F-150 rusted exhaust studs@manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005 | 09:51 PM
Had the same problem on mine. Did a temporary fix last Christmas (because, well, its too damn cold in Buffalo to do a real fix). My problem was that the bolts on the flange at the bottom of the manifold had rusted out. A special clamp is sold just for this purpose. Similar to a C-clamp, but one arm has almost like a pin to go into the hole and the other has a cup to fit over the stud. The pin can be swapped out and you can use two cups if the stud is coming out at both ends. Tighten er up, and problem solved.

It wouldnt work for the studs at the block, but on the flange where it goes back towards the rest of the exhaust system it worked perfectly.

Old 04-03-2005 | 11:08 PM
Mine are really rusted too.
Should I try to get them fixed right away (before more rust), or just run it ??

Old 04-04-2005 | 04:09 PM
Talking

Depends if you want to spend the money. I have to replace mine. I have a nice leak at the exhaust manifolds. So, I ordered some JBA "shorties" from Mike T to replace mine. My truck is running *really* lean right now. Oh yea, I threw in a cutomer tune for the heck of it!!

Old 04-05-2005 | 12:41 PM
i would go ahead and fix it before they get real bad. I bought a set of pacestter shorties from summit for a good price (oround 200) and a set of felpro gaskets. i also had to buy a set of damaged bolt removers from sears. (about $40). it took about 6 hours. a little agravating of a job but it fixed the noises i had coming from my engine bay.

Old 04-06-2005 | 07:21 PM
|
the guy that replaced mine said that the manifolds were so far gone that it would have been senseless to just replace the studs

Quick Reply: F-150 rusted exhaust studs@manifolds