
mr k
_ _ ________________ _ _
1999 f150 xlt ex-cab 4x4
4.6 triton v8
5 speed manual
3:55 rear
towing package
k&n f.i.p.k.
gibson ss swept side
AR OutlawII's/Michelin LTX M/S 265/70/16

[This message has been edited by billycouldride (edited 04-06-2001).]

Old 04-07-2001 | 03:30 AM
|
Cool

Max, most good muffler shops should be able to fix you up and the cost is very reasonable for the mod. Good luck

Old 04-07-2001 | 11:30 AM
Question

billycouldride- I've seen the 3"exit Y-pipe from Flowmaster, Magnaflow, and Walker. Being under 300HP, you can still get smoother flow from the improved design and see additional top end flow. They are a universal fit product. The FM would be purchased at a HP vendor like Jegs or Summit. The Walker would be and order from an auto parts store. Here's 2 exact ones www.magnaflow.com/03hardware.htm (p#10778) www.flowmastermufflers.com/fmtest/DOCS/SET.html (p#250300A) If this site acts up, scroll the "next page" at the bottom, it's on one of the last pages.
Flats Man- thanks for the information, but I've already done the mod, great information and pics.

[This message has been edited by max mitchell (edited 04-07-2001).]

Old 04-07-2001 | 07:48 PM
max,

thanks once again. just ordered the magnaflow y-pipe from mofugas.com.

it was around thirty bucks with shipping, the only thing was i could not find if this piece was stainless or not. looked through the magnflow page as well and i did not see info listed on pipe materials, just mufflers.

going to pull a local installer off of the magnaflow page as well to have the pipe work done/welded, they had 2 listed in my town.

i really appreciate the part#'s, that helped alot.

thanks

------------------
mr k
_ _ ________________ _ _
1999 f150 xlt ex-cab 4x4
4.6 triton v8
5 speed manual
towing package
k&n f.i.p.k.
gibson ss swept side

Old 04-07-2001 | 09:47 PM
Cool

You're more than welcome!! Please, keep us updated on your evaluation of it.

Old 04-08-2001 | 12:40 AM
Talking

Uh Oh! Wonder what that could be..New heads? L motor? 5.4 swap? I'm dying here,what is it???? LOL,,,,98

I am ordering my Lightning headlights in the next couple of days,hopefully&(crossed fingers)

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
Yokahama AVS/ST's,,Junk
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Clear front corners
Stillen Quad light air dam,Sweet!!
Euro taillights
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,and Soundstream P203e amplifier//Single 10" sub
Viper alarm
On the way/wheels,tires, etc..etc.......
the monochromatic boogie is done,cool!.
Come see my new pictures@ www.my-f150.com

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

Old 04-10-2001 | 02:15 PM
max,

and to every one else who knows/or cares. in my emails to the co that i attempted to get my y -pipe from i found that they do not have one in stainless. they told me that magnflow only would make stainless if i ordered 50 or more.

i have made some calls, and currently have a shop in new jersey looking to see if they can get me the y in stainless. i am a little nervous about taking out the pipe and replacing it with something that wont last too long. i know there is a alot of moisture generated in my exhaust and the road salt here in jersey i'm sure doesnt help too much either.

have any of you guys had this long enough to run into problems with rust? the flowmaster is aluminumized steel. i am still hoping to find a solid stainless one somewhere before i have to go with one that isnt.

maybe i am splitting hairs, maybe not, but i want to make sure before i have something welded in place.

------------------
mr k
_ _ ________________ _ _
1999 f150 xlt ex-cab 4x4
4.6 triton v8
5 speed manual
towing package
k&n f.i.p.k.
gibson ss swept side

Old 04-10-2001 | 07:32 PM
Cool

All 3 of the ones that I've seen are aluminized steel. I can understand why you would have a concern about it being your only non-SS part. All of the exhaust pieces that interested me were aluminized steel. I have not found any SS Y-pipes except for the Bassani complete forward setup. Their website doesn't list pipe sizes or many late model applications.

