can I do it myself?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005 | 10:39 PM
|
Question can I do it myself?

Hey folks,, great info on here..

I was thinking about buying a magneflow kit and doing the install myself... is this possible? I read a lot of posts of people taking theirs to a shop... help me out!

Last edited by KP SCAB; 03-19-2005 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-20-2005 | 12:09 AM
I've put two different exhaust on my truck, a Banks & a Gibson. I was a mechanic for 9 years and I do 90% of the maintenance on my two motorcyles. That being said, it took me longer to remove the stock exhaust both times than it did to install either aftermarket kit.

If you are mechanically competent and know your way around a tool box, you'll have no problem. All you'll need is a jack & stands or ramps, two sockets, a sawzall or cut-off wheel & some DW-40. I didn't bother looking at the instructions for either kit.

Go for it, doing your own work is fun and rewarding. Just remember, no job is complete until your christened it with you own blood...

KC-10 FE out...

Old 03-20-2005 | 11:24 AM
I, on the other hand, feel comfortable around cars and tools but have never replaced an exhaust, and found the $100 shop installation cost and three hours without my truck to be totally worth it.

The reward is nice for doing it yourself, and I don't have that, but I just step on the gas a little harder and let the exhaust sing its happy tune, and I forget about that.

Old 03-22-2005 | 05:10 AM
Do you have to put it up on jack stands or ramps to accomplish the install? I was going to do my own but I don't have either.

Old 03-22-2005 | 11:50 AM
RE:

I was going to post this same question. I have done some research and magnaflow seems to be the popular pick. I plan to order it online. If I decide not to do it myself, how likely is a shop going to be to put on the system I bring with me and how much will they try to charge?

thanks

Old 03-22-2005 | 04:36 PM
Ramps are $20 at any PepBoys. If you can afford a $300+ exhaust system, you should be able to afford some ramps. A jack & stands are about $150 at Sears. I wouldn't try with out the truck being raised.

KC-10 FE out...

Old 03-23-2005 | 01:11 AM
i recently put a gibson cat back on my 97 4x4. before that, the only thing i installed myself was a mossyoak camo steering wheel cover. i had all the tools except i didn't jack it up or nothing. took about an hour in the driveway in the dark with a flashlight (couldn't wait till morning).

Old 03-23-2005 | 06:37 AM
Re: RE:

Originally posted by rth1981
I was going to post this same question. I have done some research and magnaflow seems to be the popular pick. I plan to order it online. If I decide not to do it myself, how likely is a shop going to be to put on the system I bring with me and how much will they try to charge?

thanks
The muffler shop I went to did it without hesitation. Removal of the old one, installation of the new catback system, all welded up (no clamps ) was $100, and I got the factory exhaust back.

Old 03-23-2005 | 04:36 PM
Re: Re: RE:

Originally posted by phenom
The muffler shop I went to did it without hesitation. Removal of the old one, installation of the new catback system, all welded up (no clamps ) was $100, and I got the factory exhaust back.

Gosh, you must have alot of room in your garage to store that Spacestation sized factory mullfer. I just told them to trash it all.

Old 03-24-2005 | 07:14 AM
three bays, so yes.

Gotta keep something in there until I can afford that Mustang.