Need Help With Deciding System

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 10:32 PM
csonka
Arrow Need Help With Deciding System

I have a 1995 Ford F-150 Ext. Cab XLT 302 Short Bed.

It has the OEM Exhaust system.

I want to replace it. I have questions and want to know answers and why.

I want the exaust to be able to blow out more than factory, sound a little louder but not obnoxious. I'd like to see just a little gain of HP and tq. I will install K&N filter and intake now. I am looking at using a Flowmaster 50 series muffler.

What size pipe should I use?

Is it a waste of effort if I keep my stock headers?

Should I install a catback system?

By just replacing the muffler only, would I see and hear a difference?

If I had the money, I'd get new headers and do true duals. But I want to price a single pipe, low restriction system. Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it.

Regards,
Patrick

Old 05-20-2005, 02:32 PM
csonka
Come on, Anybody?

Old 05-20-2005, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forget the Flowmasters & go with a full cat-back system from the aftermarket. The reason is the lifetime warranty. Many like Flowmaster for the sound but you're not going to get any kind of warranty from them unless the installing shop offers you one. If you go with a stainless steel system from any one of a number of companies, Gibson, Borla, Magnaflow, JBA, etc you get a system specifically engineered for your truck. With the FM your going to get some crush bent aluminized pipes that the guy at the muffler shop will tell you any number of lies about how long it will last & how much power you'll get out of it. One guy in my squadron has 40 Series Flowmaster dual with 3" chrome tips. In less than 7 months, the muffler is already rusting, so are the pipes & the tips have already been replaced. I personally wouldn't use Flowmaster on anything but that's my opinion. Lots of people do use FM and like them but I like a warranty better. My Gibson has been on my truck since Dec 04 thru the salty NJ winter and there is absolutely no rust anywhere on any part of the entire cat-back system. The only exception is the weld at the tip. I had a 4" x 18" SS tip put on for looks and the weld has minor surface rust. It will come off with a wire brush when I finally get around to detailing my truck.

Magnaflow seems to be the recommended choice on Fords but I went with Gibson (Gibson's are probably the quietest exhausts on the aftermarket) strictly because I didn't want a very loud exhaust. I was looking for a mileage increase and I got about 1.5 MPG better with the single inlet/single outlet with 3" pipes. I called several companies for tech data on their products and EVERY SINGLE ONE said that single exhaust with 3" pipes are going to make more power than duals with 2.5" pipes. You want more power & better mileage, go with a SI/SO 3" full SS system. You want more noise & better looks (subjective, I think single exhaust looks better) go with a SI/DO with 2.5" pipes & 3" tips.

My $0.02...

KC-10 FE out...

Old 05-20-2005, 06:44 PM
csonka
Thank you very much for that convincing bit of two cents. Myself, I like SI/SO. I'll probably stick with that, that sounds great. Do you think by going with Gibson, or who ever, I'll have a lot of restriction?

I've decided now I want only SI/SO configuration.

If I go the route of full catback system with 3" pipes all through, and use say Magnaflow or Borla, do you think that when I start it up I'll hear that nice little suttle growl? That is what I want, I don't want anything loud though. When I drive or accelerate, I won't mind a little noise, but you know, nothing that obnoxious like the graps and pops from glasspacks that yell, "Hey, I have a bitchen exhaust, let's race." I just want something louder than OEM, and pushes out more air.

I don't have a large concern for rust right now. I am more concerned with body rust. I live in PA myself and and feeling the pains of winter saltings. First year I have rust on it, almost 10 years with no rust, what a shame.

Anyhow, thanks again, let me know what you all think.

Old 05-20-2005, 07:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Gibson 3" SI/SO Cat-Back with 4"tip. On since June of '01. Nice quiet rumble, increases a bit under acceleration. I like this system, and incidentally, Gibson guarantees it for off road. (don't know if that applies to you as your profile is darn skimpy) Mine is the aluminized steel, not the SS which is much more pricey.

Old 05-20-2005, 07:44 PM
Flowmasters rust out faster than Jesus can come back in the blink of an eye. The company said Okla. was unusually wet. HA HA , my butt!!!!

Old 05-21-2005, 01:03 AM
From what I read on this board, maybe 1 in 10 thinks Magnaflow is too loud. I've never heard a Borla on any truck, let alone a Ford. The only cars I've ever heard them on were Camaro's/Firebirds & Vette's. They sounded like music to me but I always liked the 3 of them anyway. I'd wager that 65% of this board thinks Magnaflow is the way to go. I wanted the quietest system possible that would give me a mileage increase, hence the Gibson. No matter what anyone tells you, spend the extra $150 and go with the full ss. No warranty if you don't. I think Magnaflow only comes in ss anyway. No matter what, a full ss cat-back exhaust is probably the best money you can spend on upgrades next to the excalibrator (next item on my list) that everyone talks about.

KC-10 FE out...

Old 05-21-2005, 12:24 PM
csonka
I beleive I am going to choose from either between Gibson and Magnaflow. I just need to hear some clips and choose which is best for my needs, as well as an increase in performance without being so noisy. Thank yo uvery much all for the suggestions, I'll post pics and sound clips up once this is done and over.

Old 05-21-2005, 09:42 PM
Like the others said...avoid the Flow Master and go with the Gibson or MagnaFlow! I just installed my MagnaFlow SISO Cat-Back. It's a very well built system and it's definately not too loud. It has a nice deep rumble too it

https://secure54.softcomca.com/hotte...com/Index2.htm is where I purchased the Magna Flow Cat-back for $369 and FREE S&H with the savings code FORDTRUCK8....regular price is $460.

Last edited by JerseyGeorge; 05-21-2005 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:50 PM
csonka
Well, I decided on a Gibson SI/SO aluminized steel configuration. 301 Dollars and free shipping. I'll post pics and sound clips online later. Thanks gain much to all those who contributed. Take care for now.

Old 05-28-2005, 03:33 PM
csonka
Gibson kit came in the mail, installed it, sounds good, check out the gallery.

Quick Reply: Need Help With Deciding System