F-150 rusted exhaust studs@manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005 | 09:14 AM
|

i have just joined this forum today because a week ago i purchased 1998 ford f 150 i shopped around for a long time and found this truck which is in mint condition. when i took the truck on a test drive i could hear an exhaust leak coming from what seemed to be coming out of a donut gasket well i mentioned it to the dealer and he said that they would fix it so i bought the truck. i didn't get it fixed that day because i had to get back to work so they said bring it in anytime an we will take care of it well yesterday the noise got louder so i crawled under the truck to investigate and found the manifolds are really rusted out and the 4 rear studs are completly gone its like the heads are rusted off i have a 1970 ford bronco that the exhaust manifolds are in 10 times shape than these my question is this did ford use some poor metal and how many other people are having this problem? if a vehicle is 7 or less years old and the studs and manifolds are rusting that bad something is wrong here!!!!!!! sorry for being so long winded can anyone reply?

Old 03-07-2005 | 10:42 AM
Welcome ! Yes, posts like this are common. More could snap off during removal. Repairs are straight-forward using aluminum head precautions. There's a bunch of similar posts in the archives if you want quick, lengthy information.

Old 03-08-2005 | 05:23 PM
|
just wondering if they all have these problems or just a select few you would think ford would fix it somehow or there could be a lot of mad customers down the road

Old 03-09-2005 | 03:57 PM
everyone that i personally know with this truck has the same prob.

Old 03-10-2005 | 03:42 PM
I have 98 F-150 w/ the 5.4 and have the same problem. Back studs are gone and also collector studs too. It even rusted a hole right through the auto trans fill tube and oil dipstick so keep and eye on that as well. Are there and suggestions for good replacements?

Old 03-13-2005 | 11:33 PM

I had the same problem with 98 expedition. It started as a leak and turns out the mainfold studs broke/were eaten away on both side at the back. 3 local Ford dealers said there was a problem with the combination of aluminum heads, cast manifolds and a third metal for the studs. A call to Ford Consumer Help says they are unaware of any problem. A word of caution, you are doing the replacement yourself, shop around for the EGR tube and fittings! Good luck finding one! It will be rusted fast to the manifld and you'll have to cut it to get the old manifold out. I put headers on mine for a little more more and fuel mileage. Now I have a nagging leak around the Y-pipe joint! Thinking I should have went with new manifolds. We'll see.

Old 03-14-2005 | 07:11 AM
|
i'm sure that they have been getting some kind of feedback from the dealerships by the time the bolts rust off it is going to run into a costly fix for anyone and for them to simply ignore this and let the people who purchased this vehicle pay all the repair expenses is not very good for business just think how many other people have this problem not in this forum what would this cost to take to a dealer to get fixed properly?

Old 03-14-2005 | 07:45 PM
Originally posted by acestony
by the time the bolts rust off it is going to run into a costly fix for anyone and for them to simply ignore this and let the people who purchased this vehicle pay all the repair expenses is not very good for business
You know, you'd think that they would feel that way, but it just ain't so. My truck has this problem (along with many others- too many others) and when the 3/36 warranty ended, so did Ford's caring. I made one last phone call to Ford Customer Relations in an effort to let Ford keep my future business....

And the crappy attitude they gave me is the reason that tomorrow I will be picking up my new Silverado. I know lots of guys here will think I'm crazy for buying GM, but from where I sit - and considering how much I've had to spend to keep this thing on the road, I couldn't justify giving Ford any more of my hard-earned dollars.

Old 03-15-2005 | 05:22 PM
|
my truck is going to the dealership next week to get fixed i am curious as to how they are going to fix it i told them that i wanted it fixed right and if they do great but i have my doubts i just can't believe that someone hasn't complaned enough about this to them just goes to show you how ignorant these big companies are this is the first ford truck that i have owned and probably will be my last

Old 03-15-2005 | 05:43 PM
Lightbulb

My truck has rusted bolts as well. Even after they replaced the head gaskets, lower, upper intake and timing cover gaskets because I had oil in the coolant. (You know, that little pesky gasket problem that ford had for the 97-98 v6's)

Would replacing manifold bolts now with better aftermarket ones solve the problems for us? Good excuse to get headers for my application anyway....

Old 03-17-2005 | 11:31 PM
You have found one of Ford's common '97-up F-150 problems. I have replaced bolts on two different pickups so far. They are not really difficult to replace, but it is a time consuming process. One reminder is that the studs are metric thread, and it is better to buy replacements at Ford. The key is to take your time! The studs are relatively soft and easy to drill out, but you need to find a short drill that will fit in there. When you get the stud drilled, drive an extractor in only far enough so you can lock into the stud, then work it in and out because the first thread or two in the head is kinda mashed when Ford first set the studs. Go slow and the stud will eventually walk itself out. It's extremely rare, but you can try a left hand drill and try to remove the stud that way first. On the manifold ears, heat it with an oxy/acetylene torch and heat it red hot and the stud will come out a squeakin' all the way! Generally four short studs and nuts and four manifold to pipe studs and nuts run about $45. Good luck

Old 03-18-2005 | 10:52 PM
Ford update says use "new" stainless studs and nuts...

Old 03-18-2005 | 11:34 PM
Question

Originally posted by 97xlt
Ford update says use "new" stainless studs and nuts...
When did they say to do this? Curious to see if my bolts and studs were stainless when hey replaced them.

Old 03-19-2005 | 08:27 AM
|
isn't there a safety issue here also exhaust fumes entering the cab it seems that if you have a faulty piece in your steering column they will recall it and repair it because if your steering would lock up it would cause an accident well if you pass out because of exhaust fumes it would also cause an accident right and just because they didn't do the proper research on the steel whoever owns one of these trucks can expect a big expense to repair them they should have used the bolts that they use to hold the box on in that commercial where the guy walks under it

Old 03-30-2005 | 05:46 PM
|
i just got my truck back today and they replaced both exhaust manifolds and all the studs the service tec said it took 2 days to remove and install the new ones he said the bill was in the $2000. range thank god i didn't have to pay any of it they said there was no other way to fix it properly a word of advise if your thinking about buying one of these trucks check the exhaust manifolds and save yourself some grief!!!!! thanks for all the help

Quick Reply: F-150 rusted exhaust studs@manifolds