Fuel consumption

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005 | 05:38 PM
Banned
the intake warming up has nothing to do with the intake temp sensor.... if thats what you are talking about... when i say intake, i dont mean "air intake" i mean the intake manifold... the intake air temp sensor only reads the temperature of the air coming through the filter... has nothing to do with whats going on after the throttle body.

Old 01-17-2005 | 10:22 PM
no

the intake air temperature sensor- is used to tell pcm how much fuel for the mix- i said nothing about the manifold- and in the the winter most gas is ethanol blended for less emissions- heck exxon is that way all year around thats why it has such a low btu rating,not to mention so is mobil

Old 01-18-2005 | 12:45 PM
APT
It takes about 500-1000 miles for the computer to learn your driving style and adjust the fuel/spark timing and amounts. Restting the PCM 3 times in 1000 miles never allwos it to get to optimal learned conditions. Give it a month without restting the PCM before comparing your fuel mileage.

Also, don't bother with the fuel guage. Use miles driven and gallons filled (when topping off) to calulate mpg.

Old 01-18-2005 | 12:46 PM
APT
Double Post!

Old 01-18-2005 | 12:47 PM
APT
Tripple post!

Old 01-19-2005 | 12:03 PM
Banned
Re: no

Originally posted by openclasspro#11
the intake air temperature sensor- is used to tell pcm how much fuel for the mix- i said nothing about the manifold- and in the the winter most gas is ethanol blended for less emissions- heck exxon is that way all year around thats why it has such a low btu rating,not to mention so is mobil

I agree... but what i was saying is that the throttle body and the MAF are the only external instruments that know whats really going on with the motors air/fuel mixture (besides the O2 sensors and such... im speaking of pre intake sensors...) i have ran without my IAT even connected.... forgot to connect it after a tune up but i fixed that the next time i went under to look at it... but it ran fine without it, never noticed a difference in fuel economy, but it ran fine. I do know that it is used to determine whether or not to add a little more fuel, but you also have to remember that the injector timing is set in the ECM flash... so the difference is going to be minimal... (in my opinion anyways) ever hear of using resistors to rig your IAT to colder temps at all times? basically, all you do is take a standard radio shack resistor (ohm rating differs on application, and desired IAT rating....) and plug one end into each side of the IAT connector... then take a 35mm camera film tube, stick the new IAT contraption inside it, and electrical tape it off.... now your IAT will read like its 20 degrees outside even when its 110! LOL

Quick Reply: Fuel consumption