Dual exhaust, gas mileage, 90 Lincoln Towncar

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005 | 02:19 AM
|
Question Dual exhaust, gas mileage, 90 Lincoln Towncar

I have A 1990 Lincoln towncar that i am trying to get better gas mileage with, its a 5.0 302. people say it would improve due to better flow off the engine, with a 40 Series Flowmaster. (dual) i have 2 cats off of each header, they wil cut the 2nd one off, and just use the precat. what do you all think?

Old 02-27-2005 | 04:12 PM
1990 town car with a flowmaster, sounds a little cheesy to me? You might try a high flow cat and a new exhaust with a well flowing but quiet single in/ dual out muffler, and run it out the back. Check the state of engine tune and replace plugs, fuel filter, air filter(K&N), etc. Things like that would help a bit, or at least show some improvement.

It's a big heavy car with a borderline engine size. Ford did the same thing to me on an 86 Conversion van. 302 on a 5300+ lb. van. It can't even get out of it's own way, lol.,,,,98

Old 02-27-2005 | 04:14 PM
And if they're suggesting that, you probably have no inspections in your area. Am I right?

Old 02-27-2005 | 10:43 PM
|
well, ive seen the towncars with the dual exhaust, its nice... but, ive did all youve said, new autolites, a new fuel pump and filiter, air filter... all that stuff... its not going to be a loud scream, i wouldnt allow that, just a nice deep rumble... lol... and no, their are no vehicle inspections in south florida i dont think, at least not in broward, (fort lauderdale)

Old 02-28-2005 | 07:54 AM
Thumbs up

Did you do a paper filter, or a high flow such as K&N etc? It's worth it if only for improved sound and throttle repsonse. As for exhaust I guess this is before ford used four cats on V8's? I've never looked under a town car of that era. I have another truck which I want to dual, which uses one huge cat, and single 2 1/2. I am buying an unused dynomax superconvertor from some one, Y-ing behind that, and using two 2 inch mufflers out the back. Check if your car has two mufflers, since ford was famous for that. A 77 model Ford I owned had two big mufflers, inline on a single exhaust. I cut off the back one, and gained at least 10HP out of the deal. My guess is that it was pretty restrictive.,,,,98

Old 02-28-2005 | 11:45 AM
|
i have 2 cats, to a flange, on each pipe, goes into a Y, into a muffler.... is an idiotic setup

Old 03-01-2005 | 08:57 AM
while this may get you 1-2 mpg (being generous), think about how much its gonna cost to do compared to how much gas you can buy with the money. unless you drive a ton, i couldn't imagine it would be worthwhile, and if you do drive a ton, i'd guess that you'd be driving something a little better on gas.

Old 03-03-2005 | 01:54 PM
i think a town car would be sweet with some loud tones...in a luxurious policecar sort of way...

your looking at mabye 2-3 mpg if your lucky.
BTW i recently put a dual flowmaster setup on my moms taurus. you should see the looks she gets at the orchid club

Quick Reply: Dual exhaust, gas mileage, 90 Lincoln Towncar