Replace stock "Y" or go dual for more sound?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2001 | 11:45 PM
Cool

I will go over this one more time to help every body out.
I have a 2001 f150 4.6, i had a 40 series flowmaster installed and lost a little bottom power. About a month or so later i got a new Y pipe and had it installed. I not only regained the lost power in the bottom end, i also picked up a noticable gain in the mirange. As for exhaust pipe size it is 2.5 inches stock on all 97-01 trucks ( V8 ).
here is what i discovered when the stock Y was removed, the exhaust pipe comming from the left side to the Y is reduced down to two and a quarter inches before it is joined
at the Y. Thats not so bad, but once the stock Y was cut off the truck i was able to see how bad it realy was. The hole in the right side pipe is only about an inch and a half and the two and a quarter pipe is welded over that. so the left side exhaust pipe is actualy reduced down to an inch and a half. At least thats how it was on my truck. I went on a 235 mile trip after this was done, averaging 70 mph i got 18 mpg. I could`nt even get close to that before.
By the way this is a weld in part.
I hope this answers some of the questions about this modification, if there are any other questions just ask.

Larry.

Old 06-08-2001 | 12:55 AM
Does anyone have a link to some pics of the "Y" adapter replacement piece? Is this something that can be installed in the garage or is it better left to the pro's?

------------------
www.f150world.com/HouScrew
Truck Specifications: 2001 Ford F150 4X4 Lariat SuperCrew (Gen.I) Amazon Green w/Harvest Gold Trim, 5.4L V-8, HD Tow Package, Bed Extender, Moon roof, Captains Chairs(front only), full leather interior as well as standard features in Lariat package.

List of current modifications so far: Stagecoach bug guard,
Billit Grill,
Westin chrome nerf bars, front windows tinted, wood grain kit, AudioVox 6.5" flipdown TV and VCP(DVD soon to come), Sony M610 flipdown head unit, Code SureStart Remote Start and Alarm system.

Waiting to be installed: Sony 10 disc changer, AudioBahn 5 1/4 component system front and rear, 3 AudioBahn 8" subs, 2 AudioBahn Amps

Future Modifications: AirForce One FIPK, Chip enhancement(don't know which one yet), spray in bed liner, bed cover, dual exhaust sytem

Old 06-08-2001 | 09:08 AM
Thanks speeder, thats the info I was looking for. I was kinda confused because when looking at the Y, it looked like it was the same as the rest of the pipe.

Why would Ford engineers do that inside of the Y? is it to even the pressure from both sides of the engine?

------------------
2001 F150 XLT Supercab Flareside "Sport"
Black
Smittybilt step bars
puddle lamps
Ford logo brake light hitch cover

<A HREF="http://members.home.net/deep6blue" TARGET=_blank> </A><A HREF="http://www.empiremotorsports.com/Html's/Hitch%20Covers%20-%20Order%20Page%203.html" TARGET=_blank> </A>

Old 06-08-2001 | 05:08 PM
Question

Does anyone know if the V10 has this aswell? If so does this company make one for the V10 too?

------------------
2000 Black Excursion
4WD XLT V10 -Fully Loaded
-Volant Cold Air Intake
-Airaid T.B. Spacer

Old 06-08-2001 | 05:14 PM
SPEEDER

THANKS FOR THE INFO= THE3.73'S ARE GREAT I THINK THEY ARE PLENTY SINCE I DONT REALLY GET INTO THE RACE FROM LIGHT TO LIGHT STUFF.I GUESS IF YOU REALLY WANT TO DO THAT YOU MIGHT WANT 4.10'S BUT THE PRICE OF GAS IT'S NOT WORTH IT TO ME. I TRADED IN AN 90 F150 WITH ALL THE HOT ROD STUFF AND I REALLY LIKE THIS TRUCK MUCH BETTER. RIDES LIKE A CADDY. I THINK I WILL GO WITH THE RAVIN 55 AND CHANGE THE Y -PIPE THOUGH. JUST IN CASE I WANT TO DUST OFF A DODGE NOW AND THEN

------------------
99' F150 LARIAT WOOD DASH -5.4---3.73'S
EXCAB.
AIR FORCE ONE. www.f150world/las52/

Old 06-08-2001 | 10:42 PM
Cool

Hi deep6blue

I have no idea why ford uses such a poor designed Y pipe, it does`nt look that bad on the outside, but when its cut off the truck and you can see it from the inside what a piece of junk. I can only speak for my self as to the power and gas mileage i gained.I hope that everybody that does this mod has the same results as me.

EXCURS1ON === I have never looked at a V10 before, but if the exhaust pipe is two and a half inches it will work for you also

Hope this helps.

Larry

Quick Reply: Replace stock "Y" or go dual for more sound?