Y Pipe question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001 | 01:53 PM
|
Post Y Pipe question

I'm curious about this Y pipe. It seems like an inexpensive yet necessary mod. What about o2 sensors and that stuff? Will whoever install's it need to drill holes to mount o2's or do the o2's go in somewhere else. I have a 98 with the 5.4L. I was thinking of installing that Y pipe, and getting SIDO Raven Z-55 out each side, in front of the rear tires. Sound good?

Old 06-27-2001 | 02:42 PM
The exit out each side in front of the tires may be a difficult, if not impossible task using the Y. You would have to go straight from the drivers side pipe after the cat and then out. The gas tank could get in the way too. I think it's been done. But not too many of them.

I'm going to have this done soon (the Y that is). Only one sensor on mine needs to be moved. It's actually installed in the factory Y. I'm told it should be a pretty simple matter to move it forward a couple inches

------------------
1997 F150 4x4 XLT, SuperCab, Short Box, 5.4, Royal Blue/Silver, K&N, Gibson SS, LT265/75/16 Wild Country APT's, Hellwig Progressive Springs (LP-25)

Old 06-27-2001 | 03:14 PM
Lightbulb

Mitch...just to be clear, the O2 will actually need to be moved back, not forward. You'll want it behind (before) the "Y", yet after the CAT. (Assuming you have two sets of CATS as well.) Just thought I'd make sure.

-AR

------------------
2001 F-150 XLT 4x4 Off-Road, SuperCab, Flareside, Black[*] 4.6L Triton V8 HPI[*] 5 Speed / 3:55 Reg. Axle[*] Keyless[*] Premium Audio CD

Mods:[*] K&N Intake (Chopped Airbox)[*] Removed Elbow Silencer[*] Flowmaster "Y" Pipe[*] 3" Cat-Back (No Muffler, Turn-Down)[*] Cranked Torsion Bars[*] APC XENON PLASMA Super Whites[*] '01 "L" Taillights[*] Bugshield[*] Bedliner[*] Ventshades[*] Removed Mudflaps[*] "Light Argent" 4x4 Off-Road Decals

Audio:[*] Clarion 6675[*] Rockford Fosgate 5x7's[*] Rockford Fosgate G360A2 Punch Amp[*] JL 12W3-D2 (Ported)[*]Viper 500ESP Alarm

Build Date: 8/23/00 (Kansas City Plant)

Old 06-27-2001 | 07:31 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jackal:
Mitch...just to be clear, the O2 will actually need to be moved back, not forward. You'll want it behind (before) the "Y", yet after the CAT. (Assuming you have two sets of CATS as well.) Just thought I'd make sure.

-AR

</font>
I'm sure we are talking about the same direction, just using different terms or "facing" the other way? I mean to relocate towards the front of the truck. My sensor is placed about two inches past (towards the rear of the truck) the weld of the main pass side pipe to the stock Y. I want the new location to be about two inches "before" (front) that weld. It will still be after the last pass side cat, but before the actual Y starts.

I took it in today to ask my muffler guy if he would even consider doing it. He was busy and couldn't get it on the lift to look, but said, "no problem". I told him about the sensor and he just said "no problem either". Showed him the FM Y and he was impressed with it, but just couldn't give me an estimate until he can see under it. (it was pouring a$$ rain, so he didn't want to crawl under)

Thanks for the follow up Jackal

Old 06-28-2001 | 09:07 AM
Lightbulb

FYI, my shop charged me $50.

-AR

Old 06-28-2001 | 09:15 AM
Cool

I got lucky. Mine cost me a case of Bud Light. I have known the guys at the shop for years.

------------------
1998 ext cab 4x4 4.6 auto
K&N Gen11, Superchip, fiberglass tonneau cover
Borla cat-back exhaust

Quick Reply: Y Pipe question