Exhaust, Di/do Vs The H-pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005 | 01:32 PM
|
Exhaust, Di/do Vs The H-pipe?

I currently have a dual setup on my 04 F150, I had true duals run from the cats back. It was cut above the Y and run down the passenger side of the truck. Problem was, the shop where I had it done, installed some cheap Vortex brand mufflers under it, swearing about how much better they were than FM. Well after running the truck like this for about a month, I would have to disagree. Problem is now, I live in Fairbanks AK, so my choices are limited, we have a Midas up here and they are pushing the Ravin muffler. I was considering the DI/DO muffler, since my current pipes are so close together anyway. And I was curious as to whether this type of muffler would eliminate the need for an H-Pipe? Any advice out there? Let me know. Thanks

Old 03-09-2005 | 08:14 PM
some mufflers have an H pipe built in.. im not sure if the big brands have it but i would put an H pipe about 2-3 feet behind where the front y pipe used to be... then have a dual in dual out muffler.

Old 03-10-2005 | 03:10 PM
|
RACERF150MAN, Thanks for the advice, I actually got a reply from the company (Ravin Exhaust), this moring also. They said that the DI/DO muffler would in fact eliminate the need for and H-Pipe. So I actually had it installed this morning. A 77 series Ravin DI/DO. Other than getting A** raped on the price at Midas. I am much happier with the sound and the low end. It seems to be back to where it was before I had the duals put on. Of course I haven't Dyno'ed it, and probably won't. It just feels better at the accelerator getting on the expressways and around town. And the sound drops off to almost un-noticeable at cruising speed. But it definately lets you know its there under acceleration. To sum it up, I would recommend it if asked. On a side note, it was 278.00 installed, and the FM DI/DO was 230.00 just over the counter, and another 75.00 to install up here, and I would have to order it.

Old 03-10-2005 | 07:03 PM
thats good that it ended the H pipe worry.. wow you did get a** raped lol... i never went to a midas i got a local shop that does great work at a decent price. you said you had the true duals already and they STILL charged u that much! that thing better last til gas goes extinct!

Old 03-10-2005 | 07:14 PM
|
I live in Fairbanks Alaska, no competition up here for anything. We have three or four muffler shops, but Midas is the only one who has a nationwide warranty. The others are just mom and pop places, and they charge alacart basically. Labor is 75.00 an hr, and then you pay for parts, plus there mark up. If you bring your own parts then you normally pay a higher hourly rate. You have to love it.

Old 03-10-2005 | 07:19 PM
haha yup... they find a way to F*ck you anyway they can

Quick Reply: Exhaust, Di/do Vs The H-pipe?