i feel so overwhelmed by exhausts!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005 | 10:57 PM
|
i feel so overwhelmed by exhausts!!!

i been reading about exhausts for about 2 days now and im kinda confused with all the terminology....what is a straight pipe, so/si, turndown pipe, single to dual, dual to dual, is stainless steel better than other exhausts? whats a full exhaust and whats a catback...what are tips...

would someone please just layout how everything works cuz im so confused about all this i have more terms i cant remember but yeah.....i thought i knew some of this stuff but it seems 3 months in auto- tech didnt do me much good,

thanks for any replies...
Tommy

Old 03-17-2005 | 02:16 AM
what is a straight pipe, so/si, turndown pipe, single to dual, dual to dual, is stainless steel better than other exhausts? whats a full exhaust and whats a catback...what are tips...
Straight pipes are exhausts with no mufflers, like i have, that are llllooooouuudddd and sound very good. Turndown pipe is having the exhaust pipe turned down underneath your truck, pointing towards the ground. Lots more sound from echos off the ground. Single - to - dual means taking 1 exhaust pipe, welding in a Y pipe, splitting it into 2 pipes. Looks just like a Y. Cat back exhaust is a single inlet muffler, with dual outlets to run tailpipes off of. Its used from the catalytic converts back so you dont have to touch them. Tips are the ends of the exhaust pipes, usually chrome or stainless steel. THey provide a little more deeper sound from your pipes and enhance appearance.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-18-2005 | 12:40 PM
What he ^ said w/ pictures. I like pictures...

Strait Pipes = No muffler
SI/SO= Single Inelt/Single Outlet Muffler

SI/DO = Single Inlet/Dual Outlet Muffler

continued.....

Last edited by kbldawg; 03-18-2005 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-18-2005 | 12:42 PM
DI/DO = Dual Inlet/Dual Outlet Muffler

Cat Back Exhaust System = Prefrabricated exhaust system.

Y-Pipe = used for a Single Inlet setup

continued...

Old 03-18-2005 | 12:45 PM
X-Pipe = Used for dual strait pipes, dual cat back system, or dual mufflers.

Turndown Tip = A tip that turns down

Hope this helps.

Last edited by kbldawg; 03-18-2005 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-18-2005 | 01:30 PM
Dawg Gone It!

You sure covered all the bases, dawg ... good job. Except ... what do you know about resonating tips?

I think I'm gonna go with your exhaust set-up ... twin 12225 Magnaflows. Are you still digging yours?

Thanks!

ragarm

Old 03-19-2005 | 11:36 PM
ragarm,

I have never owned any resonating tips, I've heard plenty of trucks with them, and most of the time, I think they sound pretty good. Just like anything else though, you can go too far.

It may be quite difficult to get a set of those tips to exit out the side (like my setup), because there is so little room. This is just a guess though, it may not be that big of a deal at all, but it is something I would check on, before I bought some large tips.

As far as my exhaust system goes, I love it!! Especially after adding the AirForce One and Xcalibrator. I think you can probably get more horsepower out of the SI/SO setup, but not much.

Quick Reply: i feel so overwhelmed by exhausts!!!