Nice Little 4.6L Exhaust Mod

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2001, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Nice Little 4.6L Exhaust Mod

The left bank on our 4.6L's exhaust pipe comes into the right exhaust pipe at almost a 60 degree angle which creates bad scavaging from the left bank and some blockage for the right bank. Probably no big deal until you get your blower. This is a picture of my latest exhaust mod which brings both banks into a custom Y pipe for better flow into the Magnaflow Muffler. The pipe on the 5.4 is more efficient and the bends are better, or so I was told. Anyway, this is a relative inexpensive mod we can all do to our existing systems which will help them flow better after the cats.

------------------
"The Beast" 98 White 4.6 Triton STX (It's not an STX anymore) Flairside,Class III hitch, Blue Cobra Stripes, Euro Lid by Astro, Bed Rug, Fiero Wing, Air Dam,Ground Force 2-4 Drop,Custom MB Phantom Wheels,clear corner lenses,monster battery terminals,MTX Sub Box with 2 10 inch Polk Subs, 4 Plok Speakers, MTX 102 Amp with Pioneer FH-P4400 CD Cassette Head Unit,Custom Programmed Super Chip,BBK 75mm TB, Pro M 80mm MAF,Pillar Pod w/ boost and trans temp,Jacobs DIS Ignition,Art Carr 2000-2400 stall transmission,4:10 gears,custom rear end housing, custom intake tube, Jet coated JBA stainless headers, custom Y pipe after the Cats, Magna Flow Muffler with Stainless Duals and of course fully Blown by Magnacharger!

http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4293450711

[This message has been edited by Flats Man (edited 02-11-2001).]

Old 02-11-2001, 10:19 PM
Why not true duals with a crossover, or X pipe? What you've done, "no insult intended", seems like a waste of money...Mark

sundayniagara@hotmail.com

Old 02-12-2001, 07:54 AM
Cool

You make a good point. When I went back to this shop It was my intention to install a dual in dual out Magnaflow to reduce restriction as well as modify the after cat pipes. This is a pretty reputable shop and they told me I would be wasting money to do that. What I tried to offer in the post was an improvement to the pipe after the cats and before the muffler. Look under a stock 4.6 and you will see what I changed.

Old 02-12-2001, 09:59 AM
Thumbs up

Replacing the Y is a good idea for several reasons: The factory Y reduces the driver's side pipe down to 2.25" before it hits the Y, the angle of entry is not conducive to ultimate flow, and the single 2.5" exit limits everything thereafter (most of the cat-back systems are 3" and fed by 2.5" does nothing more than 2.5" output values).

------------------
2000 F-150 XL, RC, LB, 5.4L, 4R70W, 3.55LS,
Class III tow, Payload #3, & Convenience pkgs.,
4-wheel disc/ABS, Chestnut/Parchment 40/60,
Ford bedliner w/Paintsaver & gas/wheel/spare locks,
K&N F.I.P.K. w/Outwears pre-filter, Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back w/ 3" Y-pipe,
Hellwig front & rear anti-sway bars, Rancho RS 9000s,
Mobil 1, K&N oil filter.

Old 02-12-2001, 07:33 PM
Thumbs up

Your Welcome !! I've found several Y's from Magnaflow, Flowmaster, and Dynomax. I suggested several times in previous posts that 3" systems or single in/dual outs do nothing more (if fed by [1]2.5" pipe), and I've only had negative responses, so, I stopped. It seemed alot of people do not understand that the most forward restriction limits everything from there on.

Old 02-13-2001, 12:58 AM
Cool

Thanks for your reply Max. Most of the guys and girls on our board have the single in dual out exhaust and, as you said so well, the factory pipes, especially on the 4.6L, are less than efficient. I thought it would be worth passing on to the group.

Old 02-13-2001, 04:36 AM
Max & Flats Man,

Good point. I've often wondered if that is the reason so many companies go with large tubing on cat back systems. This would help ensure that the muffler itself was the only restriction in the system.

By making system this way, they could ensure that the "weak link" is the factory plumbing forward of their cat-back.

It's surprising that more companies don't offer performance "Y pipes" for trucks.

Old 03-09-2001, 02:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Hey Flats Man,
haven't seen you in awhile,have you hit 300 at the rear wheels yet My truck is still the same as when you saw it. I'm considering a wheel and tire purchase in the near future,though.

