New '05 Magnaflow SI/SO

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005 | 04:42 PM
|
New '05 Magnaflow SI/SO

I just installed my new Magnaflow SI/SO cat-back on my truck...I hafta say, it was quite a bit more difficult that I thought it was going to be.

For all those swapping out exhasuts on your '05s, I found out the hard way that there is a little rivet on the TOP side of the stock intermediate pipe that prevents simply pullling the stock system off once unbolted. I had to bend the flap on the pipe coming off the cat to slide the rivet out from underneath. I was yanking all day (on the exhasut) and getting really pi$$ed off not making any progress. Once I solved the rivet mystery, it slid right off. This may sound confusing, but once you starting tinkering with it, you'll see what I mean.

The fitment of the Magnaflow was not very good with the stock hanger brackets....I had to turn the muffler so it is slanted under the truck to get all the hagers to line up with the rubber brackets...and even then it's not an exact fit.

After gettting it all tightened up, I took it for a ride (about 15 miles) and came back and found the system loosened up a bit. So I cranked 'em down as hard as I could, hopefully it'll stay this time.

I used to have a Borla on a different truck, and IMO the Magnaflow is a little louder, but not much. I really like the tone. I REALLY like the way it looks, very sharp.

Hopefully this info is useful for someone, I'm not a mechanic by any means so it took me about 3 hours.....most of it was time spent swearing and beating the hell out of the exhaust trying to get if off before discovering the little rivet. The instructions weren't very good and the diagram was more confusing than anything. Good luck! I am happy with it though, don't get me wrong. Sorry, no digital camera.

Old 02-22-2005 | 10:45 PM
Congrats on the Magnaflow!!!

Old 02-23-2005 | 07:45 AM
APT
Rockpick would love to see pictures.

Old 02-24-2005 | 09:59 PM
Moderator &
Originally posted by APT
Rockpick would love to see pictures.
Yes he would.

Thanks for the info on the install. If it happens to show up tomorrow, that'll be my weekend project but, more than likely, my NEXT weekend project.

RP

Old 02-24-2005 | 10:01 PM
Moderator &
Intermediate pipe? Can you guide me a bit closer? I don't know the exhaust lingo.

The rivot is on top?

Old 02-24-2005 | 10:02 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
Intermediate pipe? Can you guide me a bit closer? I don't know the exhaust lingo.

The rivot is on top?
RP, the intermediate pipe is the section between the cat and the muffler.

SL

Old 02-24-2005 | 10:03 PM
Moderator &
Originally posted by snappylips
RP, the intermediate pipe is the section between the cat and the muffler.

SL
Gotcha. Thanks for the info!

Old 02-25-2005 | 04:47 AM
|
Yes, the rivet is on the top of the intermediate pipe, the only way to actually see it is by sticking your head up there (got mine stuck for a sec) or with a mirror. The only way I could get my stock exhaust off was to bend a part of the pipe (cat extension pipe) to slide the rivet out from underneath....otherwise I don't see how the stock system can come off without cutting the hangers and rotating the whole system.....it's too hard to explain, you'll understand once you're underneath your truck.....unless I'm retarded and just didn't know what I was doing, which is also a possibility. Good luck!

Old 02-25-2005 | 11:43 PM
Moderator &
Thanks man...

My system didn't arrive today (I didn't think it would) so, just for giggles, I may crawl under the truck tomorrow and take a peek at what I'm getting in to...

There is a MIDAS shop about a half-block from my office... if it looks like it may be tricky, I may have them smack it on there. We'll see...

Thanks again for the insight!!

RP

Old 02-25-2005 | 11:58 PM
It's easy... Hit the fittings at both ends with DW40. The front fitting should have 2 bolts, loosen both and then this entire slip fitting should slide down onto the intermediate pipe. Leave this fitting on the intermediate pipe and put it back into position as your very last step after you have the new system in place. This makes it easier to get the front hanger into the rubber grommet. Loosen the clamp at the S-Bend and then the entire intermediate pipe can be rotated. It will only go in one direction.

I had absolutely no problem taking off the stock exhaust and I did it 3 different times...

KC-10 FE out...

Last edited by KC-10 FE; 02-26-2005 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-04-2005 | 09:31 PM
Moderator &
Thanks again for the help and pointers guys.... it goes on tomorrow.

RP

Old 03-05-2005 | 12:49 PM
Moderator &
Hey COP...

How did you end up busting that rivot? That thing is a BEAST!! (not your average rivot). I'm contemplating removing the entire cat out extension pipe and just working on it on the garage floor rather than while it's on the truck... thoughts?

RP

Old 03-05-2005 | 04:01 PM
Moderator &
Problem solved...

Old 03-05-2005 | 09:30 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
Problem solved...
What was the fix? Is the whole set-up on, and did you get a chance to open it up yet?

SL

Old 03-05-2005 | 09:46 PM
The muffler is keyed to the intermediate pipe, meaning you need to loosen it at the rear of the converter, and then twist the intermediate pipe and remove it. Kind of like an 1157 light bulb, only there is not spring pressure just turn and pull out.

I failed to read instructions, I don't need no stinkin instructions, and it took a little longer than i had planed but less than an hour for a cat back Banks system. Did have to adjust some hangers also.

Quick Reply: New '05 Magnaflow SI/SO