Need Header Advice....

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005 | 01:03 PM
|
Need Header Advice....

Hello all,

I am looking into headers for my 2003 F150 Supercrew 5.4 Liter. Right now I am running 2.5 inch true duals with a H-pipe connected to Flow Master 50 Series mufflers.

I am having a hard time finding headers for my truck. I have used Hedman in the past and I don't think they make them for this year and model. Anyone out here have headers with a simular setup?

Please send links or advice on who has the best for the money headers.

Thanks EJ

Old 07-05-2005 | 04:02 PM
PaceSetter and JBA both make headers for your (our) application. I'm actually looking into a set for my 5.4 right now...

Old 07-08-2005 | 02:58 PM
Banned for Use of Multiple Usernames
Search this site - you will see that headers do nothing for our trucks.

Old 07-08-2005 | 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Jeeps&Fords
Search this site - you will see that headers do nothing for our trucks.
I've seen mixed info all over the web...some people who've installed shorty's say they noticed a bit of difference others say no difference at all....I've looked at dyno sheets provided by header manufacturers for an F150 before and after headers and there is an improvement in torque and horsepower across the entire rpm range, so how people can say there is no improvement is beyond me.

Unless of course they are solely basing their experience on their 1/4 et and mph......which they are way too many other factors that play into that.....we won't even start talking about that. I've been drag racing for 10 years.....I know a few things about it I believe....

Old 07-10-2005 | 09:02 AM
APT
Why does one want to replace their headers? More performance? Then ditch the Flowmasters and get an engineered cat-back system.

Old 07-10-2005 | 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by APT
Why does one want to replace their headers? More performance? Then ditch the Flowmasters and get an engineered cat-back system.

If you had half a clue about what you were talking about you'd know that a good set of headers (long tubes) will significantly increase your hp and tq when simply combined with a free flowing muffler.

The whole cat back thing is nothing much more than a marketing scam really, especially on these trucks. You add a $500 cat back system and don't gain any more power than you would by just swapping out the muffler. Reason being is you still have the huge restriction of the cat. cons.

Old 07-11-2005 | 10:11 AM
APT
issanni, if you had half a clue about F-150's, you'd know that the stock cats flow very well. No one has proven more torque than the Magnaflow cat-back system, which can be had for Flowmaster, despite their name, have some of the lowest flowing aftermarket mufflers.

Change the headers, great! But don't waste money on Flowmaster mufflers if you care about performance.

Old 07-11-2005 | 10:29 AM

And what testing have you done to prove this fact about Flowmaster or are you just going of the "statements" made here on this forum? Which series flowmaster muffler are you speaking of?

(no I don't work for flowmaster nor do I have any vested interest in their company)

Originally Posted by APT
issanni, if you had half a clue about F-150's, you'd know that the stock cats flow very well. No one has proven more torque than the Magnaflow cat-back system, which can be had for Flowmaster, despite their name, have some of the lowest flowing aftermarket mufflers.

Change the headers, great! But don't waste money on Flowmaster mufflers if you care about performance.

Old 07-12-2005 | 09:44 AM
APT
I, personally, have done no testing. Just rely on key respected people/companies. I have yet to see a dyno chart showing any Flowmaster muffler has given more power to an F-150 than Magnaflow cat-back system.

I quote from Mike Troyer:

"This is the F-150 exhaust system you've been hearing about. We spent 23 months testing virtually all of the "name brand" cat-back exhaust systems on the market for the Ford F-150 platform, in SISO, SIDO & DIDO configurations. This Magnaflow was the only F-150 system that showed positive torque gains at any throttle position tested, as well as at any rpm. There is NONE of the usual torque loss below 3000 rpm that is so common with almost all truck & SUV cat-back exhaust systems.

This 3" single Magnaflow cat-back exhaust even gained more peak HP than any true-dual exhaust system we tested, along with gaining torque *everywhere*, a clear demonstration of superior flow engineering specifically for these heavy trucks. Simply put, you can't get a better result with any other commercial cat-back or muffler shop system."

ONE04FX4 posted this, except the Magnaflow muffler was their turbo baffle stye, not their straight through design.

"All tests via an independent lab
All tests @ 15” wc

2 “ Straight Pipe 283 CFM
2 ¼ “ Straight Pipe 365 CFM
2 ½ “ Straight Pipe 521 CFM

2 ¼” Typical Bent tailpipe 268 CFM
2 ½” Typical Bent Tailpipe 417 CFM

2 ¼” Inlet/Outlet_ Glass Pack Tips- No Louvers- Smooth 274 CFM
2 ¼” Inlet/Outlet- Glass Pack Tips-Louvered 133 CFM
Same as above set for reverse flow 141 CFM
2 ¼” Cherry Bomb 239 CFM
2 ½” Cherry Bomb 294 CFM

2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Dynomax Super Turbo 278 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Ultraflow Bullet 512 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Gibson Superflow 267 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Flowmaster ( 2 Chamber) 249 CFM
2 ½” Inlet Outlet Flowmaster ( 3 Chamber) 229 CFM
2 ¼” Inlet/Outlet Thrush CVX 260 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Maremount Cherry Bomb 298 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Hooker Aero Chamber 324 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Hooker Max Flow 521 CFM
2 ½” Inlet/Outlet Borla Turbo 373 CFM
2 1/2" Inlet/Outlet Magnaflow 284 CFM

Standard OEM 2 ¼” Inlet/Outlet 138-152 CFM
Standard OEM 2 ½” Inlet/Outlet 161-197 CFM"

Old 07-13-2005 | 11:22 AM
Ok I have heard nothing good about flowmaster 's I have the american thunder on my 70 chevelle SS 396 huge improvement from stock and I run a series 50 in my 76 trans-am another big improvement over stock, now I installed the series 50 SI/SO cat back system from flowmaster on my 04 fx4 5.4 and I pull a 5th wheel camper, well another improvement over stock not much a low end 12-1500 rpm's big noticeable difference in the 2200-2800 rpm range and very little cabin drone..

Old 07-13-2005 | 03:22 PM
Banned for Use of Multiple Usernames
Originally Posted by issanni
If you had half a clue about what you were talking about you'd know that a good set of headers (long tubes) will significantly increase your hp and tq when simply combined with a free flowing muffler.

The whole cat back thing is nothing much more than a marketing scam really, especially on these trucks. You add a $500 cat back system and don't gain any more power than you would by just swapping out the muffler. Reason being is you still have the huge restriction of the cat. cons.
You are showing that you truly know nothing about our trucks. Search the site, read the results. Learn more about a subject before you start spouting off.

Quick Reply: Need Header Advice....