Old 04-11-2001 | 04:12 PM
Billy, most rust out problems are from the muffler back, the biggest culprit being H2O which doesn't evaporate from heat in the system, usually from short runs. The Y pipe is directly behind catalitic converters and gets plenty of heat, even on short runs. The Y pipe should last as long as the lead pipes from the cats. Only other reason I would worry is if they salt the roads in your part of the country or you do a lot of beach driving.

------------------
98 Nascar Edition, Superchip, Airaid, Flowmaster 70 series, bedliner, in bed tool box, Profile bug deflector and window vents, Class III receiver hitch.

Old 04-11-2001 | 06:13 PM
thanks johnny,

they salt the crap out of the roads here. i could never bring myself to drive the truck on sand, but god its tempting as hell (we go to the outer banks ever year.

i just keep picturing all the greased parts of my truck with millions of little particles of sand stuck in it wearing everything down.

going to mull this over tonight and then make my purchase tomorrow.

again thanks.

------------------
mr k
_ _ ________________ _ _
1999 f150 xlt ex-cab 4x4
4.6 triton v8
5 speed manual
towing package
k&n f.i.p.k.
gibson ss swept side

Old 04-11-2001 | 08:15 PM
|
Cool

I should have some new dyno numbers for you soon. The only mods effecting HP since the last dyno, are the Y pipe and electric fan. It is a little warmer now so that will factor in the results. I am going on the 21st.

Old 04-12-2001 | 12:23 AM

striking out all over the place, spoke to several nice people at all places, except borla, spoke to them too but they were jerks. they actually hung up while i was still talking to them.

found one shop that will make me a stainless pipe, 18 inch long y pipe. cost is alot higher than the 'stock' aluminum pieces i saw.

the custom made will be 84.95 + shipping.
going to measure under the truck to see how that would fit in space wise tonight, and am going to continue poking around online to find one ready made.

why dont they make these stainless for the trucks. these people sell stainless mufflers, but not the pipes. i have removed enough rusty exhaust pipes on previous vehicles to know i dont want to have to do it again. i dont get it.

------------------
mr k
_ _ ________________ _ _
1999 f150 xlt ex-cab 4x4
4.6 triton v8
5 speed manual
towing package
k&n f.i.p.k.
gibson ss swept side

Old 04-12-2001 | 10:29 AM

ordered the pipe custom stainless from a shop in pennsylvania.

should have it by early next week, then the install.

will let every know how i make out.

Old 04-15-2001 | 11:40 AM
Cool

The Cal-Tracs should give a few HP,too.
More power to the wheels without the axle twist I'm on the visual and int. sounds kick for now. Geez,I just realized I haven't done any performance mods since the chip,,,a year ago!! Man I'm slipping,,,,,,,98

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
Yokahama AVS/ST's,,too noisy
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Clear front corners
Grillcraft grill insert
Speedglo gauges w/carbon fiber overlay,might paint it black
Stillen Quad light air dam,Sweet!!
Euro taillights
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,and Soundstream P203e amplifier//Single 10" sub
Viper alarm
On the way/wheels,tires, etc..etc.......
the monochromatic boogie is done,cool!.
Come see my new pictures@ www.my-f150.com

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

Old 04-17-2001 | 01:34 PM
flats man

got a question for you now. i was looking at the pictures you posted of your install.

it looks like the pipes installed on your truck were mandrel bent, are they stainless also? i have called two shops so far, neither mandrel bends or work in stainless.

where did you have your work done (was it a chain). i have stayed away from midas shops but will go to one if they can do this for me.

please let me know.

thanks.

------------------
mr k
_ _ ________________ _ _
1999 f150 xlt ex-cab 4x4
4.6 triton v8
5 speed manual
towing package
k&n f.i.p.k.
gibson ss swept side