What are Glass Packs? Any good?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are Glass Packs? Any good?

I've read severl posts where somebody suggested glass packs instead of a conventional muffler. What are they, and why are they supposed to be loud.

I just had my exhaust re-done on my truck because I didn't like the sound of the previous muffler, and the side exit setup caused a leak in the rear axel seal.

My new setup is much louder than the old one. I've got a V-Force muffler (SI/DO) with dual exit behing the rear wheel. But if these glass pack things are louder, I wanna try them out.

Old 05-29-2005, 01:27 PM
I've never really been a fan. They kinda give the exhaust a "slapping" sound if you will. And reminds me of an old car.

To each thier own.

By the way, those blackout covers on your headlights are awesome!

Old 05-29-2005, 02:13 PM

Last edited by MoorePowerToYou; 08-05-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-29-2005, 02:41 PM
glasspacks are basically tubes filled with fiberglass, hence the name "GLASS"-"PACK" b/c they are packed with 'glass
Plus side they are very inexpensive, a lot of people dont like the sound though
You say you want it loud? sure glasspacks are loud, (they get louder as they get older, BTW, the fiberglass breaks in), but if you really want loud, take out the mufflers, and straight pipe it

Old 05-29-2005, 02:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, glasspacks are probably the original performance muffler. They are basically a perforated or louvered tube which is wrapped in fiberglass contained in a straight metal pipe. The fiberglass burns out over time and this makes them get louder. They tend to give engines a "raspy" sound and they tend to create a "popping" or "crackling" noise when you back off the gas pedal.

Old 05-29-2005, 03:13 PM
Well, if thats the case then I probally stick with my muffler. I like a deep loud tone, not a raspy crackling sound.

BTW, the guy at my local muffler shop who did my exhaust told me that I can't run no muffler because it will screw up the O2 sensors. Any one heard of this before?

I'm happy with my new setup, so I'll probally keep it. Just was curious as to what a glass pack was.

Thanks for the replies and insight guys.

Old 05-29-2005, 04:21 PM
i personally like the glasspack sound but the loudest i ever heard was a chevy, it has no cats and true dual strait pipes, it sounds like a popcorn machine but itll wake the dead

Old 05-31-2005, 11:44 AM
Your exhaust guy is wrong

These trucks are fine to run no mufflers on. Ive been running no mufflers for over 2 years now...no problems whatsoever, and as far as im concerned, its the best sounding exhaust out there. Its loud, deep, and crackles a slight amount every now and then. The "snapping" or "crackling" sound is mainly heard on vehicles that dont have converters on them, like the old small block 70's-80's Fords/Chevys. They start to sound wicked with no converters.Your O2 sensors wont be affected one bit, as long as you dont touch your cat. converters.
You want your truck to be loud, heard, and deep/powerful sounding, true dual straight pipes off of the converters is THE way to go...trust me.
If you end up not liking the sound, go back and have a set of mufflers welded in. I doubt you'd go back to mufflers though after hearing straights for a while, unless you drive highway alot. Simple as that.

Last edited by Green_98; 05-31-2005 at 11:48 AM.

Quick Reply: What are Glass Packs? Any good?