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
Yokahama AVS/ST's
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Clear front corners
Stillen Quad light air dam,Sweet!!
Euro taillights
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
[b]Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper alarm
On the way/wheels,tires, etc..etc.......
the monochromatic boogie is done,cool!.
Come see my new pictures@ www.my-f150.com

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

Old 03-09-2001, 07:33 AM
I just caught you over on the other thread and your truck is looking great. The only mods I have made since you drove the truck are the exhaust mod in this thread and the Auburn Pro LS. Now when I break the tires loose, instead of breaking left or right, it goes straight! It still breaks loose going into second! My last dyno was 256.5 RWHP or about 320 at the fly wheel. I have a little wheel hop, even with the Pro so I am installing a set of Cal Tracs very soon. Next time out, I still have some of that German beer!

Old 03-09-2001, 10:32 AM
Talking

I hope we get out that way again,but that was the third time the show has been there. Maybe it will go there again in another year or so,I hope. But not in the winter,kinda sucked being in Florida with a 40 to 50 degree temp. average, BRRRR!! Glad it goes straight when you hit the gas,that was a little hairy,LOL. Did the bigger tires help you out in the traction dept.? I've been wanting to do something to help out the traction on mine,with the open differential the right rear breaks loose easily.,,,,98

------------------
Yokahama AVS/ST's
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Clear front corners
Euro taillights
[b]Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper alarm

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

Old 03-23-2001, 10:09 PM
Cool

I took a better picture of the Y pipe. If compared to the stock 4.6L pipe, this is a big improvement!

Old 03-24-2001, 08:13 AM
Exclamation

Hey Flatsman, a little of topic here but I was looking for some "real" info on that magna-supercharger. I have checked with a few shops over here in Orlando but they only do vortech's. I am really interested in this mod or maybe upgrading to a Lightning. I was at the dealer yesterday and I can get a new one (2001) on thier A Plan prices at just under 28k......not bad but I would rather keep my truck as I enjoy modifying it! More fun that way I think?! Any info you could e-mail me would be cool!
murray@courteouscom.com

Murray......

------------------
My Truck:
2000 Flareside EC/SB 4.6 4X2-Harvest Gold
Sliding rear window
Class III Towing Package
Ford Bedliner
Modifacations
Airaid FIPK/w K&N filter
Gibson Exhaust-duals/w tips
Superchip
Factory bedliner
Westin nerf bars-PowderBlk
Lund vent shades, bug shield
V-Tech tail light covers (painted to match)
Mirror Covers (painted to match)
Factory street flares (painted to match)
Factory grill w/honeycomb insert
Clear Corners
Tinted Windows

Future Mods/Wish List
Some kind of aftermarket rims
Leer Snug lid
See my Truck: http://www.f150world.com/trippn/

Old 03-24-2001, 04:52 PM
Cool

Trippn-My advice at this point would be to go for the Lightning. I too enjoy modifying things and putting my personal touch on things but there is no way you will build Lightning performance with the 4.6L without some huge engine mods beyond the supercharger. With all my performance mods, I am still running about 100 RWHP below a litely modded Lightning. I see you have an Extend Cab, and if you need the room, then a supercharger would be the way to go for you. If you are going to SC your truck I would only consider Magnacharger! Crash and Mudder installed mine in Texas last summer and it has been pure trouble free pleasure. Visit my zing site for some views of the Magnacharger and you will find some dyno info to give you an idea of what to expect performance wise. I will be away from my computer for a while so I won't be able to answer you e-mail after tomorrow but drop me a line at fredrglenn@cs.com and I will get back to you when I can. Good luck!

Old 03-31-2001, 07:38 PM
Talking

Hey Flats Man,
I just noticed your driveshaft being a rusty
steel looking unit. This has got me wondering,since mine is what looks to be an aluminum alloy one. The one on my truck also looks to be twice the diameter?
I guess it's a supercab thing? Don't know.
This also got me thinking that getting a custom made lightweight drive shaft could free up some more horses on the Beast. There are a few companies out there than can make them from your measurements,and it would be much lighter,and still as strong(or stronger) than the factory piece. Just a thought from a guy with alot of ideas,and not too much money to take advantage of them ,,,,,98

------------------
Yokahama AVS/ST's,,Junk
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Clear front corners
Euro taillights
Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,and Soundstream P203e amplifier//Single 10" sub
Viper alarm

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

[This message has been edited by 98SCREAMER (edited 03-31-2001).]

Old 04-06-2001, 03:08 PM
Cool

Screamer-that rusty drive shaft has been bothering me too. I will probably go aluminum a little later. I have a new surprize coming up soon!

Quick Reply: Nice Little 4.6L Exhaust Mod